Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Music In Comics

Re: Music In Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Any stories based on Town Called Malice?

My entire life is based on a Town Called Malice.

-BCM
    --------------------------------------------------
    The NEW BCM Blog (opinions and whimsy)
    Twitter!
    --------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Artful Angie View Post
    Who was it that released a soundtrack back in the 90s for their comic book, to listen to while you read it? Was it ShadowHawk?
    Are you thinking of Red Rocket 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Any stories based on Town Called Malice?

An early ad for Matt Wagner's Mage: The Hero Defined featured the lyrics from "Town Called Malice". When he actually got around to publishing it about a decade later, Kevin Matchstick and Joe Phat trade lines from the song after they take down some monsters.

There's also the Venture Bros episode where The Monarch and Dr Mrs the Monarch move to a town called "Malice". It's a gated community for supervillians. The Monarch makes a comment about it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Funketeer View Post
    Are you thinking of Red Rocket 7?
    That was a really terrific book! Gotta reread them at some point...

Right Guy

No, I remember back in the mid-90s in Same Bat Channel (a chain of stores in the Northeast back then) at the mall, there was a CD of music.

Found the title of it: Shadowhawk: The Secret Revealed (A Comic Book Soundtrack)

Only one website I found for it. To be honest, back then he wasn't a popular hero that I thought the CD was something locally produced.

Here is a copy of the cassette on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shadowhawk-T...item519364e037

For music, it's very much referential, it only works if I know the song and have actually heard it. If it's some lyrics you just wrote, then it doesn't work for me.

"You really can't ignore Bendis, especially when he shoots you in the face with a sniper rifle in Call of Duty." ~Brubaker

Dazzler vs

Storm

These worked for me because they were hilarious.
    Last edited by coveredinbees; 02-17-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK405 View Post
    Strangers in Paradise actually combined both the good and the bad with Griffin Silver. Terry Moore made up this rock star out of whole cloth and began including song snippets, people quoting him, and even full-page re-prints of his songs. When he started doing this I really didn't feel any of it and, like with LotR, I found it a slog to go through all of "Griffin's" songs that took up whole pages. However, then we met Griffin Silver, then we got see some of his performances, and suddenly I was able to get a feel for his music. He was a Bruce Springsteen style rocker, getting a bit on in years and maybe edging into his "Greatest Hits" phase, but still loving the feel of performing and still putting out new music. After I understood that I could again begin to hear how the music might have sounded, and suddenly it wasn't a pain to read his song pages because I could insert the drums and guitars (Poor, poor Griffin. We lose all our rockers too soon).

What seem to make the difference between word balloons with notes in them and making a reader "hear" the song is when the writer takes the time to make the reader understand what kind of music it's supposed to be, so they can fill in all the chords themselves.
    I was gonna say I'm shocked no one has brought up Griffin Silver from SIP. Terry Moore did amazing things incorporating Music in SIP, but none moreso than his inclusion of Griffin in the narrative.
    "do what bert says" - Flamestar (c/o Ouzo Man)

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Storm
    Well of course she can sing, she's black after all.

"You really can't ignore Bendis, especially when he shoots you in the face with a sniper rifle in Call of Duty." ~Brubaker

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    I was gonna say I'm shocked no one has brought up Griffin Silver from SIP. Terry Moore did amazing things incorporating Music in SIP, but none moreso than his inclusion of Griffin in the narrative.
    Absolutely, he managed to really integrate him into the story and the universe (I actually wish I could go to one of his concerts, it seems like it'd be a great show). I always found it interesting that he seemed more "real" to me than Brad, the supposedly more important character; he just seemed so much more alive (That and Brad was always written as something of a jackass, but that's neither here nor there).

Coveredinbees, I'd actually forgotten about that Beyonce sing-a-long, which was a shame because that scene was epic in previously unimaginable ways. I now really want to see that get an inclusion in the new Batgirl series, it's too perfect not to do.
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.