Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Possible News For Wally West Fans?

Re: Possible News For Wally West Fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Corrina View Post
    It's really weird how DC decided that characters millions of people have watched and care about were ditched for comic versions that are much less well-known.

DC talked synergy and getting the most iconic versions of their characters out there but.....

So Barbara Gordon is Batgirl. Okay, I can see that. General public sees Babs as Batgirl.

Which means Wally West is The Flash and John Stewart is Green Lantern.

Wait......

*Side note--my twins (12) won't eve watch the new GL show because they hate Hal. "He's a snot. We want John Stewart. He was awesome." Or, at least, a show starring Kilowag.
    My 7 year old thinks of Hal as the "other" Green Lantern.

I agree with the whole iconic deal. Wally and John are probably the two most well known versions of their characters to a lot of people because of JL/JLU exposure. I could see if the Green Lantern film had been a runaway success, sticking with Hal as the primary, but it hardly was.

And I agree that if they wanted the iconic Batgirl, then it had to be Babs, but the iconic Babs for me is still Oracle.

I'm also still of the opinion that the costume redesigns flew in the face, by and large, of the whole iconic deal. Superman's costume is ugly, plain and simple. I like his early version in Action Comics, but it fits the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    My 7 year old thinks of Hal as the "other" Green Lantern.

I agree with the whole iconic deal. Wally and John are probably the two most well known versions of their characters to a lot of people because of JL/JLU exposure. I could see if the Green Lantern film had been a runaway success, sticking with Hal as the primary, but it hardly was.

And I agree that if they wanted the iconic Batgirl, then it had to be Babs, but the iconic Babs for me is still Oracle.

I'm also still of the opinion that the costume redesigns flew in the face, by and large, of the whole iconic deal. Superman's costume is ugly, plain and simple. I like his early version in Action Comics, but it fits the story.
    See, and I think to a degree that's a largely self fulfilling prophecy. As long as they never really attempt to give any of the others legitimate pushes, it's going to stay that way. Babs as Oracle was in what, that short-lived BOP show and the Arkham games, but that's crushed by the sheer number of TV shows and games she's been in as Batgirl.

I agree their choices for how they pick which version of which character they used made no sense, specifically if you contrast Batgirl with Robin. Outside of current comic readers, who the heck knows who Damian is, opposed to Dick and Tim, who have both been on long running tv shows.

Their treatment of Wally has been ridiculous, and it started as soon as they brought Barry back. You know, from the death Didio said was "too important to ever undo." Except that he did.

And their "iconic" argument falls apart when you look at the costume redesigns. Show the man on the street "classic" Superman vs NU Superman, and about every one will pick the classic version. And seriously, what have they done to the Earth 2 characters?

I would have more respect for them if they'd come out and say "We're not going to use these characters" instead of all these cryptic bullshit comments about Wally, Donna, Steph, Cass, etc.

And their claim they have all this planned out is amazingly foolish when you have writers and editors contradicting each other about what's still canon. Especially about the much abused Teen Titans and their history. If there is a "timeline" for all this, apparently it's kept secret from their own staff.
    My first novel is up Amazon Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/In-My-Brothers...8184334&sr=1-1

And now in paperback, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsmythe View Post
    I would have more respect for them if they'd come out and say "We're not going to use these characters" instead of all these cryptic bullshit comments about Wally, Donna, Steph, Cass, etc.

And their claim they have all this planned out is amazingly foolish when you have writers and editors contradicting each other about what's still canon. Especially about the much abused Teen Titans and their history. If there is a "timeline" for all this, apparently it's kept secret from their own staff.
    These last two paragraphs sum up a lot of my problems with the DCnU. I can understand not wanting to spoil things for readers, that kind of thing bugs a lot of people, but if you currently have -no- plans to use a character just come out and say so. You can always change your mind later, goodness know it happens the other way around often enough. They probably think that they're saving face by being all cryptic about things, but when things continue to not develop it just looks stupid.

I've long had the feeling that communications inside DC are just a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Shurato2099 View Post
    These last two paragraphs sum up a lot of my problems with the DCnU. I can understand not wanting to spoil things for readers, that kind of thing bugs a lot of people, but if you currently have -no- plans to use a character just come out and say so. You can always change your mind later, goodness know it happens the other way around often enough. They probably think that they're saving face by being all cryptic about things, but when things continue to not develop it just looks stupid.

