Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Thread: Katawa Shoujo

Katawa Shoujo

Something that might come as a surprise to those who know that I complain about the overt importance romance gets in many modern comics, is that I actually like to play what is commonly known as love sims from time to time. I got a bit of a soft spot in my heart for them, as I see them as kind of the closest type of videogame that has roleplay without any fighting.

For those who don't have any idea, love sims (TM Japan, I guess) are games where you are trying to get the girl/the boy, out of a number of potential significant others. Sometimes it's a bird, though.... It's pretty straightforward and shows a great number of variations (a good hint to that is that they're sometimes also called "visual novels", so they are as diverse as books, really).

But to come to the core: I have started playing Katawa Shoujo (http://katawa-shoujo.com/), which actually is an amateur project, though I'd say you can barely tell. It's a nicely crafted story with good atmosphere, and, quite impressively, the first love sim I have encoutnered that is about disabled protagonists. And while no game could ever endeavour to include all types of disabilities that exist, it does a good job at showing disabled people as, you know, actual people.

So yeah, I just wanted to bring this out here, making people aware that this genre/game exists. I don't normally recommend stuff, but this you should try if any of the above even slightly interests you.

...and if you want to try the bird one, be aware that I have heard about people having their minds broken by it.

Re: Katawa Shoujo

G_d Bless you!
    "do what bert says" - Flamestar (c/o Ouzo Man)

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

A friend of mine into this stuff likes to clarify that there are visual novels and games that aren't strictly dating sims. (Though the ones you describe are straight up sim games.) There are also ones like murder mystery Higurashi which are more choose your own adventure visual novels . You know.. as if somehow that makes many of these less creepy if they're not strictly dating games.

I'd heard of the disability girls one as it was being developed (outside of Japan by nerds in America and around the globe I hear) and he had told me he played it when it finally got released.

I have to ask him about this bird one. HA!

I only really know of Tsukihime and Fate Stay Night from Type Moon. Mainly from the spin off manga and anime. Well, and the Melty Blood fighting game. Yes. They made a fighting game based on a dating sim. Though the sim did have vampires and supernatural crap going on.

Though I keep meaning to check out the visual novel Saya no Uta as it's got a really neat horror concept. There is an American comic adaptation from IDW, though my friend said it is considered to be terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    A friend of mine into this stuff likes to clarify that there are visual novels and games that aren't strictly dating sims. (Though the ones you describe are straight up sim games.) There are also ones like murder mystery Higurashi which are more choose your own adventure visual novels . You know.. as if somehow that makes many of these less creepy if they're not strictly dating games.

I'd heard of the disability girls one as it was being developed (outside of Japan by nerds in America and around the globe I hear) and he had told me he played it when it finally got released.

I have to ask him about this bird one. HA!

I only really know of Tsukihime and Fate Stay Night from Type Moon. Mainly from the spin off manga and anime. Well, and the Melty Blood fighting game. Yes. They made a fighting game based on a dating sim. Though the sim did have vampires and supernatural crap going on.

Though I keep meaning to check out the visual novel Saya no Uta as it's got a really neat horror concept. There is an American comic adaptation from IDW, though my friend said it is considered to be terrible.
    Oh, there's totally a wider range. It's just that the dating sims are kind of the biggest dog in regards to numbers. Which...might in part be because I believe the ones with adult content are counted into that as well. Which isn't necessarily bad, mind you. I once played one that was considered pretty good even by people that aren't exactly fans of the whole hentai business. It's called Crescendo, and while there is explicit content, it's part of a naturally progressing story and the game is pretty awesome. Until you unlock the bonus girl. Which is when your heart breaks.

I'll give a try later when I have some spare time, thanks for sharing!

For those interested: While you can switch off the sex parts of the game, I think it's a natural part of a relationship. That's why I was quite pleased to see the first realistic treatment of anal sex I have ever encoutnered in fiction. Meaning, in the end both the boy and the girl weren't so impressed :3