Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: Justice For Trayvon

Re: Justice For Trayvon

I'm wondering where they'll hold it myself, because I'm not sure there's anywhere he could get a fair trial. Everyone knows about the case, everyone has an opinion on it
    Quote Originally Posted by Shel Silverstein
    Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    My Mind's Eye

Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerjock View Post
    It'd be interesting to see the make-up of the jury. From what I can tell there's still a lot of assholes who somehow think it was the kid's fault for wearing a hoodie.
    That's not even the most important part. Rather, what will the racial makeup of the jury look like? This is a racially charged trial, so it becomes important. Theoretically, you could argue that any black person is going to want his head. So you put allw hites in? That's going to go over well. Some Latinos? There will be enough people to argue that, sicne he is one, they might give him undue leniency.

It's going to be a hell of a job finding a jury where every member looks beyond the race crap and only regards the facts.

Apparently, Zimmerman has waived a hearing that theoretically could have gotten the entire case dismissed under "Stand Your Ground", so the case will proceed to a regular jury trial in June. This doesn't mean that he won't still plead "Stand Your Ground" in the trial itself, but (To my knowledge) if he brings it up in the trial he'll have to convince the jury, as opposed to just swaying the judge.
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK405 View Post
    Apparently, Zimmerman has waived a hearing that theoretically could have gotten the entire case dismissed under "Stand Your Ground", so the case will proceed to a regular jury trial in June. This doesn't mean that he won't still plead "Stand Your Ground" in the trial itself, but (To my knowledge) if he brings it up in the trial he'll have to convince the jury, as opposed to just swaying the judge.
    This baffles me. Zimmerman has everything to gain and nothing to lose.

A theory some other lawyers have is that his lawyers weren't positive they could sway the judge and didn't want to give the prosecutors a look at their defense strategy, so they passed the hearing up with the hope of getting a better shot with the jury.

Of course, that's pure conjecture.
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK405 View Post
    A theory some other lawyers have is that his lawyers weren't positive they could sway the judge and didn't want to give the prosecutors a look at their defense strategy, so they passed the hearing up with the hope of getting a better shot with the jury.

Of course, that's pure conjecture.
    It's pure conjectures but does make sense. If he's using a weak, bullshit argument that they know won't sway a judge and just ends up giving away their entire game plan, it would be better to just gamble and go to the jury.

Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerjock View Post
    It's pure conjectures but does make sense. If he's using a weak, bullshit argument that they know won't sway a judge and just ends up giving away their entire game plan, it would be better to just gamble and go to the jury.
    Guess they hope his jury will be very, very white. And conservative.