Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes! I has Netflix!

Yes! I has Netflix!

Netflix sent me an email earlier as I had registered for information about their UK launch and I've signed up for a 1 month trial. Because of the way the payment thing is working, I'm going to be keeping my Lovefilm subscription for at least another month too because I'd have to pay for the next month anyway.

I'm quite impressed by Netflix but I'm a little dissapointed that they don't have all the brand new stuff that is just on DVD/Blu Ray.

I'll be giving a good tryout anyway for at least a month. I have all the movie channels on TV so I get to see a lot of films that aren't long off of DVD release.

Hopefully Netflix will turn out good. I know several people here are Netflix fanatics including Gail.
    I am a spaceship.

MOO!

Re: Yes! I has Netflix!

Lovefilm's new streaming service seems pretty good too. I might just chuck the discs away entirely and stay with both if the content is different.
    I am a spaceship.

MOO!

I do love Netflix, I admit it. Curious to hear how it works out in other countries.

The Selection is a lot more limited here in Canada than it is in the states. It's still a great service and you'll always get your money's worth though.

I've actually been browsing the libraries and it appears that Lovefilm has more on it at the moment but Netflix has only came online today as far as I can tell.

They'll both get a fair shot and I'll probably ditch the loser. Lovefilm is actually cheaper at the moment as they have cut prices down to £5 per month for their streaming service compared to Netflix at £6.

At the moment I'm paying £6 for a crappy postal service that only allows 1 movie at a time and 3 per month, although those films are new DVD and Blu Ray films.

A shame that you can't get the latest films in the streaming format as that would be pretty cool.

EDIT: I should mention that Lovefilm aren't some tiny fly by night UK company. They were bought out by Amazon a while back, who have a large and growing presence in the UK and certainly here in Scotland as they took over a factory that I used to work in and turned it into a huge distribution warehouse in Gourock and they've opened an even bigger one in Dunfermline.

So it is basically Amazon vs Netflix rather than just some hokey little company taking on a giant.
    I am a spaceship.

MOO!

I always thought the reason why people in the UK paid so much more money for products had to do with shipping and taxes, but Netflix is distributed digitally and you guys are still paying twice as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Simone View Post
    I do love Netflix, I admit it. Curious to hear how it works out in other countries.
    I keep checking in hopes that they get Dr. Who season six. And more classic stuff, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

As far as discs go, Netflix actually isn't allowed to carry new releases until a certain point past the DVD's release date. The studios do this to try and incite more sales, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually work.

And as far as streaming goes, it's a crap shoot as to weather or not new releases will go to streaming at all. At least to my knowledge.

They were going to try to split off the DVD service from the Streaming service at one point, but that hit all kinds of contractual snags. I'm honestly surprised that they do much business snail-mailing DVDs anymore, honestly, when they should be doing what they can to ramp up the streaming side of things ... which gets expensive with data-center costs and the like.

Netflix don't have a disc service in the UK - it is all streaming.

Lovefilm have both.
    I am a spaceship.

MOO!