I've long had the feeling that communications inside DC are just a mess.
    To be fair, they have been pretty adamant that they have no plans for Donna and Wally since before the reboot (yes I'm aware that prior to the reboot something was promised for Wally that never happened). Steph's something of an oddity, since they talked about plans for ages before admitting there were none and that she was going to be gone for the long haul too.
    "Being agnostic is all about the realization that even though there probably is some sort of god or creator out there somewhere, the human race is and will always be too stupid to find them.” Oscar Wilde (alleged!)

"'politically incorrect' (the preferred self-congratulatory term for the enthusiastically offensive)" Fred Clarke

In quasi-related news, this just in from Titanstower.com

Brett Booth confirms that the character Omen, appearing in the next issue of TT, is the DCnU version of Lilith Clay. The "sadistic" "walking nightmare" -is- Lilith. That just irks me.

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    To be fair, they have been pretty adamant that they have no plans for Donna and Wally since before the reboot (yes I'm aware that prior to the reboot something was promised for Wally that never happened). Steph's something of an oddity, since they talked about plans for ages before admitting there were none and that she was going to be gone for the long haul too.
    Several things were planned for Wally that never happened. His role in "Rogue's Revenge," His back-up in the regular Flash title, his role in Flashpoint, and the aborted plans for the "Speedforce" book.

Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerjock View Post
    See, and I think to a degree that's a largely self fulfilling prophecy. As long as they never really attempt to give any of the others legitimate pushes, it's going to stay that way. Babs as Oracle was in what, that short-lived BOP show and the Arkham games, but that's crushed by the sheer number of TV shows and games she's been in as Batgirl.
    Something else in Babs' favor is that she has family ties to Batman -- or as much as "Family" gets with Bats.

She's Commissioner Gordon's daughter and Gordon is as iconic as Alfred.

Steph and Cass, intriguing characters in their own right with their own stories, just don't have that same pull.

Re: Wally -- I'm waiting to see what "Multiversity" brings us.

I'd like a version of Earth out there where a lot of characters are still around and active.

I want Jay Garrick back (LOVE Jay. Jack Knight said it best... "One cool old man.")
    I want bloody Star Girl or I'll even take her back to being the Star Spangled Kid if that's what it takes but I want her BACK!
    I'd like Ted Kord back... somewhere, on SOME Earth.
    And... as much as I'm enjoying JLI.... I kinda miss Booster Gold's relationship with Rip Hunter... And by the way, what the hell happened to that?!?!

I didn't pick up ALL of the "New 52" but one minute Booster is in Rip's Time Lab seemingly forgetting about the alternate timeline and the next thing... he's totally reset?! No Rip? No 'adventures in time and space'? No Michelle? No 'Carter legacy of Time Masters'?! What the HELL DC?!?!?!
    A.K.A. Lailoni Prime Vesta (courtesy of Tom Stillwell)

My blog of random and often geeky things -- Compound Geekery!

Riding the rollercoaster at Six Flags over Armageddon

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Slewo.O's Avatar
    The cruel irony is that Booster's adventures happened, but the Flashpoint effect stripped him of his memories of them. So he doesn't even know he lost his son, daughter, or sister.
    [QUOTE=John M. Coker (Johnny C.);8992400]Slewo's right.

Oh god, I just typed the words "Slewo's right."

TWICE![/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Slewo.O View Post
    The cruel irony is that Booster's adventures happened, but the Flashpoint effect stripped him of his memories of them. So he doesn't even know he lost his son, daughter, or sister.
    Well, actually, Michelle was originally killed when Booster was with the JLI under Maxwell Lord. Considering the changed time stream I'm not sure that iteration of the JL has EVER existed anymore so.... Michelle may not have been "lost". Depending on what the hell is going on Michelle may never have been brought from the future to the past and she may be there still... in which case she never originally died to be brought back.

And young Booster technically didn't know that Rip was his son... Although presumably he had to either figure it out or be told at some point in his future...

And for all we know Rip may still be tearing around the time stream somewhere. I can't imagine it's that easy to kill a Time Master...

But hell, I'm MASSIVELY confused when it comes to Booster. If I let myself start to think about it my head threatens to explode.

And where's Skeets too?! Sure, Booster's still in contact with him but WHERE IS HE?! Booster's apartment? A secret headquarters somewhere? Is he still in Rip's Time Lab? WHAT?!

And finally, I really think DC missed a great opportunity for an all-ages comic or a cartoon series...

Rip Hunter: Adventures in Time -- a series all about young Rip Hunter growing up with Booster and his mom in the time stream. Rani could have been his adopted older sister.... It would have blown Johnny Quest out of the water!!!
    A.K.A. Lailoni Prime Vesta (courtesy of Tom Stillwell)

My blog of random and often geeky things -- Compound Geekery!

Riding the rollercoaster at Six Flags over Armageddon