Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344 LastLast

Thread: Wonder Woman #7 Spoilers...WOW!

Re: Wonder Woman #7 Spoilers...WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Something I wonder about and I truly hope I do not offend anyone...... BUT, why is it when we see radical lesbians, they HATE men and want to mutilate and kill them. Yet I have yet to read a book where homosexual men are shown as hating women and wanting to kill them.

How well would a book go over if for the sake of keeping their homosexual men only island stocked, the buff and handsome men were shown as seducing the women, getting them pregnant, keeping them around until the baby is born, then killing the women and giving away the girl babies for weapons?
    Because mostly men write the killer lesbian stories and they feel threatened or hostile to women.

I'd guess that mostly gay men or women write the gay men stories and they're not threatened at all by the gayness. Lois Bujold's Ethan of Athos (about someone from an all-male planet) comes to mind.
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

Well, it's a guess that there will be exculpating evidence. What's not a guess is that the pictures are presented in the context of one person telling a story to another person, and not as objective reality (such as, say, a flashback). Which makes everything depicted in that section subjective, whether it turns out to be the truth or not.

Has Azzarello or DC addressed the complaints anywhere, or even commented on the story? Just a "That's an ongoing story, and it would be a real disappointment if people judged before the entire narrative is revealed" would at least imply that there's a further explanation coming. If not, then are people just supposed to ignore it? Wait a minimum of 3 months for an explanation that might never come before complaining?
    Current Favorite DC Book: Calendar of Small Events
    Current Favorite Marvel Book: Hawkeye

Azzarello is notoriously closed-mouthed about his stories. His twitter feed had this before the issue hit:

Tomorrow WW 7 hits the stands. Jaws will hit the floor, and something else will hit the fan.
    And there was this exchange between him and Steve Niles soon after the issue hit:

AZZ: Crazy, all the opinions on Wonder Woman 7. Especially from those who haven't read the book.

NILES: Those are my favorite comments.

AZZ: Really? It makes me feel like a misanthrope.
    And other than that, he's mostly tweeted about basketball. And his other book, Spaceman.

That is interesting. I know Azz is notoriously cryptic, but that first comment makes me wonder if the editorial made him write that part of the story, since he was apparently expecting the backlash. Hmm.

That said it's probably a good thing that he's (mostly) not pulling a Scott Lobdell and acting all indignant, at least so far.

Gunsel

So, he knew the shit would hit the fan, eh?

Yeah, I'd find it hard to believe that he wouldn't anticipate the backlash this issue would create. (It's not like he can't get a woman's perspective on Wonder Woman whenever he wants; he's married to Jill Thompson.) Whatever he's doing here, he's doing intentionally.

I admit I don't know Azz well enough to know if this is normal for him (sounds like it is) but maybe DC's finally started putting a tighter leash on their writers in wake of Starfire-gate. If so that's probably a good move from a PR standpoint, since Lobdell probably did more damage with his response to the controversy than the book on its own actually did (at least I know that was the case with me).
    Last edited by AthenAltena; 03-30-2012 at 07:35 PM.

I think what put me off about his comment is it seems he's dismissive of the critics because they haven't read the book.

Where is his response to those critics who don't like it and *have* read the book?

Because it hasn't been posted to the thread yet, and it really, really should be. Kate Beaton is a genius: