Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Looks like some of you guessed it with Huntress (spoilers)

Re: Looks like some of you guessed it with Huntress (spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Corrina View Post
    To elaborate...Starling. If the new BoP gets canceled, I see cannon fodder. Which would totally suck for people who jumped onto the new DCU and got attached.

When even long-established characters are tossed aside, it's hard to get attached to the new ones, at least for me.
    Very well said, Corrina. The way they change history and do backhanded announcements like this "Oh, by the way, the Huntress you've been reading for years is dead," is getting me less and less likely to care about DC. Add in the weird changes like Dinah initially being ok with killing and then actually attacking her team for using lethal force, and I'm thinking Dynamite and their more classic heroes are the way to go.
    My first novel is up Amazon Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/In-My-Brothers...8184334&sr=1-1

And now in paperback, too!

I knew the burning of that Bertinelli passport was going to be a tough scene to read but I didn't realise it was going to be that callous towards Helena Bertinelli. Still, I guess they've left it open for the death being faked in someway, at least I hope so.

Seriously, I'm just missing too many characters who never showed up again (and may never) to be optimistic on that score. But, hey, I hope you're right.
    Same here. I'm holding out some small hope that the Ami-Comi version of Duela will be fun again, screwy and off-the-wall but competent for all of that.

The more I look at the DCnU, and things like the current TT run, the more I'm actually glad that a lot of the old Titans characters haven't re-surfaced ... yet. After what got done to Lilith, its a blessing in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by C.B. Nerdlinger View Post
    They did it to have a big event and a jumping-on point for a bunch of new readers, instead of just circling the drain with the same old ones.

I don't really see any confusion in it, though.
    Really? No confusion at all? Are half these characters even recognizable? Never mind they merged Wildstorm into the DCU. If it's not confusing, explain to me how the new 52 DCU meshes with Birds of Prey and Secret Six... and all those fucking trades sitting on the shelf that don't mesh with this messy new universe they created?

They created more of a jumping off point for the few readers they had left than a jumping on point for new readers. I'd say it's a zero sum game with confusion. The universe is just as confusing for new readers as it was before the reboot they refuse to call a reboot. Except now you burned bridges with longtime fans by killing or ignoring the existence of characters they like.

Tell me, who the fuck was asking for a Stormwatch with Martian Manhunter? Who wanted a Birds of Prey with no Oracle, a character from its inception, and a Dinah who murdered her husband who was involved with Wildstorm's Team 7 and Huntress is fucking dead and nowhere to be found? Wonder Woman where the supposed ideal female society of Amazons seem more villains then heroes (again!)? Who the fuck wanted Juggalo Harley Quinn leading a Suicide Squad against skinny Amanda Waller? Who wanted some shitty fanfic shipping Starfire and Jason Todd? Ya know.. besides the idiots running the DC offices.

The only thing DC had going for it versus every other comics publisher was its recognizable characters with rich history. They tossed that right out the window. If I want to explore a new strange back story of a character, I am going to try a creator owned book, not a DC character. That or, heaven forbid, DC creates some new characters instead of just slapping a new story one already existing.

Hell, DC even decimated ones they had done that with that were somewhat working if only DC would promote them. Secret Six, Cass or Steph as Batgirl, or any number of books that were perfectly fine before the reboot? Those books were no more confusing than the current books!

I maintain that if you had promoted the pre-reboot books with the same push these reboot books got, even with new #1s, you would have just as many sales if not more. There's no fucking reason you couldn't have Secret Six #1 instead of an all new all different all stupid Suicide Squad #1. There's no reason you couldn't have Oracle and Canary and Huntress in Birds of Prey #1. DC tried to fix what wasn't broken and fucked things up more. Instead of trying to fix the characters, they should have fixed their marketing and editorial of those characters. The DCU wasn't broken. The way they sold and managed those characters was. And it looks like their broken methods of selling these characters are now still in full force with this new set of characters.

Fuck the DCU. I am done. They've broken it beyond repair.
    Quote Originally Posted by VkmSpouge View Post
    I knew the burning of that Bertinelli passport was going to be a tough scene to read but I didn't realise it was going to be that callous towards Helena Bertinelli. Still, I guess they've left it open for the death being faked in someway, at least I hope so.
    Then why even say she's dead? Why even put that obviously callous note to fans of the character?! At least Wally West is in limbo. They never said he slipped on a banana and broke his neck. Do the assholes running the show get off on telling fans their favorite characters are dead or wiped for existence and replaced with completely different versions? What kinda sadists run this company? What kinda masochists continue to read these books after such slings tossed their way? Really, what is wrong with us readers who keep coming back for more? I'm done with that abusive relationship with this twisted company. How the hell did I stick with them this long?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlyne View Post
    I think the resulting experience for me is that I'm becoming very ambivalent about the characters. There are some really well-written books out now, but with my lousy record of character attachment I just don't invest myself in the stories anymore. I'll probably end up reading arcs that are recommended to me in trade, but for the big two monthlies have lost me.
    Exactly. I just can't care to buy DC books if this is how they treat characters I have been buying for years. Why should I invest in these new books? I really don't trust the twisted bastards running the show if this is how they repay a fan loyalty to these characters. Why should I give a shit about new characters if they just junked the old ones? Never mind the new DCU seems somehow more colder when it comes to treating characters well. Is this DC comics or a damn George RR Martin book?! Even Whedon isn't this fucking cold and careless.

