BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Characters That You Just Don't Like

Angry Characters That You Just Don't Like

There are some characters that I really like, that I root for, or whose characterizations I enjoy.

And there are lots of characters who've yet to make me care.

But there are one or two that I actively can't stand, and if pressed, I'll pretty much admit that I hate.

One guy is a hero, and once upon a time I thought he was a good guy, but then he became a stiff.

The other guy was always a whiner, and I always just wanted him to run away. Fast.

The first is Cyclops. Loved him when nobody knew who he was, laughed with him in Not Brand Ecch, rooted for him in the early days of the X-plosion, even stuck by him in the Chromium Debacle. Sometimes I really enjoy the characterization. It's pretty good right now. It was, at times, deplorable.

I still have to admit I really don't like the cat. He's got Older Brother Syndrome.

The second one is Quicksilver. I hate that fucking crybaby. Why Cap didn't kick his ass out on Day One and replace him with Black Widow immediately was beyond me. Made me think Ol' Winghead had taken one or thirty too many to the ol' brainpan back in The Big One.

Cap's Kooky Quartet should've been Rogers, Barton, Romanov and Maximoff. Wanda, that is.

I read those Avengers stories 40 years ago and I still hate fucking Quicksilver.

So, what hero, villain, newsboy or fictional mutant speedster fills you with loathing, contempt, disdain, dislike or downright hatred?
    http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_28668/subcat_78800/Thumbs/phantom_eagle-trimpe.bmp

Blade when he was with the Nightstalkers. I was a kid at the time, but I never understood why anyone put up with his garbage. It seemed like every time his friends turned around, he'd try to kill them.
    "Some guy on the net thinks I suck and he should know; he's got his own blog." -- Nick Hornby

Re: Characters That You Just Don't Like

Gambit and Rogue.
    - mike

Hard Boiled

Cyclops. What an awful character.

Also, Aunt May. She should've stayed dead after the brilliant ASM #400.

Sawyer on Lost.

Spoiler:
    I realize now that I apparently just don't like Southern characters.
    - mike

Hard Boiled

Gambit was cool in the '90s X-Men cartoon. Anyone who was growing up and watched it at the time can vouch for it.

For people who only know Gambit from the comics, though, I get where the hate comes from.

I really cannot stand Black Cat. I never felt like her character had any real depth to her, and something about her personality I find irritating.

I think #1 though is Norah Winters. She needs to die in a goddamn fire. Everything that comes out of her mouth pisses me off, and when she refused to help Randy out when he was being attacked by the Hobgoblin because of her "journalistic integrity," that just sealed the deal for me.

As far as non-comic book character go, Peggy Hill may be my least favorite fictional character ever. I also hate the wife from Home Improvement.

Re-reading this post, I think I may be a misogynist.

Read it here: SteveDoesItAll.com

Follow the site on Facebook and Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Gambit was cool in the '90s X-Men cartoon. Anyone who was growing up and watched it at the time can vouch for it.

For people who only know Gambit from the comics, though, I get where the hate comes from.
    The 90s cartoon was my first X-Men experience, and it directly contributed to my hate of Gambit and Rogue.
    - mike

Superman.

It's funny, I was going to write this out yesterday in response to a friend elsewhere on the board who felt bad because he wanted to like Hellblazer/Constantine, but after trying several trades he just couldn't get along with the character, but in the end I decided to opt for brevity. Since you have asked though...

As a fully-fledged card-carrying nerd, I always felt like it was kinda my duty to like Superman.
    I mean, as far as comic book icons go, it's (arguably) Superman, Batman and Spider-Man at the top of the pack, right?
    Therefore, any true comic book fan should love Superman, right?

So I tried to like him.
    For years, I kept checking out Superman books, hoping to find a way to like him as much as I felt I was meant to.

I read all the "best" stories: Man Of Steel, Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow, For The Man Who Has Everything, Red Son, All-Star Superman, Death/Funeral/Return, etc etc, I watched the movies, I watched the cartoons, I watched Smallville and Lois & Clark
    But even though I could respect and enjoy the craft of some of these stories, I still didn't actually care for the character of Superman.

Eventually, I learned to just accept the fact that the character was not for me and was never likely to be.

All that having been said, the time I came closest to really enjoying Superman was the run that most fans seem to hate (or at least dislike), which was the Azzarello/Lee "For Tomorrow" arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew

How's he different in the comics?

Read it here: SteveDoesItAll.com

Follow the site on Facebook and Twitter.