BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: What's The Craziest/Weirdest/Scariest Thing You've Experienced At A Con?

Re: What's The Craziest/Weirdest/Scariest Thing You've Experienced At A Con?

I'm sure I've posted this story before...

At Comic-Con 2007, I was standing in line for Robert Kirkman & Charlie Adlard to get autographs for my comics at the Image booth.

I like to make small talk with fellow fans to pass the time. It was a good 20 minute wait. Not too bad of a line. The Dude a head of me had a copy of Walking Dead #1. He mentioned it's his favorite series and commented how much he loves Robert and Tony Moore's work. I said, "Oh, well I bet Tony will be signing stuff soon as well."

Dude: What do you mean?
    Me: Um... Tony isn't signing stuff right now.
    Dude: Who's that guy sitting next to Robert?
    Me: Charlie Adlard.
    Dude: Who's that?
    Me: Um... he’s the artist of The Walking Dead.
    Dude: WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN???
    Me: Issue 7.
    Dude: Are you sure?
    Me: Yeah. (At this point, I show him #6 and #7, pointing out the change in artists. It blew his mind. I’m not sure how he didn’t notice it because Tony and Charlie’s artwork have obvious differences.)
    Dude: Where's Tony then?
    Me: I’m not sure.
    Dude: Who's this guy again?
    Dude: He draws The Walking Dead?
    Me: Yeah. (I just said that.)
    Dude: And he's been drawing The Walking Dead all these years?
    Me: Yeah.
    Dude: Where’s Tony?
    Me: Uh... I don’t know. Maybe the Dark Horse booth? (referencing Fear Agent)
    Dude: Who’s that guy next to Kirkman?
    Dude: When’s Tony signing?
    Me: I really don’t know.
    Dude: Oh... what's that guy’s name again?
    Dude: And he draws The Walking Dead?
    Me: (Sigh) Yes.

This went on for THE ENTIRE TIME WE WERE IN LINE, absolute purgatory. It was a nerd Abbott & Costello bit from Hell. The Dude had to be on something because he seriously could not remember Charlie's name whenever I said it.

He got his book signed and left. I finally had my turn to get my books signed. Robert recognized me from a previous signing and chatted about fun stuff. It was my first time meeting Charlie and he drew me a beautiful zombie sketch.

Just as I’m about to complement Charlie on this amazing piece, The Dude barges in on the conversation and tells him, “I don’t know who you are but tomorrow I’m going to get a sketch from you and work you like a motherfucker” and walks away.

Robert and Charlie looked at him with a “What the hell just happened?”

Great meeting the creators of one of my favorite comics but had to go through Hell first. Well worth it though.

Kedd's Dummy Account capntightpants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Convoy View Post
    I'm sure I've posted this story before...

At Comic-Con 2007, I was standing in line for Robert Kirkman & Charlie Adlard to get autographs for my comics at the Image booth.

I like to make small talk with fellow fans to pass the time. It was a good 20 minute wait. Not too bad of a line. The Dude a head of me had a copy of Walking Dead #1. He mentioned it's his favorite series and commented how much he loves Robert and Tony Moore's work. I said, "Oh, well I bet Tony will be signing stuff soon as well."

Dude: What do you mean?
    Me: Um... Tony isn't signing stuff right now.
    Dude: Who's that guy sitting next to Robert?
    Dude: Who's that?
    Me: Um... he’s the artist of The Walking Dead.
    Dude: WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN???
    Me: Issue 7.
    Dude: Are you sure?
    Me: Yeah. (At this point, I show him #6 and #7, pointing out the change in artists. It blew his mind. I’m not sure how he didn’t notice it because Tony and Charlie’s artwork have obvious differences.)
    Dude: Where's Tony then?
    Me: I’m not sure.
    Dude: Who's this guy again?
    Dude: He draws The Walking Dead?
    Me: Yeah. (I just said that.)
    Dude: And he's been drawing The Walking Dead all these years?
    Me: Yeah.
    Dude: Where’s Tony?
    Me: Uh... I don’t know. Maybe the Dark Horse booth? (referencing Fear Agent)
    Dude: Who’s that guy next to Kirkman?
    Dude: When’s Tony signing?
    Me: I really don’t know.
    Dude: Oh... what's that guy’s name again?
    Dude: And he draws The Walking Dead?
    Me: (Sigh) Yes.