Funny. I just got back from a friend a Huntress Cry for Blood trade I picked up and loaned to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
    Also - the dimensionally transplanted daughter and former Robin of an alternate Batman taking up a new identity on 'our' Earth is accessible, but Cass Cain, Steph Brown, Connor Hawke, Wally West, et al, are "too confusing"? Please.
    Yeah. That just makes it all the more stupid! THIS is the simpler version of the Huntress for new readers? This is supposed to be a reboot for less confusion? Me am think editors on bizzaro world.

And.. again.. so much for the lie that the Batman characters would remain untouched by the reboot.
    Last edited by The Xenos; 04-27-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    yada yada
    You're done? About time. But stick to it, please.
    "At the end of the day, it's just comic books." - Keith Giffen

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    Then why even say she's dead? Why even put that obviously callous note to fans of the character?!
    No idea, I wasn't defending them. I was giving an airing to the hope I have for that possibility they've left open.

They never said Cass or Wally or Connor were too confusing. Simplifying the universe but limiting the number of characters doesn't mean the concepts like multiple Earths are being dumbed-down.

I bet you thought you'd get a pony one day for your birthday too.

Seriously, I'm just missing too many characters who never showed up again (and may never) to be optimistic on that score. But, hey, I hope you're right.
    Well, if I did, Helena Bertinelli wouldn't have been my pony. Wally West would be my pony. But my other pony would be Earth-2 in general, with a Justice Society disconnected from the League. I honestly didn't realize how much I wanted that until it was announced... although subsequent details have made me wonder how good of an idea it actually is. (Which probably would also be true if I'd gotten an actual pony, unless a stable hand came with it.)

But anyway, having read only one page of a preview, I'll go out on a limb and say that I believe we'll see Helena B., on panel and alive and not in flashback, by the time issue 24 of Worlds' Finest is published -- or by the first week of May, 2014, if WF gets cancelled before then.

I think Levitz is a long-term planner, and I definitely think he's leaving the door open for her return.

Well, I think it's poor long term planning. And I don't think it's a trend unique to Levitz at DC.

And really, it's the wash rinse repeat of this cycle that has me done with it all at DC. Why does DC think it's a good idea to taunt and tease fans with dead characters in limbo? (DCIL.. can I make that a thing?) Dead, brainwashed, written out of existance. Steph Brown got fridged something fierce. Ted Kord. Martian Manhunter. Max Lord I think for a bit with a side of turning evil? Cass Cain had the turning evil while in limbo thing too. How can I forget Ryan Choi! What a mess there. Young Justice seemed to be the new JLI. Connor Kent / Kon El. Bart Allen.

Wally West was dead for a bit during Bart's run and now he's just MIA. And I can't even begin how many characters are in limbo after the DCnU reboot. Now not only replacing Huntress with an Earth 2 version that doesn't even match pre-CoIE Earth-2, but they report that the Huntress from the past 20 years fans read is fucking dead? Yikes.

Worst of all in my mind, they almost fucking offed Dick Grayson because DiDio and company felt he was useless. They didn't see any fandom for Dick fucking Grayson, the star of numerous current and recent DC cartoons and one of their most popular titles ever. I read fans threw things at the stage when they suggested this as a 'joke' to test the waters at conventions. They had to change art at the last minute when fan disapproval showed so strong.

Does DC really think this horrible treatment of characters is a good way of promoting their heroes? Death, torture, turning eeeevil, being written out of existence, being replaced and forgotten. Did Dan grow that beard to appear to be a master villain from the mirror mirror universe here to taunt fanboys? Is that their game? They think this is what fans want and deserve? Yeah. No thanks. I'm done playing this fucking game. I feel stupid for continually buying books from this company this long already. I've finally whittled my pulls down to almost nothing.. time to hit the big goose egg.

Shit. I just remembered the JLI characters I couldn't think of who were killed by this DC administration.

Ralph and Sue Dibney.

It finally came to be when the words, "We need a rape!" popped into my head. What DC did to those heroes was so hideous, I actually must have pushed it out of my head when trying to think of it.

Really, it's not just Huntress. I think that's just the final straw breaking the murdered raped tortured burned fridged erased from this dimension camel's back.