BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "it is nearly impossible to pitch SOLICTED, much less, unsolicited stories" - my caps

Question "it is nearly impossible to pitch SOLICTED, much less, unsolicited stories" - my caps

Full article here: http://welcometotripcity.com/2012/03/make-mine-me/

Excerpt:

Last year, a franchise editor agreed to read a mini-series pitch featuring A-list characters by me [an occasional franchise artist], along with another sanctioned/popular franchise artist, and a sanctioned/popular franchise writer. The three of us batted this pitch back and forth numerous times and once it was ready we sent it off and…never heard back from the editor again. The twisted part? The editor is the sanctioned artist and sanctioned writer’s regular editor! Still, we never heard one word about our pitch. Not even, “I’ll get back to you once I’ve read it.”

Last year, a different franchise editor was interested in my high-profile franchise concept and I secured a legendary comic book writer to adapt my plot and script it. Everyone seemed excited. The legendary writer has worked for the franchise editor and I had my own accolades to recommend me. Finally, my shot to draw my definitive high-profile franchise character tale. We pitched and…never heard back.

I have a deluge of sad short stories and a bunch of outstanding pitches sitting atop [or buried underneath] comic book editorial desks that will continue to prove that it is nearly impossible to pitch solicited, much less, unsolicited stories. The hurtful part? Editors woo me into thinking I have a chance. I don’t have a chance.
    Click on AM/UK Banner for Rock n' Comix:

Re: "it is nearly impossible to pitch SOLICTED, much less, unsolicited stories" - my

Why I am trying to break into this industry, again? Anybody?
    I color comics sometimes: MichaelCGarland.com

Re: "it is nearly impossible to pitch SOLICTED, much less, unsolicited stories" - my

Quote Originally Posted by killingyouguy View Post
    Bitches and money.

The Effing President TheTravis!'s Avatar

Read the relevant part of the article:
    Bottom line: make YOUR comix and if they’re good and sell, franchise comic book editors will come a-knockin’ and you can play with their toys then. My sole advice to my writer pal’s unsolicited franchise pitch? Abandon the established character and make it wholly yours. Find an artist [co-creator] that is willing to draw the entire series on spec for free [with proposed royalties], and publish it digitally. Unless you hit a jackpot, secure a benefactor who is willing to lose money upfront, or try to crowd fund it, that’s the only way to prove your salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    the travis is a sweety.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravis! View Post
    Read the relevant part of the article:]
    Ding ding!

Breaking into the industry need not be a goal anymore. Get a job, get a partner, and make shit, then show it to people, then make something else, then show it to people, then then then.

Heart of Hell, sometimes called Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravis! View Post
    Read the relevant part of the article:
    Bottom line: make YOUR comix and if they’re good and sell, franchise comic book editors will come a-knockin’ and you can play with their toys then. My sole advice to my writer pal’s unsolicited franchise pitch? Abandon the established character and make it wholly yours. Find an artist [co-creator] that is willing to draw the entire series on spec for free [with proposed royalties], and publish it digitally. Unless you hit a jackpot, secure a benefactor who is willing to lose money upfront, or try to crowd fund it, that’s the only way to prove your salt.
    Yeah, I was gonna say: The second half of that piece is the point.
    I'd love to write a franchise character, but the fact is, that can't be your sole goal. And you can't sit around waiting for approval to make stuff-- in fact, that's the great part about making your own stuff: You need no approval.

After our time on Zuda ended, I pitched Spy6teen around to a few publishers-- I got a number of no-responses (and a few "looks great, but not for us...")-- Still, this was a story I really wanted to do, so we just did it ourselves.

We're up to our 4th issue now-- That's four more issues than we'd have if I left it up to a publisher or submission editor.

Heart of Hell, sometimes called Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by Jef UK View Post
    Ding ding!

Breaking into the industry need not be a goal anymore. Get a job, get a partner, and make shit, then show it to people, then make something else, then show it to people, then then then.
    Preach it!

Why didn't he follow up with the editor?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Why didn't he follow up with the editor?
    The guys who worked for the editor should have fo sho!

Quote Originally Posted by Jef UK View Post
    Ding ding!

Or do it all yourself like me! I need a colorist! God I'm tired!
    Read 4+ Issues of Eternal Knights™ FREE! | Follow: @tibbittz | Blog! | "Like" it on Facebook | Patreon Rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jay View Post
    My crotch bleeds.