Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Y'know, in some ways I think Katy Perry is more like Madonna was than Lady Gaga

Re: Y'know, in some ways I think Katy Perry is more like Madonna was than Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by dasNdanger View Post
    I don't understand her appeal. Very generic. Not even that cute. But then again I'm not a pop music fan, so maybe I just don't get what works in that genre.

das
    I think she's crazy cute, and her music is catchy as hell. It's also edgy without really being edgy. Perfect for young teens.

I totally get it.

-BCM
    --------------------------------------------------
    The NEW BCM Blog (opinions and whimsy)
    Twitter!

Re: Y'know, in some ways I think Katy Perry is more like Madonna was than Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by BClayMoore View Post
    I think she's crazy cute, and her music is catchy as hell.

I totally get it.

-BCM
    In all fairness to Katy, I really don't care for female singers. They hurt my dog ears. So, unless it's someone like Tracy Chapman, I'm not apt to listen (I've gotten worse with age, too - back when I was younger the high voices didn't bother me as much as they do now, but now I can hardly tolerate them, including ultra high male vocals, like Axl Rose). Also in all fairness to Katy, as a catty woman, I am always going to be a bit critical of another's appearance, especially if she's younger, sexier, and more talented than me, AND my husband thinks she's cute.

das

Katy Perry's music is autotuned, and therefore garbage. I would be interested in listening to the un-fucked-with tracks, though.
    "Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power." --Benito Mussolini

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and to bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

Gunsel

I heard her most recent song The One That Got Away in acoustic form.

Spare yourself the torture. IMO, natch.

If the urge overwhelms you, here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Katy Perry's music is autotuned, and therefore garbage. I would be interested in listening to the un-fucked-with tracks, though.
    I hate the fact that I'm defending packaged pop, but "Firework" is like a perfect teenage anthem.

-BCM
    The NEW BCM Blog (opinions and whimsy)
    Twitter!

Gunsel

I hate that "OOO-OH-OO-OH!" thing she does on occasion, notably in California Girls.

I hate the fact that I'm defending packaged pop, but "Firework" is like a perfect teenage anthem.
    I understand the position that "music that sounds good is good music." Most of the time, that's the way I feel. It just ticks me off that actual vocal talent is getting so increasingly irrelevant. Anyone can be made to sound good with autotune, and that's not fair to all the talented singers who can't get the time of day while mediocre singers become superstars. I know that's always been the case one way or another, but it didn't used to be so easy for bad singers to get credit for talent they didn't have.

The autotune is just really getting on my nerves lately. Pretty much 100% of current pop music uses it so heavily you can't even tell if there's a human voice in there at all. Within a few years, there won't be.
    "Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power." --Benito Mussolini

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and to bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

Gunsel

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I understand the position that "music that sounds good is good music." Most of the time, that's the way I feel. It just ticks me off that actual vocal talent is getting so increasingly irrelevant. Anyone can be made to sound good with autotune, and that's not fair to all the talented singers who can't get the time of day while mediocre singers become superstars. I know that's always been the case one way or another, but it didn't used to be so easy for bad singers to get credit for talent they didn't have.

The autotune is just really getting on my nerves lately. Pretty much 100% of current pop music uses it so heavily you can't even tell if there's a human voice in there at all. Within a few years, there won't be.
    TOTAL agreement!

Yeah, it pretty much is.

I don't listen to her, but pop music has brought plenty of stars to the forefront who have a less to offer.

My generation listened to crap like "I Ran," so I'm not one to throw stones at whatever kids listen to these days.

Gunsel

Don't forget "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go!".