KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Thread: Ira Glass quote on creative work

Ira Glass quote on creative work

You might have seen it already, but I just read this and it made me think of here.

“Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.”
    ― Ira Glass

Re: Ira Glass quote on creative work

I love that one, Nick. Seen this one?

That's a good lesson Nick. It is frustrating to be in the early portion, I know this, because that is where I am.

KS - yes, love that one. Reminds me of Bendis' advice.

Beamish - yep, me too. But at the same time, especially with the writing-everyday thing, I can feel it becoming true. I'm no longer precious about ideas because I've thought up better ones. I'm interested/frustrated to see what I could do given enough time and practice.

These are both great. We should turn this into a Meaningful Creative Quotations thread!

Kaz

"In general, in battle one engages with the orthodox and gains victory through the unorthodox."

-Sun Tzu
    Tom Gastall
    tomgastall.com - creative services
    toppohaus.com - art & webcomics

"This truth, marvellous and like an evangel, liberating and of a renewing force, is the principle of the ideality of the world. In relation to man the thinking subject, the world and all that is external to the ego, exists only according to the idea of it which he forms for himself. We know only phenomena, we reason only concerning the appearances; all truth in itself escapes us, the essence of things is unassailable by us. It is what Schopenhauer popularized in the very clear and simple formula: The world is my representation. I do not see what is; that which is, is what I see. There are as many diverse and perhaps different worlds as there are thinking men... The capital crime of a writer is conformity, imitation, submission to rules and teachings. The work of a writer should be not only the reflection, but the enlarged reflection of his personality. The only excuse that a man has for writing is that he express his own self, that he reveal to others the kind of world that is reflected in his individual mirror; his only excuse is that he be original; he must say things not said before and say them in a form not formulated before. He must create his own aesthetic - and we must admit as many aesthetics as there are original minds, and judge them according to what they are and not according to what they are not."
    -- Remy de Gourmont, "The Self and the World"

Been kicking around the web for a little while now, but someone made a video of the Ira Glass quote:

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.p...et-of-success/

"To be the best you have to do stuff that nobody else is willing to do"

-Tom
    Tom Gastall
    tomgastall.com - creative services
    toppohaus.com - art & webcomics

Love Ira! This is so great. How nice of him to put this out there for people. It will help me in my work, though not creative. I need to get off my butt and quit wallowing in despair about not having any talent. It just takes work. This makes me smile!
    I wanna buy cheapest Guild Wars 2 gold!