Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: America - what the f@$!, seriously? Firing women for using birth control?

Re: America - what the f@$!, seriously? Firing women for using birth control?

Quote Originally Posted by zemo View Post
    In all fairness though, that is the kind of shit that is going to be reported in other countries. So a lot of people will go "Gee, those Americans are at it again."
    Oh you are correct its how it will be reported in other countries. But how is that, as you say, even remotely fair?

We do have an increasing amount of crazy people getting into power passing crazy laws. Incidents like this need to be reported, but the mockery and venom needs to be properly qualified, because when its not it gives these people more clout than they've legitimately earned. They gain influence when people see their actions as successful, not when they're rightfully pegged as fringe lunacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
    Oh you are correct its how it will be reported in other countries. But how is that, as you say, even remotely fair?

We do have an increasing amount of crazy people getting into power passing crazy laws. Incidents like this need to be reported, but the mockery and venom needs to be properly qualified, because when its not it gives these people more clout than they've legitimately earned. They gain influence when people see their actions as successful, not when they're rightfully pegged as fringe lunacy.
    It's not fair to see this as a behaviour to assume that all americans are like this. The fairness was directed on the outcry "America!". It qualifies because this is how it's going to be perceived, not, though, because it's true. It's not even a fault of any Americans, not even of the nutcase who came up with this. It's people wanting to look down on other people and some parts of the media being only too willing to give them a chance to.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Weeto View Post
    This seems weird that companies want to fire women because they DON'T want to get pregnant.

You would imagine companies WOULD want their employees to use birth control so they didn't have to pay workers who got pregnant unintentionally who were off work having kids or have to hire temps to replace them for the months they're off work.

Seems to be the work of some crazy bible bashers to me...
    Of COURSE it's the work of some crazy bible bashers. It's the AZ state government!

And it's not that they want their employees getting pregnant. It's that they don't want them having "teh sex".

And no, none of that makes any sense. Then again ... look at Arizona. They are the Mississippi of the West. When presented with an opportunity -- ANY opportunity -- to vote against their interests and make themselves look like idiots, they will grab it with both hands. Then they will be very, very proud of themselves about what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
    Oh for pity's sake, "America" is not doing this. Nor even is "Arizona". Nice hyperbole.

The as yet unrealized efforts of Republican Debbie Lesko, or even of the entire Arizona Senate Judiciary Committee of 8 people, does not yet deserve misleading headlines implying the stormtroopers have arrived and the country (or even just an entire state) has joined the Soviet Block in spirit.

Crazy people get into office. When it passes, when it looks like it even has a chance of passing, then we can roll our eyes. For now its just the efforts of a wack-job who happened to get elected, and some string pulling she did to get it past a crappy committee she probably holds a lot of influence over.

Next time try this headline: "Insane Arizona Politician wants employers to be able to fire women for using birth control". There you go. 99% less hyperbole.
    No, try Arizona State Senator and the legislation may very well be moving to the floor. it's easy to be somewhat mellow when there aren't major party candidates for *President* of the country trying to turn back the clock on not only birth control but women's rights in general.

So, yes, I say it's the time to get worried and outraged. Santorum is winning states with his trolling. And I'm not going to be talked into thinking that's not significant. The uproar over this needs to be loud and it needs to be done now.
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Corrina View Post
    No, try Arizona State Senator and the legislation may very well be moving to the floor. it's easy to be somewhat mellow when there aren't major party candidates for *President* of the country trying to turn back the clock on not only birth control but women's rights in general.

So, yes, I say it's the time to get worried and outraged. Santorum is winning states with his trolling. And I'm not going to be talked into thinking that's not significant. The uproar over this needs to be loud and it needs to be done now.
    It is significant. But it's also stupid. And outside of places like Arizona, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama ... well, the usual suspects, really, these messages don't play much.

OTOH, I'm not sure what else anyone can do or say about Jan Brewer and Joe Apairo and the AZ legislature that hasn't been done or said already. They're elected officials -- god knows why, but they are -- and if they're going to continue to do atrocious things, then we can only hope they are elected out next time. But in places like Mississippi and Alabama, for instance, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Well, George W. Bush was stupid and..he was elected President. So forgive me if I'm skeptical that stupid won't triumph.
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Corrina View Post
    Well, George W. Bush was stupid and..he was elected President. So forgive me if I'm skeptical that stupid won't triumph.
    Well, elected is questionable.

My point is, there's nothing we, non-Arizonans, can do about their political process. They can choose to throw them out, or even recall them, as their doing in WI. But obviously, Wisconsin and Arizona (having lived in both, actually) are very, very different states.

Since we have a large group of people intent on regressing women's rights back to the 19th century, does this mean we can bring back panniers and crinolines?

Because I am picturing Das wearing those while swearing like a sailor about it and it is making me laugh.

We need to sell Arizona back to Mexico like yesterday
    Quote Originally Posted by Shel Silverstein
    Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    My Mind's Eye

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by michealdark View Post
    We need to sell Arizona back to Mexico like yesterday
    Personally, I would be happy with everything below the Mason-Dixon line gone, along with the entire swatch from Texas up to ND, and AZ.

We get to keep Miami, though. Who cares about the rest of FL anyways?