Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Argh! STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!!! (Nerdrage)

Having just read through a friend's copies of Justice League and Aquaman since the relaunch, Geoff Johns is doing a couple of repeated 'gags' in those books that I find infuriating. In Justice League, it's the repeated refrain of people referring to the League as "Friends.... SUPER Friends!", and in Aquaman it's people referring to Mera as "Aquawoman" - something he's been doing since at least Brightest Day, actually.

The former annoys me as it strikes me as a pointless nostalgia call-out or name check of that awful 70s/80s cartoon (no offense, I know people who grew up with it tend to love it but objectively, it's terrible) and the latter because it sounds like he's trying to make 'Aquawoman' stick as a name. It's a ridiculous superhero name. Say it. Go on. AK-WA-WU-MAN. That repeated W sound in the middle just doesn't work. Hate it. Mera is just better. Yet Johns seems to persist in doing both these irksome things regularly in both titles, and I wish he'd just STOP IT!

So, the point of this thread is: what repeated tics or moments have you spotted a creator/s doing that you wish they'd just quit?
    Last edited by Impulse; 04-21-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Re: Argh! STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!!! (Nerdrage)

I wish Bendis would just kill off Noh-Varr, already. Though, he probably will during AVX. The only similarity between the bendis version and the original Morrison version is that they both have the same name.
    "At the end of the day, it's just comic books." - Keith Giffen

There have been a lot of comments in the new 52 that seem to be aimed at fans who are unhappy. JLI had a few, but things like WW's sword argument comment in the most recent JL also stand out. We get it, you're making money and don't care what we think. Do you really need to rub it in?
    Current Favorite DC Book: Calendar of Small Events
    Current Favorite Marvel Book: Hawkeye

Quote Originally Posted by Hugin View Post
    There have been a lot of comments in the new 52 that seem to be aimed at fans who are unhappy. JLI had a few, but things like WW's sword argument comment in the most recent JL also stand out. We get it, you're making money and don't care what we think. Do you really need to rub it in?
    What's wrong with Wonder Woman using a sword?
    "At the end of the day, it's just comic books." - Keith Giffen

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Slewo.O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugin
    I thought the sword comment was funny, I don't know why it'd be pointed as malicious so much as poking fun. As for the JLI thing... Yeah that was just odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by John M. Coker (Johnny C.) View Post
    Slewo's right.

Oh god, I just typed the words "Slewo's right."

TWICE!

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Slewo.O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse
    Having just read through a friend's copies of Justice League and Aquaman since the relaunch, Geoff Johns is doing a couple of repeated 'gags' in those books that I find infuriated. In Justice League, it's the repeated refrain of people referring to the League as "Friends.... SUPER Friends!", and in Aquaman it's people referring to Mera as "Aquawoman" - something he's been doing since at least Brightest Day, actually.

The former annoys me as it's strikes me as a pointless nostalgia call out or name check of that awful 70s/80s cartoon (no offense, I know people who grew up with it love it but objectively, it's terrible) and the latter because it sounds like he's trying to make 'Aquawoman' stick as a name. It's a ridiculous superhero name. Say it. Go on. AK-WA-WU-MAN. That repeated W sound in the middle just doesn't work. Hate it. Mera is just better. Yet Johns seems to persist in doing both these irksome things regularly in both titles, and I wish he'd just STOP IT!

So, the point of this thread is: what repeated tics or moments have you spotted a creator/s doing that you wish they'd just quit?
    I'm pretty sure he's trying to show why it'd be awful to call her that. Why else would he show it in a derisive light every time he makes the gag?

(Also the gag has been going on since Blackest Night. )
    Quote Originally Posted by John M. Coker (Johnny C.) View Post
    Slewo's right.

Oh god, I just typed the words "Slewo's right."

TWICE!

he should just rip off from Blood Syndicate, and call here "Aqua-Mar-Mera"
    "do what bert says" - Flamestar (c/o Ouzo Man)

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

Over the past few years the protaginists are dying at the end their anime series. It was cool way back in the early 2000s with
    Spoilers:
    Gungrave
    Spoilers:
    Big O
    and
    Spoilers:
    X
    but after watching
    Spoilers:
    Requiem for the Phantom
    Spoilers:
    Darker Than Black
    and
    Spoilers:
    Code Geass
    enough is enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugin View Post
    I heard people saying that was a poke at fans a couple days ago, but I don't see it. I read it as an expression of an ongoing difference of opinion between Wonder Woman and Superman, not between Wonder Woman and the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester C. View Post
    enough is enough already.
    It's always been a trope of anime. I think Space Battleship Yamato killed off the entire crew and destroyed the ship at least 3 times.
    Life's an elevator. It goes up and down.