Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [DC/Comics in General] Can't think of good words for how I'm feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard

I really won't be happy until management is totally unashamed of anything, whether that's Adam West, Halle Berry Catwoman, Superman marrying Jimmy Olsen to a gorilla, Bloodlines, Batman and Robin, Beppo, Quisp, Vibe, Extrano, Triumph, 90s Fate, all the Doom Patrol iterations, any of it. No shame about anything ever. No self-conscious handwringing or attempts to be sleeker or more badass.

Embrace all of it. No shame about anything ever. Fly your freak flag, yo.
    I totally agree.

Banned

Re: [DC/Comics in General] Can't think of good words for how I'm feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsmythe View Post
    I don't have a top ten left, as I'm pretty sure I don't still get 10 DC books. The reboot is saving me money at least.
    Heh. I'm the exact opposite. I'm going broke with the new books. I've dropped a few as time as went on, but I still am spending too much money on these damned comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison_Lad View Post
    Heh. I'm the exact opposite. I'm going broke with the new books. I've dropped a few as time as went on, but I still am spending too much money on these damned comics.
    And if DC is dominating the sales as it seems to be, I'm clearly in the minority. I'm glad for the fans of the new, but it would be nice to have some consideration for the fans of the old.
    My first novel is up Amazon Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/In-My-Brothers...8184334&sr=1-1

And now in paperback, too!

Banned

And if DC is dominating the sales as it seems to be, I'm clearly in the minority. I'm glad for the fans of the new, but it would be nice to have some consideration for the fans of the old.
    I started reading comics in about 2004. So, I am hardly an "old fan." But I've been here for most of the DiDio era. And was there total crap (Amazons Attack, anyone?) thrown out there? Sure. Was there amazing stuff (All Star Superman) created and loved by fans? Yep. I have no idea how people who have been reading comics since like the 60s feel. But I can't see a better era for DC, in this last decade, than right now.

Granted, it's just my opinion. But when you look at stuff like JLDark/I, Vampire from this last week, that's KICK-ASS stuff. How good is All Star Western or Batman or Batwoman or Supergirl or Action or Demon Knights or a number of other books?

I mean, I guess I don't get it. I see why people hate Azzarello's direction on WW, even though I love it. But I can't understand how someone can't just be loving Animal Man or Swamp Thing or I, Vampire.

Again, I guess it's just me.

Well, I speak solely for me, ML. But since you asked:

I really didn't like what I heard about the DCNU, and the changes they made. So, yes, I set the bar high. I said, "You have one issue to impress me, or I drop it." I got all the number ones. None of the ones you mention made teh cut for me.

I like superhero comics. For me, among other things, this means costumes, powers, secret IDs, the whole bit.

Animal Man: no secret ID, Maxine becomes creepy kid (over done bit by this point), and the blood flowing from Buddy's eyes just got me to the not interested point pretty quickly.

Swamp Thing: no costume, no secret ID, and a confusing start. "I was never Swamp Thing," which the rest of the issue seems to contradict. It just didn't grab me.

I, Vampire: the whole thing was cliche central. There's this good vampire, who just wants to be left alone, but there are these bad vampires who want to kill everyone, and one of them is the hero's ex lover. Seen it before, lots of places. I'm picky about my vampires these days because I've read some great stuff. The Dresden Files, In the Blood by PN Elrod, the Sookie Stackhouse books are all, IMHO, great stories with really well done vamps in them.

None of those books, nor most of the DCNU, seemed worth the money to me, and I wasn't wild about rewarding them with my cash for a lot of changes I don't like.

I'm glad folks are enjoying, it's great for them and DC both.

I just am not one of them.

And I've been reading comics pretty steady since the early 80s.
    My first novel is up Amazon Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/In-My-Brothers...8184334&sr=1-1

And now in paperback, too!

Banned

Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison_Lad View Post
    I started reading comics in about 2004. So, I am hardly an "old fan." But I've been here for most of the DiDio era. And was there total crap (Amazons Attack, anyone?) thrown out there? Sure. Was there amazing stuff (All Star Superman) created and loved by fans? Yep. I have no idea how people who have been reading comics since like the 60s feel. But I can't see a better era for DC, in this last decade, than right now.

Granted, it's just my opinion. But when you look at stuff like JLDark/I, Vampire from this last week, that's KICK-ASS stuff. How good is All Star Western or Batman or Batwoman or Supergirl or Action or Demon Knights or a number of other books?

I mean, I guess I don't get it. I see why people hate Azzarello's direction on WW, even though I love it. But I can't understand how someone can't just be loving Animal Man or Swamp Thing or I, Vampire.

Again, I guess it's just me.
    Hey, I'm an old fan-- been reading comics for thirty + years now-- and I mostly agree with you. There's always good books, there's always mediocre books, and there's always crap books. I think the overall strength of the industry as far as quality of stories is higher now than it's ever been-- even more than the '80s heyday of First, Eclipse, Comico, etc-- and a good fifteen of the DCnU scratch that itch for me. The thing is, I've been reading comics for so long that the average title isn't going to do it for me anymore, which is why I follow creators more than characters. There's a post-Crisis feeling that I get-- that things aren't so beholden to stale continuity and they can move in a different direction. Are all those directions great or even good? No, but either were most of the comics that we were getting before the relaunch. But the good ones are good, and there's a lot more now than there was eight months ago.

I, Vampire: the whole thing was cliche central. There's this good vampire, who just wants to be left alone, but there are these bad vampires who want to kill everyone, and one of them is the hero's ex lover. Seen it before, lots of places. I'm picky about my vampires these days because I've read some great stuff. The Dresden Files, In the Blood by PN Elrod, the Sookie Stackhouse books are all, IMHO, great stories with really well done vamps in them.
    Have to say, I agree with you on this one at least.

I'm not a Sookie Stackhouse fan though. I think the show immeasurably improved the books.

I don't have a top 10 print comics atm. I think I'm only buying 10 DC total, after my issue 6 cullings.
    Current Favorite DC Book: Calendar of Small Events
    Current Favorite Marvel Book: Hawkeye

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Hey, I'm an old fan-- been reading comics for thirty + years now-- and I mostly agree with you. There's always good books, there's always mediocre books, and there's always crap books. I think the overall strength of the industry as far as quality of stories is higher now than it's ever been-- even more than the '80s heyday of First, Eclipse, Comico, etc-- and a good fifteen of the DCnU scratch that itch for me. The thing is, I've been reading comics for so long that the average title isn't going to do it for me anymore, which is why I follow creators more than characters. There's a post-Crisis feeling that I get-- that things aren't so beholden to stale continuity and they can move in a different direction. Are all those directions great or even good? No, but either were most of the comics that we were getting before the relaunch. But the good ones are good, and there's a lot more now than there was eight months ago.
    I can't say I disagree with any of this. The thing for me is that, like you say, the good ones are good. We might all disagree on which ones are good and which ones are bad, fine. But as far as I'm concerned, DC is better than it's ever been.

And just let me say that I don't read Marvel not because I hate Marvel. I don't read Marvel because I cannot afford to invest myself in another universe. I just can't. I have always seen myself as a fan of the DCU, not necessarily of individual comics. If I bought DC AND Marvel, well, I wouldn't have beer money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias M View Post
    Have to say, I agree with you on this one at least.

I'm not a Sookie Stackhouse fan though. I think the show immeasurably improved the books.
    I've never read the books, though I hear they are entertaining.

But I love the show.