BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 53 of 270 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Thread: The ATHEISM Thread

Re: The ATHEISM Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Anomaly View Post
    In a way, I feel bad for people who rely on an imaginary being to give their lives meaning. I feel worse about how they constantly try to impose that reliance on the rest of us, though.

Religion is Dumbo's magic feather. These people truly believe that they need it in order to to "fly" (i.e., be happy, live morally, go to heaven, etc.) Until they realize that they don't need their feather to fly, they're truly confounded as to how other elephants can be zooming about without a magic feather, or any magical assistance whatsoever for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    And some of them have never even heard of "atheism" until they stumbled on the show on their TV. Lots of calls start with "So you don't believe in nothin'?"
    I hear this so often (verbatim, usually) when I tell people that I'm not a believer when they bring up religion. Strictly speaking, it's correct since it's a double negative, but these people almost universally have such difficulty in understanding that a person can believe in love, truth, justice, and any number of abstract ideas without also believing in the supernatural, most specifically their own personal idea of the Christian deity.
    --J. R.

Senior Monster

Quote Originally Posted by King of Mars View Post
    Thousands of years of social and technological progress contradict this claim. Civilization was built on a religious foundation.
    Quote Originally Posted by 19bernardo87 View Post
    The current state of science vs. religion is far different than in the past, when science was seen to validate a creator, not challenge it.
    i.e. stem cell study
    Yeah, compare the scientific progress we've made in the last 200 years under secularism to progress made over the previous 2000 years.

The mental giants at Free Republic respond to the news of the atheist gathering in Washington, and take on atheism in general.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../posts#comment

Let’s all chant together.

* Everything came from Nothing out of Nowhere for No Reason.

* Life is just a curious side effect of an unknowing and uncaring Cosmos.

* When you die, you are just so much compost.

* The best you can hope for is a life of self gratification and a painless extinction.

There, don’t you feel better now that you’re an atheist?
    You left out my favorite, “Just Be Good.”.

(Why? As long as you don’t get caught, it’s all the same. In a godless world the soup-kitchen philanthropist is no morally different from the guy with kids chained up in his basement. And—to get into C.S. Lewis a bit—what is this “good” that you speak of? In a world without God, nothing is transcendent, so the definition of “good” changes with whoever is boss this week.)
    Hmmmm.

2011 Major blizzard paralyzes DC. August 23 earthquake fractures top of Washington Memorial and National Cathedral: August 27 Hurricane Irene strikes and Tropical Storm Lee within days of that.

Sure they say. “Let’s mock him some more and toss in some virgin and child sacrifices to boot.”

DC filled by atheists.....a much better target than any mobile home park ever made and The Lord has the range markers already set out.
    Follow me on this. I'm a non-gun owner. I am grateful to all the gun owners in my neighborhood for keeping me safe from crime.

The atheists should shut up, enjoy their freedom of conscience, and thank whatever it is they pray to that there are Believers in the world.
    When you die either you enter into an eternal dreamless sleep or the adventure continues. What do you prefer????
    A rally to celebrate belief in nothing. Should be a real whizz-bang event.
    This is nutty. Atheists claiming ownership of reason. They can no more prove the non existence of God than clerics can prove His existence. It's a matter of belief, faith. The atheists are not the standard for secular. They are attempting to impose their belief on others. When will theists start beating them with this argument instead of retreating as they get beaten in the courts using a fake argument of separation of church and state.
    Very interesting. I did a Bing search, and then a google search, looking for a photo of stupid atheist protestors. I used “atheist protestor photos” as my search term.

What I discovered is that both Bing and Google are strongly biased toward the atheists. I turned up plenty of cartoons mocking Christians, and plenty of atheist sites saying how very nice and kind atheists are. But not a single photo showing atheists in their true colors. Not one.

It’s hard to see how I could get such a result unless both Bing and Google rigged their search engines to show atheists only in a good light, and Christians in a bad one.
    “Atheists don’t believe in God— but the Devil does’’.— Bishop Fulton J. Sheen.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jay
    The mental giants at Free Republic respond to the news of the atheist gathering in Washington, and take on atheism in general.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../posts#comment
    I feel dumber after reading those comments. Especially the one about atheists "forcing their beliefs on others."

Thanks.

Right Guy

Quote Originally Posted by HOOKS View Post
    I feel dumber after reading those comments. Especially the one about atheists "forcing their beliefs on others."
    And of course the only way to STOP evil little atheists from forcing their beliefs on others is by hanging prayers on school walls.

(I wish that were entirely a joke, but some people really seem to believe it.)
    aka Medieval Guy

Quote Originally Posted by HOOKS View Post

Thanks.
    I love the one that suggests that all the believers are responsible for keeping their gods from killing all of us.

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ chazbot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jay

I love the one that suggests that all the believers are responsible for keeping their gods from killing all of us.
    And that god is taking target practice on DC because he is so upset about the atheists as well.

People with Jesus in their heart sure can say nasty things.

Oh man, I went and registered at free republic. thanks a lot guys.