Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DISCUSS: Marvel & DC - why they cancel successful animated franchises for new reboots

Re: DISCUSS: Marvel & DC - why they cancel successful animated franchises for new reb

There is still an issue of syndication and video rights. If a show isn't valuable in the secondary markets, there's no longer any reason to keep going financially. Also, as is still very common, when an administration changes, they want to have stuff that has their brand on it.

Re: DISCUSS: Marvel & DC - why they cancel successful animated franchises for new reb

The other major thing is that most of DC's shows are done in-house, even if they have different showrunners and stuff. Comparatively, Marvel's stuff was up until recently done by other parties and a lot of the time that lead to issues. Spectacular Spider-Man ended up getting screwed over due to some licensing stuff since it was done by Sony, and I think the most recent X-Men show (before the anime) also had some issues with the studio not have enough funding or something.

I have only enjoyed Loeb's work with Tim Sale, but the man always comes across as personable to a fault. Whatever you may think of his work the man isn’t a meathead.

As for rebooting cartoons I think it's as simple as one wave of kids growing up and moving on to be replaced by another wave of kids wanting new stuff. Spider-man and X-men have both been on the air since I was a kid and I have no doubt in another twenty years those characters will still be on the airwave.

Long story short is the fact that a lot of the time it's just easier and more cost effective to make something new than to continue an already existing production.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester C. View Post
    I have only enjoyed Loeb's work with Tim Sale, but the man always comes across as personable to a fault. Whatever you may think of his work the man isn’t a meathead.
    I'm not sure what 'meathead' means here. I think he's a hack, and it's easy to see him trot out the same sparkly tricks to disguise dull writing in whatever he does. I think it's laughable that his biggest claim to fame revolves around wheeling out a previously unmentioned childhood friend of Batman, who *gasp* turns out to be the villain. It's so hackneyed, and yet it's a 'classic'.

Anyway, so I'm happy to blame him for Avengers getting canceled, Avengers season 2 getting that dreadful spiel over the opening titles when it managed fine without for the whole of season 1, for Ultimate Spidey being unwatchable to anyone over the age of 10 after DC have had a string of cartoons that work for adults and kids, and (on a bad day) for the general depressingnes of the universe. I don't know him as a person, so he may be lovely, but I see nothing good or original in his work.
    Life's an elevator. It goes up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen El View Post
    I'm not sure what 'meathead' means here. I think he's a hack, and it's easy to see him trot out the same sparkly tricks to disguise dull writing in whatever he does. I think it's laughable that his biggest claim to fame revolves around wheeling out a previously unmentioned childhood friend of Batman, who *gasp* turns out to be the villain. It's so hackneyed, and yet it's a 'classic'.

Anyway, so I'm happy to blame him for Avengers getting canceled, Avengers season 2 getting that dreadful spiel over the opening titles when it managed fine without for the whole of season 1, for Ultimate Spidey being unwatchable to anyone over the age of 10 after DC have had a string of cartoons that work for adults and kids, and (on a bad day) for the general depressingnes of the universe. I don't know him as a person, so he may be lovely, but I see nothing good or original in his work.
    I also loved the rumored justification--that's its too serialized. Lets translate people: that means its too intelligent.

The world building on the show is second to none, because they knew that had a huge canvas to work with--some 52 episodes promised originally (who knows if they'll all ever air). As a result, they got complicated, in a good way. Seeds planted continuously, for payoffs which might be dozens of episodes later.

But I guess that's too smart for good ol' Jeph. Now I'm sympathetic in some ways. Some of his past exploits, like Heroes, got burned for being too complicated. And this is a kid's show, the justification might go. But in my opinion, that world building, that long-term system of payoffs, gave the show a wider audience. I've seen the new Spider-Man show. I can't imagine most adults wanting to watch more than one of them, unless they're Spidey-Superfans (the only reason I'm still watching). But Earth's Mightiest Heroes was potentially marketable to adults too, in my opinion. If it wasn't on Disney XD, where nobody saw it.

I dunno. I'm bummed, I guess, because this dumbing down happened to Spider-Man, and now with almost half of the episodes unaired, there's rumors of this one being ditched. When the work that went into it seemed SO deep, and the results so much better than you'd expect.

Also keep in mind that for cartoon shows you're looking at a demographic that kind of quickly ages itself out of the market. Kids who 'come in' on one show don't always last more than a few years because then they get "too old" or "too cool" to watch cartoons.

Stuff like "Justice League" broke the mold because their demographic was older to begin with. They weren't really marketing to kid-kids they were marketing to older kids who could keep watching because the show had a more 'sophisticated' cache. It also attracted teens, college age, and adult-adults for the same reason.

But the WB also realized this and therefore kept the show going.
    A.K.A. Lailoni Prime Vesta (courtesy of Tom Stillwell)

My blog of random and often geeky things -- Compound Geekery!

Riding the rollercoaster at Six Flags over Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stillwell View Post
    Superhero cartoons are created for one reason: Sell toys.

Once there is enough episodes for syndication they feel no need to keep making new ones. Kids will watch the same shows again and again and they can sell toys.
    So, just out of curiosity, what -is- the magic number for syndication anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Shurato2099 View Post

65 If I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shurato2099 View Post
    Generally around 52 or so. At least I think. They let Brave and the bold get to 65 before they cancelled it though. Justice League also got to 52 before they rebooted it as Justice League Unlimited.