This went on for THE ENTIRE TIME WE WERE IN LINE, absolute purgatory. It was a nerd Abbott & Costello bit from Hell. The Dude had to be on something because he seriously could not remember Charlie's name whenever I said it.

He got his book signed and left. I finally had my turn to get my books signed. Robert recognized me from a previous signing and chatted about fun stuff. It was my first time meeting Charlie and he drew me a beautiful zombie sketch.

Just as I’m about to complement Charlie on this amazing piece, The Dude barges in on the conversation and tells him, “I don’t know who you are but tomorrow I’m going to get a sketch from you and work you like a motherfucker” and walks away.

Robert and Charlie looked at him with a “What the hell just happened?”

Great meeting the creators of one of my favorite comics but had to go through Hell first. Well worth it though.
    Man, guys like that are what makes it hard to prove to people we are just normal dudes like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by capntightpants View Post
    Man, guys like that are what makes it hard to prove to people we are just normal dudes like everyone else.
    Dude, your problem is that you keep on walking up to pros with your pants down around your ankles. That tends to scare people off

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCummings View Post
    Dude, your problem is that you keep on walking up to pros with your pants down around your ankles. That tends to scare people off
    How the hell do you expect them to draw on my dick for the tattooing later on?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Tindall
    A bunch of us were helping tear down the Another Dimension booth at the end of the Calgary Expo in 2010. Fine and dandy, putting stuff in boxes, when I notice a life-sized robot R2-D2 out of the corner of my eye. It'd been running around all weekend and I generally ignored it, but at this point it was moving way too fast. Something was up with its controls; the little robot bolted towards a woman and pushed her right into a booth. The piping and black curtains came plummeting down, and the woman tried to hold R2 back as he pushed her into another booth behind that one. With the most serious expression I've ever seen, she shrieked, "R2, NOOO!" and then went crashing backwards.
    Holy shit I laughed for a solid minute at this. I love how in her moment of horror she viewed the little robot as a real thing that she could reason with
    http://twitter.com/johnhervatski

Quote Originally Posted by Alex(sadly)Maleev View Post
    I'll hit on anything with a hole and a leg. You usually disagree with me? Really?

Ginger McFailballs, Private Eye Magnum V.I.'s Avatar

I once stood in this line next to a guy waiting to get my copy of Walking Dead signed by Roger Kirkman and Tony Moore.

Dude had to be a dick because I kept asking who the guy next to Kirkman was and he said it was some dude named Charlie Adlard? I mean, the fuck?

I also told that Charlie guy I would work him over like a Mother Fucker until I found out what he did with Tony Moore.

People these days....
    The of the KTT Illuminati.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedd View Post
    My blurb: "No one knows how difficult it is to be a black man seeking justice in a white man's world. No one but Magnum V.I. that is."

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum V.I. View Post
    I once stood in this line next to a guy waiting to get my copy of Walking Dead signed by Roger Kirkman and Tony Moore.

Dude had to be a dick because I kept asking who the guy next to Kirkman was and he said it was some dude named Charlie Adlard? I mean, the fuck?

I also told that Charlie guy I would work him over like a Mother Fucker until I found out what he did with Tony Moore.

People these days....

Once, at a Chicago Con I very politely tried to talk to Chuck Austen about his run on X-Men and where I felt it went astray.

Years later I heard Chuck Austen and John Siuntres describing me as they talked about Chuck's convention nightmares. Out of all of the horrible things he must have seen... I was the one that stuck in his mind! And I was trying to be nice!

Rapid City on Facebook. and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by batmanbooyah View Post
    Holy shit I laughed for a solid minute at this. I love how in her moment of horror she viewed the little robot as a real thing that she could reason with
    None of us helped her, we were too busy laughing our heads off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Tindall View Post
    None of us helped her, we were too busy laughing our heads off.
    She thought it was funny later, though, right?