Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "She Has No Head"

Re: "She Has No Head"

The X-men actually have a lot unsexy villainesses, though they're in general not exactly iconic. Famine, the Horse(wo)man of Appocalypse wasn't very nice to look at. Neither the old one, nor the new one (who spits beetles out of a very big mouth). Then there's a woman called Black Womb, whose power is longevity, but without her body staying in shape. Callisto is a sometimes baddie as well.

I'm not very familiar with the X-Men since I was reading them in the late 80s, but I'm pretty sure the article mentions Callisto, particularly, as having grown hotter since her first appearance. Which strikes me as a complete inversion of the character, but like I said, I've largely kept away from the books for decades now.

Gunsel

I also remember Callisto getting prettier. She went form homely to cute with an eye patch.

And, IIRC, didn't she get beautiful when she and Piotr were an item for a stretch?

Quote Originally Posted by RobStaeger View Post
    I'm not very familiar with the X-Men since I was reading them in the late 80s, but I'm pretty sure the article mentions Callisto, particularly, as having grown hotter since her first appearance. Which strikes me as a complete inversion of the character, but like I said, I've largely kept away from the books for decades now.
    Not sure about Callisto, but she was definitely played by a conventionally "sexy" actress in the movie. And didn't Marrow also undergo a phase where she became "pretty" after she joined the X-Men?

Quote Originally Posted by BClayMoore View Post
    Have you kids read this? I didn't see it posted here:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...its-not-equal/

Well worth reading.

-BCM
    That's spot on.

das

Characters becoming progressively prettier is a problem in any ongoing medium, where their original characterization needs to be modified in order to conform to a new story, but it does seem to strike women a lot more often than it does men.
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK405 View Post
    Characters becoming progressively prettier is a problem in any ongoing medium, where their original characterization needs to be modified in order to conform to a new story, but it does seem to strike women a lot more often than it does men.
    It happened to Wolverine after the popularity of the X-Men movies...he started to look like a song and dance man! Of course, it all depends on the artist, but I prefer my Wolvie a bit on the ugly side.

das

Oh, quite true. As much as I enjoyed Hugh Jackman's portrayal (The man does have talent) I always objected to having somebody so pretty in the role; Wolverine is squat and hairy, not tall and masculinely scruffy.
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerjock View Post
    Not sure about Callisto, but she was definitely played by a conventionally "sexy" actress in the movie. And didn't Marrow also undergo a phase where she became "pretty" after she joined the X-Men?
    I think Callisto was a model with super durability that fled to the tunnels after an injury, but I could be misremembering. The history of her looks is complicated by her long assocition with Masque, who was ugly as all get out but could change the appearance of others, so like Ziggy mentioned she was with Peter after some work by her. There was also some storytelling confusion about a period spent in an alternate timeline (making her much older than she looks).
    Marrow, her ward, certainly changed from being very ugly to not. I wonder where she is these days.

Yeah, I think the Shi'ar or somebody did some work on Marrow to clean up the way her powers interacted with her body.