BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Retailer Boycotts Mark Waid Books Over Digital Imprint..

Re: Retailer Boycotts Mark Waid Books Over Digital Imprint..

I'm pretty sure the retailer is not 'banning' Mark Waid comics, just making them pre-order only.

Some retailers are starting to feel like a music store in the 90s. They think digital comics are going to put them out of business. Especially those that made/make a lot of money with collectible comics (higher priced back issues, variant covers, etc..). Digital does away with all of that. They don't see a viable future for themselves selling the 'dead tree' version of popular webcomics. Especially against a deep discounting Amazon, or the creator themselves via POD as their audience is more likely to buy from since they already know that they want it and it's just a matter of price and convenience. Why would they leave the house just to pay more for the book at a local comic shop?

Their goal of some retailers is to push back against all movement towards digital. An apt metaphor I've heard is yes, they are dinosaurs and like that scene in Jurassic Park where the T-Rex roars at those kids trapped in a car, they will roar at anybody (that's not a major publisher) for moving towards digital and cutting them out.
    Last edited by Jamie Coville; 03-20-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Regards,
    Jamie Coville
    CollectorTimes.com
    TheComicBooks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Spock View Post
    I don't think he deserves such a tasty treat.
    We'd be getting him some of the "previously used" stock of course (used by half the town that is).

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Slewo.O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Coville
    I'm pretty sure the retailer is not 'banning' Mark Waid comics, just making them pre-order only.

Some retailers are starting to feel like a music store in the 90s. They think digital comics are going to put them out of business. Especially those that made/make a lot of money with collectible comics (higher priced back issues, variant covers, etc..). Digital does away with all of that. They don't see a viable future for themselves selling the 'dead tree' version of popular webcomics. Especially against a deep discounting Amazon, or the creator themselves via POD as their audience is more likely to buy from since they already know that they want it and it's just a matter of price and convenience. Why would they leave the house just to pay more for the book at a local comic shop?

Their goal of some retailers is to push back against all movement towards digital. An apt metaphor I've heard is yes, they are dinosaurs and like that scene in Jurassic Park where the T-Rex roars at those kids trapped in a car, they will roar at anybody (that's not a major publisher) for moving towards digital and cutting them out.
    Would it be wrong to say most of the time, those types of retailers tend to be the Android's Dungeon types that already drive away their own customers? There are shops that still do good business, it's just a matter of not looking like a beehive and actually giving your customers incentive to come and feel comfortable.

Hell they're opening the comic equivilant of a manga cafe in Toronto, soon.
    [QUOTE=John M. Coker (Johnny C.);8992400]Slewo's right.

Oh god, I just typed the words "Slewo's right."

TWICE![/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
    Dude must be a real blast to buy from.
    I bet he laughs at customers who buy books he doesn't personally enjoy.