Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Men

Re: Comic Book Men

You know for a show called Comic Book Men, they really don't do much outside of the general public Knowledge of comics and heroes. The rest of it is them doing obviously staged Pawn Stars crap, doing random crap, and just acting like juvenile douchecanoes to people and each other. For God sakesYOU'RE IN A F@#$ING COMIC BOOK SHOP and throughout these past two episodes THEY HAVEN'T SHOWN A SINGLE F#@@#$ING PERSON IN THAT STORE OUTSIDE OF THOSE STAGED HAGGLERS! Talk about actual comics! Talk about comic booK current events! For God's sake FILM THEM INTERACTING WITH ACTUAL CUSTOMERS THERE TO BUY COMIC BOOKS!

This isn't shaping up to be a show for comic book people, but a embarrassing parody of us.

Quote Originally Posted by XXXenophile View Post
    Are you sure about that? Has anyone actually checked on the value of Bob Kane artwork since he passed away? It may not be that far fetched, especially if a place like Sotheby's was auctioning it.
    Yeah.

A bunch of my friends are REALLY big into the original art scene.

They reckon it's worth between 300-500 max.
    "There seems to be something in the human condition that makes people dislike people that they think are different. If we could get rid of that, it'd be a better world" - Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomskyler View Post
    You know for a show called Comic Book Men, they really don't do much outside of the general public Knowledge of comics and heroes. The rest of it is them doing obviously staged Pawn Stars crap, doing random crap, and just acting like juvenile douchecanoes to people and each other. For God sakesYOU'RE IN A F@#$ING COMIC BOOK SHOP and throughout these past two episodes THEY HAVEN'T SHOWN A SINGLE F#@@#$ING PERSON IN THAT STORE OUTSIDE OF THOSE STAGED HAGGLERS! Talk about actual comics! Talk about comic booK current events! For God's sake FILM THEM INTERACTING WITH ACTUAL CUSTOMERS THERE TO BUY COMIC BOOKS!

This isn't shaping up to be a show for comic book people, but a embarrassing parody of us.
    Actually, there was a brief shot in the second episode where you saw ONE customer there.

Two episodes - one customer.

I know that comic stores get high flow traffic on new release days, so it would make sense that the show's filmed around that, on your quiet days. But yeah, it would be nice to see some customers.

EDIT: And yeah, the producers had been actively hunting for interesting items for people to bring in, regardless of their for sale status. I was told they'd been pretty open about that fact though, so I can't complain about it.
    "There seems to be something in the human condition that makes people dislike people that they think are different. If we could get rid of that, it'd be a better world" - Stan Lee

It was never intended to be for comic book people. Nobody wants to watch a bunch of guys sit around and talk about comic books but Pawn Stars has proven to be a successful format in multiple settings and that's all this show is.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Wilson View Post
    How in the hell do you let a fucking loser like Jason Mewes walk into the store and just raise havoc, rip open merchandise and according to what they said during the show, commit credit card fraud?
    Like they said, his name's on the sign. He told them Kevin had asked him to go there.

I got the impression that Kevin sort of....'takes care' of him.

''Mewes wrecked how much stuff? Yeah, don't worry, just charge it to me.''

I also don't see how he could have gotten the CC info off the receipt to re-use either. Unless your systems are RADICALLY different to ours, it doesn't show the complete details needed to do that.

I did notice that there were a couple of shots of folks buying stuff. I noticed because there was even a scene of one of the guys helping a female customer find an item. But, like someone said, a bunch of guys sitting around on days that isn't Wednesday talking about comics probably wouldn't be as interesting to the straights as showing off these unique items.

As for the latest episode...I think it was a marked improvement. The scene with the Batmobile was REALLY fun, and the hockey game was okay. The Mewes stuff...yeah, that was probably the most staged reality TV moment I've ever seen. From what I've seen of Mewes in stuff like the podcasts, it really just felt off, like if he was doing this kind of behavior for real they might have suspected he was back on the horse bad.

Right Guy

Even the Batmobile stuff was staged. We're supposed to believe that a guy owns TWO Batmobiles and lives in that area and they don't know who the guy is?

Quote Originally Posted by Artful Angie View Post
    Even the Batmobile stuff was staged. We're supposed to believe that a guy owns TWO Batmobiles and lives in that area and they don't know who the guy is?
    Certainly, but at least that was fun to watch. The Mewes stuff made me feel a little uncomfortable.

The second episode was better because while some things were staged, like Jared said, the Batmobile was cool. And I was interested in the lightsaber and amused at the guy who thought his original Crisis run was worth up to $100. There were bits I liked here and there and Kevin Smith is good on-screen. I even liked the hockey somewhat because "Clerks" is one of my favorite movies--I'm guessing that was a callback to the hockey scene in "Clerks."

But...start it off with a masturbation joke? Oh, c'mon. And at an hour, it's just too long for such a thin premise. I don't know what to think of the Jason Mewes segment. I assume it was some kind of performance art and the network wanted him to make an appearance. But assuming it was staged and not Mewes being odd, it wasn't entertaining, just cringe-worthy.

But I really liked the stuff with the creator of "So..Buttons." I wanted to learn more about him and his comic, not hear the gazillioneth joke about the "Giant-Size Man-Thing." I'd love to see more of this, bring in some indy creators--sure, it'll be staged but at least it's a lot more interesting than having Kevin Smith recap crisis, which felt very forced.

So, better than the first. Bearded guy is still a jerk and sucks the life out of the show. They're still very juvenile and I caught some more "not man enough" taunts where someone got teased during the hockey game for "being blocked by a girl," and there was another about not being manly enough.

Yes, the Pawn Stars stuff is also staged but it's a half-hour, the bits with the cast are quick and usually funny, and there's no filler. If they just had the Batmobile, a quick hit of the hockey game, So..Buttons, the lightsaber and maybe the Crisis thing in 30 minutes, it might almost be acceptable.
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

It always amuses me that really the only type of comicbook fan that goes on about how others should be manlier is almost always the same that falls out of any definition of manliness in the history of mankind.