Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do women think men are stupid and inferior?

Do women think men are stupid and inferior?

This question keeps bouncing around in my head.

Every time I see a series of adds on television, there is usually at least one where some women is outsmarting a guy or winning an agument or some competition. It never seems to happen the other way round. I also notice that the woman usually smiles at her victory and the guy smiles along with her. Like 'ha ha I'm so dumb and your so clever, its a wonder you are with me.'

[Yeah I know, it sounds like I have issues. I probably do]

But as a serious question, while these adds are clearly targetted at women to get them to buy things, are women actually thinking this is true? Men are dumb? Would there be feminists up in arms if women were shown that way?

And why do I have a sneaking suspicion I will be crucified in effigy for even asking? I expect I will have links hurled at me that talk about how women have had to put up with worse for longer.

Sigh.

Usually I would read Wonder Woman to make myself feel better about this king of stuff, but now the Amazons all hate men and want to kill them so it kind of makes things worse.
    The next time a goddess asks you if you want to have a shower...you say YES!!!!

Re: Do women think men are stupid and inferior?

I'm sure every woman thinks every man they know is a total idiot at least, oh, let's say once a week (I might be being generous there).

"Men are stupid and women are crazy. And women are crazy because men are stupid."

-George Carlin

(we're on Tumblr too!)

Quote Originally Posted by C.B. Nerdlinger View Post
    I'm sure every woman thinks every man they know is a total idiot at least, oh, let's say once a week (I might be being generous there).
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

And without Zac Effron's body and good looks, that leaves me with exactly nothing to recommend me...

Men win at everything. They have better pay, better jobs, their opinions are not ignored or dismissed, they are not treated as ugly or invisible if they are not dangerously thin and under thirty. These ads are a little fantasy escapism for us.

I also know several men who I have hardly ever considered to be total idiots. And at least one of them I've met more than once.
    Life's an elevator. It goes up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen El View Post
    I also know several men who I have hardly ever considered to be total idiots. And at least one of them I've met more than once.
    "Hardly ever!" Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen El View Post
    Men win at everything. They have better pay, better jobs, their opinions are not ignored or dismissed, they are not treated as ugly or invisible if they are not dangerously thin and under thirty. These ads are a little fantasy escapism for us.

Men win at everything?

I must be doing something seriously wrong. And as for the ugly or invisibly thing...maybe I am not remembering High School right.

edit: and on reflection, I'm not sure the question was answered...
    Last edited by brettc1; 04-13-2012 at 03:57 AM.

In my Imaginarium. The world between sleep and wakefulness.

Well being of the female persuasion I would have to say that it's a 50/50 deal. Some times women have their moment's of 'stupidity' or 'dumbness' - yes that may be hard to believe but it does happen. Can't say that women are 100% overtly smarter then men. We see things a tad differently then our male counter parts but I think for the most part, we are neither smarter nor dummer then the other.

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." Lucy Lawless

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Men win at everything?

I must be doing something seriously wrong. And as for the ugly or invisibly thing...maybe I am not remembering High School right.
    Depends what you are remembering. My guess is you aren't remembering the plain girls that nobody fancied.

edit: and on reflection, I'm not sure the question was answered...
    Let's see.

But as a serious question, while these adds are clearly targetted at women to get them to buy things, are women actually thinking this is true?
    Are they thinking what is true? That the actor in the commercial is stupid? That the fantasy world of the commercial reflects reality in any way? Give me a specific question and I'll give you a specific answer.

Men are dumb?
    In reality or in the scripted fantasy of the advert? Obviously in the commercial the man is dumb; he's written that way. In reality everyone has dumb moments.

Would there be feminists up in arms if women were shown that way?
    What, you mean like when women are used entirely as eye-candy, draped over a car or a man, and don't actually get to say anything at all? So they aren't even stupid because they aren't people, just things to make the person/car/whatever they are pictured with look better? Yeah, I'm a feminist and I hate that. And it's everywhere ALL THE TIME.
    Life's an elevator. It goes up and down.

I think most men feel inferior if they aren't total tools and it's a way to make a guy seem sensitive (ie. respectful) without seeming flowery (book learnin' is for queer folk).

There are several factors there.

I think men are more conditioned to be drawn towards appearance whereas women are conditioned, pure generalities here, to feel like they're shallow if they do.

I also have to say that probably 90% of the super-attractive women I've known go for very average looking dudes. I used to be self-conscious about exercise or hair thickness until I started noticing beautiful women I'd been anxious to approach marrying heavier men than me with less hair and weird features.

I always thought it was a sitcom trope.

And it is. But it's also true. A guy who's funny or got a few good personality traits can land a 10 for a wife. But the double standard is, I've rarely seen the reverse unless the guy was in the closet.

Aside from surface gender inequality, I think a big difference comes down to self-esteem.

Pretty people like confident people. People like confident people.

Guys who are 50-100 pounds overweight and have odd features are more confident than women who are 50-100 pounds overweight and have odd features are.

Confidence and a good disposition attracts people and lets you have your pick, over intelligence or looks.

So a big, dumb confident guy probably will have a smart, beautiful wife.