BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Is this writer from GIRLS racist, stupid or cleverly ironic?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos
    Why are there no black cast members on How I met your mother?

I suddenly feel very betrayed by Neil Patrick Harris.
    Wayne Brady is recurring as Barney's brother, but isn't a regular.

*cue Paul Mooney/Dave Chappelle Wayne Brady jokes
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    -Grant Morrison

You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.
    -Cormac McCarthy

Re: Is this writer from GIRLS racist, stupid or cleverly ironic?

Quote Originally Posted by S. Earl View Post
    Dude, about 5 pages back I said I wasn't talking about members here's opinions, I was just saying "Yes - there is a wave of this show is too white Racist?" opinion going on else where. That was all. Never claimed you personally were playing the race card.
    I know you aren't talking about members opinions here. That bit of fictional dialogue isn't meant to be directed at you. as far as the article you linked to, my comment on it linking to the article that I've been talking about is me realizing we have not all been talking about the same set of articles. I'm not considering the tweet response or blog posts that I'm not familiar with. that being said, it would be naive of me to think absolutely no one accused the show of being racist. It's the internet, someone somewhere just post a 7000 blog about the show pushing the zionist agenda down our throats. My comment was about the articles that I've mentioned off and on in this thread and specifically the hairpin article that was mocked pretty heavily by the Vice writer.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Wow - I always love how the dialogue on this board descends into someone calling someone else a racist because the high minded liberals dont like to discuss things.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    You are too smart for me Kedd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kedd View Post
    The difference between a sitcom and a show like GIRLS is the perception of realism presented by the creators.. I feel betrayed by the false equivalencies people bring to the table.
    Actually, I'd say the reverse. "Friends" or "How I Met Your Mother" are supposed to be slice-of-life sitcoms about modern day NY. The argument there is a lot stronger.

Meanwhile, "Girls" is about an extremely small slice of life that's heavily based off the writer's life, so the focus being smaller and less diverse makes more sense to me.

I say having watched only one of those three shows.
    Join the Prime-Punch revolution!
    http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ead.php?210786

Spoiler:

Buy The Gathering!

www.grayhavencomics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kedd View Post
    I'm going to assume you skipped over the part where I said that the articles with which I agree are not suggesting the characters have to have non-white friends and that more glaring issue is that Brooklyn itself is very whitewashed in the show. And that they are also saying the show is very relatable but it would be nice to a see a diverse cast, not mandatory. So...there's that. I mean, I don't get how saying: "It'd be nice if I saw a more realistic representation of race on the screen." becomes "They should force some non-white people into the show". I wish I could though.
    Ah.

The few minutes of this show I watched made me cringe, but what sort of Brooklyn locations did they deal with? The place is very, very divided into little enclaves. Same for Queens. I went to a few different locations there, and each one is basically like a different city.
    Join the Prime-Punch revolution!
    http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ead.php?210786

Spoiler:

Buy The Gathering!

www.grayhavencomics.com

Looks like Donald Glover will be solving the show Girls' race problem it doesn't have next season:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/looks...on-girls.html?
    Winter is Coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthman
    Looks like Donald Glover will be solving the show Girls' race problem it doesn't have next season:

I read his character is named "Guy in front of nightclub who steals Girl #2's Purse"

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthman View Post

"When I repair your air conditioner, you might get scared because I'm the True Repairman, and I know how do things."
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan the Shaggy View Post
    Shut up Mike!

Oh come on, that doesn't count! Donald Glover isn't really, ya know, "black" black. They might as well get Wayne Brady!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE D View Post
    "When I repair your air conditioner, you might get scared because I'm the True Repairman, and I know how do things."

And really Vulture - the overlap of Community watchers and Girls is laughably small? I'm betting you wouldn't see that kind of assumption at the AV Club (perhaps the 18 staff writers at the AV Club are who they were referring to).
    Winter is Coming.

I neeed moreee alcohodlll