Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible News For Wally West Fans?

Possible News For Wally West Fans?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/...ation-spoiler/

If true it sounds a lot like that Kid Flash Lost mini.

Re: Possible News For Wally West Fans?

More grist for the bleedingcool rumor mills, I suppose. I seriously doubt that it is true.

I don't think even Wally could catch up to these dangling carrots..

Why is everyone so interested in where Wally is? It's not like he was the Flash for ~25 years or was a member of the Justice League or a major character or anything. Oh, wait...

Wally West fans are beginning to look like Ted Kord fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Why is everyone so interested in where Wally is? It's not like he was the Flash for ~25 years or was a member of the Justice League or a major character or anything. Oh, wait...
    Yeah, this is legitimately the first time I've seen DC intentionally devalue one of its characters. I've seen them try to give heroes new value as martyrs or casualties or villains, but this is the first time I've seen the company make a direct attempt to get readers to forget about a popular character.

And the "We know every character is somebody's favorite" response of Didio's implies that he holds as much value for Wally as he does for Ambush Bug. Wally West was not "every character." He was one of the Big 7, and a tentpole of the entire universe.

I don't feel that way at all. I don't think they're trying to devalue him; I think they're aware that much of his value is tied to his history -- moreso than most of DC's characters -- and that they haven't found a way to bring him into the universe with that history (relatively) intact yet. I think they feel that erasing that history (and, say, bringing him in as Kid Flash instead of Bart) would have devalued him, and they're trying to avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreg View Post
    Yeah, this is legitimately the first time I've seen DC intentionally devalue one of its characters. I've seen them try to give heroes new value as martyrs or casualties or villains, but this is the first time I've seen the company make a direct attempt to get readers to forget about a popular character.

And the "We know every character is somebody's favorite" response of Didio's implies that he holds as much value for Wally as he does for Ambush Bug. Wally West was not "every character." He was one of the Big 7, and a tentpole of the entire universe.
    He was also THE Flash for most people who aren't Geoff Johns. I understand Barry is seen as the character who started the Silver Age, but his death was perfect in that he literally saved the entire universe when he died. I can understand if they had wanted to pass the torch from Wally to someone else, like Bart, but if they were going to do so, he deserved better than just disappearing so someone's pet character could return and not be diluted.

Quote Originally Posted by RobStaeger View Post
    I don't feel that way at all. I don't think they're trying to devalue him; I think they're aware that much of his value is tied to his history -- moreso than most of DC's characters -- and that they haven't found a way to bring him into the universe with that history (relatively) intact yet. I think they feel that erasing that history (and, say, bringing him in as Kid Flash instead of Bart) would have devalued him, and they're trying to avoid that.
    Which means, barring a reversal of the reboot, timeline weirdness or some alternate Earth cropping up, we are never going to see Wally again. He and his history simply do not fit in the DCnU ... which is much the same concern I have with Donna Troy given what we've seen of WW so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Shurato2099 View Post
    Which means, barring a reversal of the reboot, timeline weirdness or some alternate Earth cropping up, we are never going to see Wally again. He and his history simply do not fit in the DCnU ... which is much the same concern I have with Donna Troy given what we've seen of WW so far.
    I think that's an important clause. Parallel worlds and alternate timelines happen all the time in comics, and I think it'll happen for Wally eventually -- and probably Donna and Connor with him. I think Wally is a problem DC is trying to solve, and those are the tools they'll use to solve it. But they need to figure out just how to do it, without undermining what they're setting up with the new 52.