Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm bored of WoW

I'm bored of WoW

I've been playing World of Warcraft on and off for years, and I think I've done just about everything there is to do, seen everything there is to see; I've made it to the top level on Horde and Alliance, explored every corner of the map, had a go at almost every character class, even tried a little PVP (which is not usually my thing), and a couple of weeks ago I killed Deathwing (didn't even get a T-shirt for my trouble). I think I've used it all up, so I'm looking for another MMO to try.

Bear in mind that my computer is several years old, so there's no point in me preordering Tera.
    Real friends don't blow up your pony.

Re: I'm bored of WoW

Can't you try out one of the ones with free play options, like DC Universe Online, Star Trek Online and several others and pick your favourite and one that suits your elderly hardware. I had this issue for a while, where my desktop PC was getting rather patchy at running fairly new games and even my laptop couldn't run new stuff at really high performance levels.

I'm not so sure of the fantasy MMOs but there are several, including the Lord of the Rings one as far as I know, which I believe is still available.
    Independence... Nah!!!

STO, like all Cryptic games, is best viewed on better than average hardware when it came out. Keep in mind, it did come out two years ago and they have made a TON of optimization for lower end hardware since. But it is eye candy and the kind that makes the game itself a bit less sweet if you don't at least have a dedicated graphics card that's less than three years old or so.

I'd say the same of DCUO or Age of Conan honestly.

The good news is, if you have a good desktop card that's three years old or less, you can get a very nice experience, visually.

Just don't go into a F2P wanting to COLLECT everything or you'll need a mortgage to pay for it. But most of the ones I know of do offer a robust and fun experience for free if you can be disciplined with your purchasing... and you might want to play 2-3 if you want to fill a WoW shaped void in your life because they're made with smaller teams who have smaller budgets and have less content.

But I'm still enjoying the heck out of STO. Each addition is a quantifiable improvement to the game.

I've been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic lately and really enjoying it. I have some friend invites to burn. Anyone want one?

I love Star Wars The Old Republic. Some bugs but no worse than any MMORPG in the first couple of months

Karen,

If your machine can keep pace with an PS3 it should be able to handle DC Universe Online and there's new stuff coming in next week. Star Trek Online is similar in terms of load, from my experience, and has been working hard to expand its play options. Both are hybrid Free-2-Play these days.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is fairly resource intensive right now but they're working on ways for older/lower end machines to run it decently. The game is chock full of Star Wars lore, the voice acting is top notch and there's a ton of new stuff coming in Real Soon Now (the 1.2 content patch, due out some time this month). I ran it on a 3-ish year old machine just fine, although a good video card always helps.

On a related note, where is everybody on SWTOR? I'm over on Krayt Dragon (East Coast, PvE) with one character on Kaiburr Crystal (West Coast, PvE).

I'm working my way through FTP right now. After spending two days downloading Lineage 2, I had to give up on it after about 10 min because framerate was down to 2 per second or something stupid. Then I tried Guild Wars, which ran, but I didn't enjoy it much. Didn't feel much like an MMO to be honest. I've been meaning to try DCUO so I'll probably have a go with that next.

Anyone have an y experience of Rift? That's also on my list.
    Real friends don't blow up your pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeto View Post
    I'm not so sure of the fantasy MMOs but there are several, including the Lord of the Rings one as far as I know, which I believe is still available.
    I play LotRO, and it's a lot of fun. A lot of it is how the creators have incorporated things that may have just merited a sentence in an appendix into the major quests, but they also tweak the game play as you advance, which means every ten levels or so, you get a new approach to how your character performs in combat. That keeps it from getting stale. The next expansion is going to include combat on horseback, which is something I've been wanting for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen El View Post
    I've been playing World of Warcraft on and off for years, and I think I've done just about everything there is to do, seen everything there is to see; I've made it to the top level on Horde and Alliance, explored every corner of the map, had a go at almost every character class, even tried a little PVP (which is not usually my thing), and a couple of weeks ago I killed Deathwing (didn't even get a T-shirt for my trouble). I think I've used it all up, so I'm looking for another MMO to try.

Bear in mind that my computer is several years old, so there's no point in me preordering Tera.
    The first step is admitting that there's a problem.

STO may not feel like an MMO at first but, MAN, is the user generated content robust. I'm much bigger in the authorship community there than I am in some of the conventional MMO areas like PvP.

This isn't like City of Heroes' "tweak a dialogue tree" stuff and it's getting a lot more advanced later this year.