Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice For Trayvon

Justice For Trayvon

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...tin/53655188/1

I couldn't believe there wasn't already a piece about this here, but it's absolutely horrifying. HOW THE HELL DOES A GROWN MAN CLAIM "SELF DEFENSE" FOR SHOOTING AN UNARMED CHILD.

First of all, I think it's a horrible idea for a neighborhood watch leader to be carrying around a gun anyway, but this is just so fucked up on oh so many levels.

Re: Justice For Trayvon

There was already a thread. It covers this story and two others.
    Hate me all you want, 95 % of the time I'm write.

I think it's been pressing so hard on people's minds that nobody felt compelled to make a thread about it. It's almost a part of the national tongue, now.

Regardless, this is the kind of story that absolutely does not get less horrific the third or fifth or tenth time you hear about it. It puts ice in the veins and holes in the stomach each time you hear about it. This is some pre-Civil Rights Movement shit.

(we're on Tumblr too!)

Quote Originally Posted by saintsaucey View Post
    There was already a thread. It covers this story and two others.
    Yeah. The thread fell back onto the second page. It's here: http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...-is-Wrong-quot

Easy to miss, though, since the thread is titled for someone else's video talking about the stories.

Also, Fred Clark, of "Slacktivist" had a link to the story last week. He's the first place I saw the report.
    A.K.A. Lailoni Prime Vesta (courtesy of Tom Stillwell)

My blog of random and often geeky things -- Compound Geekery!

Riding the rollercoaster at Six Flags over Armageddon

So the Feds just got involved.

That police chief, Lee, is a dumbass!!! Really, he completely botched this investigation. He took George Zimmerman's word that he had a clean record, not even bothering to check it and see he was arrested for assault and resisting arrest.

He told the press that it was clearly not a case of racial profiling because George Zimmerman didn't know Trayvon was black. When they released the tapes Zimmerman said, when asked to describe the person he saw, "He looks like a black guy" and "Yeah, he's black."

And now he is complaining people are blaming him because he is a white guy in a uniform.

FUCKING DUMBASS

They might not be able to charge George Zimmerman because of Florida's messed up self defense laws, but the police completely botched the investigation.

Some new information has come to light:

Point 1) Zimmerman isn't on the neighborhood watch. Despite what most people think, "Neighborhood Watch" doesn't just mean "people checking for crime," it's an actual organization with members, rules, etc. and Zimmerman is not a member of any local branch. So, he can't claim that it's his responsibility or authority to watch for crime, since he was not selected or appointed by his community to do so. He is, literally, just some guy who's wandering the streets with a gun. Also, even if he was on the Watch, members of the Watch are specifically forbidden from carrying firearms (It's part of the Neighborhood Watch rules, and also part of their agreement with law enforcement). The whole idea is to watch, to report to the police, and actual members of the Watch are given extensive instructions to not interfere themselves. The reasons are many and varied, but it's primarily to avoid exactly this type of situation.

Point 2) The police tapes reveal that not only was Zimmerman told not to get involved in general "leave it to the cops" terms (That info was already known), but he was specifically told not to approach Trayvon. He was told not to get involved and was violating police instructions every step of the way (So, again, he can't claim that was acting as a responsible citizen or that he was looking out for the community).

Point 3) I don't know when this info came out, but it turns out that Trayvon was actually on the phone with his girlfriend when this happened. Not only is that another layer of horrifying since she essentially heard her boyfriend being murdered, but her description of what happened supports "Just plain murder," and the fact that she wasn't even interviewed by the cops initially is another indication that they didn't even bother here.
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

This needs to be resolved either through official government justice, or through citizen justice.

If someone were to kick Zimmerman's door in and shoot him right in the head, it would make me very happy. And that's the truth.
    "Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power." --Benito Mussolini

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and to bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

That actually wouldn't make me happy, because the odds are 10-to-1 that, regardless of what race the shooter is, the news will be "Police looking for black suspect in home invasion" until a correction comes out two weeks later (If it ever does).

What would make me happy (Apart from this not happening in the first place) would be Zimmerman being arrested for Felony Murder (Murder committed in the furtherance of another crime, in this case illegal possession of a firearm, refusing to comply with legal police instructions, and a violation of Trayvon's civil rights) and the relevant police personnel being fired and charged as an accessory after the fact ("A person who learns of the crime after it is committed and helps the criminal to conceal it, or aids the criminal in escaping, or simply fails to report the crime").

That would make me happy, seeing the guilty punished and that "the system" can work, even if parts of it break down.
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    This needs to be resolved either through official government justice, or through citizen justice.

If someone were to kick Zimmerman's door in and shoot him right in the head, it would make me very happy. And that's the truth.
    That's only half the equation. The police department was at best incompetent and at worst covered up a racially motivated murder. The Department of Justice needs to get involved to see atrocious this miscarriage of justice actually is. At the very least, people should be losing jobs, but I'm betting it's a bit deeper that that and certain people will be spending time in prison.