Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Yay" Green Arrow TV show written by Kreisberg

Re: "Yay" Green Arrow TV show written by Kreisberg

I think the New 52 missed a trick with Green Arrow - it should have been Connor Hawke headlining the book. Let's be honest, as many stories as have been told with Ollie, he is a Batman clone with a rather specific weapon focus. Billionaire, non-powered adventurer out to fight mostly street crime? Same ol', same ol'. Zen archer on globe-trotting adventures tinged with mysticism and fantasy? Much more interesting, and nothing like that is really covered in the DCnU.

yeah, if they really wanted a 20 something Green Arrow
    WHY THE FUCK DID THEY NOT GO WITH CONNOR? who just happened to be 20 something.

Funny. To me, Connor is just another martial art character with a mystical background (wave at Iron Fist while driving by) with a weapon focus. While Ollie is an actual hunter/Robin Hood that, unlike Batman, doesn't plan ahead and uses the things at his disposal. Interesting how views can differ.

DC seem to mess up nearly every live action show they go near.

Smallville worked for a while but eventually it got boring and too far away from the source material to work properly. It also pissed me off that Green Arrow was being pushed so much as he isn't such a great character. Ollie can be OK but there are a lot of limitations to the character as he seems to be too much of a mixture of Tony Stark and Robin Hood.

As for Batman, look at the way Birds of Prey had to basically skirt round him in the show and have no involvement with either him or Joker. Having Harley Quinn as the main villain wasn't exactly a huge pull for the show. I liked it but ignoring the whole Batman related part of the story most of the time kinda ruined it.

I don't know how they could make a Superman themed show for 10 years and another division of their own company won't let them touch Batman with a ten foot Batpole.

DC have even managed to mess up their film properties over the years apart from Superman (the first couple of Christopher Reeve movies anyway) and Batman (the first two of the 80s-90s run and the two recent movies) but most of the others haven't worked that well.

DC are basically a division of a film company and yet they can't use Warner as a huge media platform for their characters. I don't know why the hell they aren't destroying Marvel's movies as a great Justice League movie would hit anything that Marvel could do with the Avengers out of the ballpark.

You look at the character roster DC have against Marvel and it seems crazy that Marvel can squeeze out movies galore even about fairly mediocre characters yet DC have been playing games with Wonder Woman and the likes for years instead of putting out a movie.

The only problem I can see is that possibly Warner are being too conservative with their approach to comic movies and not seeing what Marvel have managed with a much more limited group of characters.
    Independence... Nah!!!

Deeble Poost. Sorry.
    Last edited by Weeto; 01-16-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: double post
    Independence... Nah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Weeto View Post
    DC seem to mess up nearly every live action show they go near.
    DC generally has very little influence over the direction the shows or movies take. I'm sure if they did we'd be getting stuff a lot closer to the source for no other reason than that "synergy" phrase companies seem so fond of.

And if this happens and sucks? Eh. Not the end of the world. I just won't watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerjock View Post
    DC generally has very little influence over the direction the shows or movies take. I'm sure if they did we'd be getting stuff a lot closer to the source for no other reason than that "synergy" phrase companies seem so fond of.

And if this happens and sucks? Eh. Not the end of the world. I just won't watch it.
    I would argue that historically, their cartoons have been far superior to Marvel's, though, because of the WB affiliation and the interaction with DC. Of course, Marvel has had some good cartoons (X-Men Evolution and Spectacular Spider-Man probably being the two most notable) and currently have a good one (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes) and a new one that looks promising (Ultimate Spider-Man), their 90s output was pretty awful compared to the DCAU.

Oh certainly. Even Avengers, which I think is very well written, suffers in the animation department. And Ultimate Spider-Man does look very promising! That's generally how I viewed the tradeoff though. DC's animation is usually superior while Marvel so far has the edge in films.

And just the other thing I thought of, is that in my view, if synergy between the comics and media adaptations is a major concern, I feel as though the burden should be on the comic book companies themselves. I don't think strong-arming the directors or showrunners to get them to make their product closer to the comics is very productive, especially when the comics generally (and unfortunately) are seen by a much smaller audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerjock View Post
    And just the other thing I thought of, is that in my view, if synergy between the comics and media adaptations is a major concern, I feel as though the burden should be on the comic book companies themselves. I don't think strong-arming the directors or showrunners to get them to make their product closer to the comics is very productive, especially when the comics generally (and unfortunately) are seen by a much smaller audience.
    Why do you think Ollie is suddenly a 20 something?