Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two simple questions for all of you

Re: Two simple questions for all of you

1. Iron Man. I had this notion when I was a kid that the best thing a person could be was an inventor. That science was the future and progress and we should strive for that. Then I grew older and discovered I haven't a scientific bone in my body. I read a lot and I talk incessantly - but I simply do not have the logic or wherewithal to think scientifically. So Iron Man remains this wish-fulfilment figure for me and I love him for it.

2. Wonder Woman. She transcends her comic book incarnation in so many ways. She's a fashion icon, a symbol and the idea of the character has left the comic - for good or ill - way behind in its tracks. One of the difficulties I think the character of Wonder Woman has vis a vis film or television adaptations is that there's this push and pull between trying to insist that she's a comic character, whereas the majority of people familiar with Diana 'know' her already without having to have ever read a comic. Insipid comic fanboy debates about how Green Lantern deserves to be a member of the Trinity a lot more than her miss the point entirely - no one outside comics really know Green Lantern. Everyone knows Wonder Woman.

My favorite - Spider-man. He was just the most relatable to me as a kid.

Culturally relevant - definitely Superman. He's on par with Mickey Mouse as an American pop icon. Even someone who has never read a comic in their lives knows Superman. Although I think Spider-man is a pretty close second. Batman too.

1. Favorite is Catwoman from the Brubaker run. Because she's self made like Batman, but I think Selina Kyle is a more interesting character than Bruce Wayne. Not as much overwrought 'Bruce is the mask Batman' wears shit. Catwoman isn't her whole life.

2. Superman. Maybe it's just the name, but I can't think of another character who's as synonymous with the term "superhero" as he is.

Banned

FAVORITE SUPER-HERO(INE): Wonder Woman, no question. She has so much vast potential to be so many different things. Whether that potential is reached or not is almost inconsequential to me. She can be the kick-ass warrior queen one minute, and the consoling friend the next; she can write about how to make a better world through compassion and wisdom, then turn around and just party out on the town. And there's so much more. She's everyone. And she looks awesome while doing it all.

MOST CULTURALLY IMPORTANT SUPER-HERO: I've got to go with Superman, here. He's the most important because, whether people like him or not, or like his stories or not, he is THE Super-Hero. I think it's pretty much that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by ZimMan2 View Post
    One: who is your favorite superhero and why?

Two: who do you think is the most culturally important superhero and why?
    1. Superman. He's about fair play, using power to help the weak. He's also a nerd with a tragic story.

2. Wolverine. Despite being Canadian, he is America. Cap is who we wish we were. Punisher is who people see us as. Wolverine is the balance. If I created an Ultimate line, Logan would be Captain America.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    1. Superman. He's about fair play, using power to help the weak. He's also a nerd with a tragic story.

2. Wolverine. Despite being Canadian, he is America. Cap is who we wish we were. Punisher is who people see us as. Wolverine is the balance. If I created an Ultimate line, Logan would be Captain America.
    And once someone explained what happened to Rush Limbaugh, he'd be calling for your head on a pike, and saying that you are trying to destroy America, along with Vann Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison_Lad View Post
    And once someone explained what happened to Rush Limbaugh, he'd be calling for your head on a pike, and saying that you are trying to destroy America, along with Vann Jones.
    And I'd retort that America is the best there is at what we do.

Gunsel

1) Either Batman or the Thing, given the day.

2) Spider-Man

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    And I'd retort that America is the best there is at what we do.
    Heh.

1. My favorite superhero would probably be Batman. Like was stated above, his concept is ridiculously simple yet so rich. Additionally, if you look at his history, he has proven highly adaptable as a character through the various eras of his existence and somehow there's a balance to all of it.

2. Culturally relevant would be Superman. He is universally recognizable, is the hero who started it all, and just has tremendous appeal, even today. I would say that Batman and Wonder Woman are only slightly behind Superman in significance, though.