BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 879 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 379779829869875876877878879880881882883889929979 ... LastLast
Results 8,781 to 8,790 of 10008

Thread: The Official Bendis Board 2012 Presidential Campaign Thread

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Foolish Mortal's Avatar

Re: The Official Bendis Board 2012 Presidential Campaign Thread

Obama says ‘a couple of knuckleheads’ shouldn’t detract from work of Secret Service

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — President Barack Obama is calling the Secret Service prostitution scandal “a little distracting,” but praises the agency for protecting him and his family.

Obama says in an interview on NBC’s “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” show that a “couple of knuckleheads shouldn’t detract from what they do.”

Obama says, “What these guys were thinking, I don’t know. That’s why they’re not there anymore.”

A dozen Secret Service personnel and another 12 military personnel preparing for Obama’s visit to Cartagena, Colombia, are being investigated for cavorting with prostitutes. Six Secret Service agents have been let go over the incident.
    Sites that may or may not interest you..

Quote Originally Posted by BriRedfern View Post
    But the fishermen are fishing within the quotas provided by the agencies that regulate these things. Whole Foods is conveying an idea that the quotas are not strict enough and therefor will not carry the species listed. Are the quotas not adhering to the recommendations of scientists, or is Whole Foods basing their decision on something other than what the governmental agency scientists are espousing? I don't know that Whole Food's science isn't uncertain. I am fairly sure that a decision such as this is in keeping with the image they try to convey to their customers though.
    I don't know anything about anything, but I doubt the official quotas are where the scientists would want them.

According to Whole Foods,

No More Red-Rated Wild Seafood in Our Stores
    Seafood Sustainability
    How to Make the Best Seafood Choices

The seafood they are no longer carrying is rated by the Blue Ocean Institute and Monterey Bay Aquarium as either overfished or caught in ways that harm other marine life or habitats. They are not making this decision on their own, and they are open to carrying the fish again if they be safely fish farmed or caught in sustainable ways.
    They have said if they find sustainable sources and fisheries, and they invite the fisheries to implement sustainable initiatives and apply for MSC or BOI and MBA certiification.

this is the Monterey Label:

Presently caught in ways that harm other marine life or the environment
    and the Blue Ocean:

Low abundance; fishing method seriously harms other wildlife or natural habitats.
    Red rated fish is either not being caught within quotas or they're not bothering with the rating and quotas.
    People think I have got the power cause I've got the monkeys. Nope. I've got the power because I'll let the monkeys loose...

GIFSoup

I was the 7th person in my electoral district to vote in the primary today. I voted half an hour ago.

My parents were two of the other voters.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I was the 7th person in my electoral district to vote in the primary today. I voted half an hour ago.

Good to know at least some people are voting.

here you go:

People think I have got the power cause I've got the monkeys. Nope. I've got the power because I'll let the monkeys loose...

GIFSoup

Large Hadron Collider Dreaded Anomaly's Avatar

The Worst Farm Bill Ever?

• Progressive food and ag programs on the chopping block. For decades, groups like Hoefner's have worked hard to create a set of programs designed to at least partially offset US farm policy's tendency to bolster Big Ag. The programs, which the Obama Administration in 2009 grouped under the banner of Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food, include initiatives designed to assist new farmers to get loans help communities roll out farmers markets, and reduce costs for farms to transition to organic.

Taken as a whole, Hoefner says, the programs amount to about $175 million per year—less than 1 percent of the non-food stamps portion of the farm bill. "These programs make up an extremely modest portion of the farm bill's budget, but they've had a large impact on communities nationwide," Hoefner said. Hoefner pointed to a wide-ranging recent USDA study documenting positive impact of the programs.
    • Big Ag continues to get support for monster corn and soy crops. Large commodity growers will take a nominal hit in the next farm bill. For years, farmers in a few chosen crops—corn, soy, cotton, etc.—have received $5 billion per year in so-called "direct payments" based on the acreage under production. In order to receive direct payments, farmers had to sign so called "conservation-compliance" agreements, which obligated them to create conservation plans for highly erodible land and agree not to drain wetlands for planting. The conservation-compliance agreements were far from perfect, Hoefner says, but they did help slow soil erosion in the Corn Belt for years.

In the next farm bill, direct payments will almost certainly be scrapped, Hoefner says, and replaced by a revenue-insurance scheme that is projected to cost $3.5 billion per year, saving taxpayers $1.5 billion per year. Sounds like a step forward, right? Wrong. First of all, in current negotiations, there is no conservation-compliance requirement for revenue insurance—meaning that farmers will have incentive to drain wetlands to grow crops, as well as expand crops onto erosion-prone land. Moreover, the new scheme will likely insure prices at high levels—meaning that relatively small price dips could cost taxpayers serious money, potentially wiping out that promised $1.5 billion in savings.
    Would you like a bad farm bill — or a terrible one?

Committee members are still planning deep cuts to crucial conservation funding that both keeps farmers from planting up every acre of available land and ensures that their farming techniques don’t endanger clean water and air. Meanwhile, blustery boasts of eliminating farm subsidies are highly exaggerated: Last week, for example, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced that “farm subsidy days are numbered.” But as was decided last fall, the committee simply plans to shuffle the bulk of “direct payment” subsidy dollars over to crop insurance, where they will continue to prop up the “Big Five” commodity crops (corn, soy, wheat, rice, and cotton).
    The House’s version of the bill would cut $180 billion from farm bill programs over the next decade. According to the Associated Press, that would include a whopping “$134 billion, or an average $13.4 billion a year, from the food stamp program.”

That’s a huge cut that would likely cause conditions for the poor in this country to get much worse. Science bears this out: A recent report [PDF] from the USDA’s Economic Research Service showed that food stamp (or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP) benefits led to a 4.4 percent decline in poverty from 2000 to 2009. The current bill expires in September, and a final draft must be put in motion by Memorial Day if we’re going to get any bill this year at all. So these proposed food stamps cuts may just be a way for the GOP to stall or slow down the process. But if SNAP cuts like this did go through, the impact would be huge: One in six Americans — 50 million people — now rely on food stamps.
    The current mainstream farm bill proposals are anti-poor, anti-conservation, and pro-subsidies for huge corporations. Sign a petition against these versions of the farm bill here: Stop the giveaway to Big Ag. Support local foods in the Farm Bill!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Woooooooooow.
    Join the Prime-Punch revolution!
    http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ead.php?210786

Spoiler:

Buy The Gathering!

www.grayhavencomics.com

Are the Romney's capable of opening their mouths without putting their foot in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Mortal View Post
    Gingrich hints he may drop from race this week

Yes, that's right, Newt. It's a mistake for Romney to focus on the general election even though there is no one close to beating him.
    Newt Gingrich: a campaign run entirely out of spite.
    When one side is basing their argument on bullshit and the other side is basing their argument on facts, it is not a violation of objectivity to point out where the bullshit lies.

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Foolish Mortal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by usagi20 View Post
    Newt Gingrich: a campaign run entirely out of spite.
    He'll be done after tonight. He will have run of excuses to stay in.
    Sites that may or may not interest you..