BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 859 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 359759809849855856857858859860861862863869909959 ... LastLast
Results 8,581 to 8,590 of 10007

Thread: Ray's 53rd DCU/GrayHaven Megathread - Beware the Court of OOMPHwls!!!

GODFATHER John M. Coker (Johnny C.)'s Avatar

Re: Ray's 53rd DCU/GrayHaven Megathread - Beware the Court of OOMPHwls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray G. View Post
    The Green Goblin killed dozens of people, and then the public embraced him as hero of humanity because he got in a lucky shot.

He then became head of Homeland Security, and started a war that devastated a town and killed hundreds of people.

Now they like him again
    Spoilers:
    and are throwing bottles at young women holding babies because he told them who to hate.

This is the equivalent of Tim McVeigh being pardoned and elected President twice. They're a WHOLE other level of stupid from the real world.
    He's also a corporate millionaire who manipulates peoples' ignorance and fears. You don't think that if we had people with powers and mutants in our world that things exactly like this would happen? Because I sure as fuck do. This country would probably elect the guy President come nine months...

Quote Originally Posted by John M. Coker (Johnny C.) View Post
    You and I in agreement here, or at least partially (I think New Avengers has been good the last few issues). The last 2 issues of Avengers though have been my least favorite 2 issues of ANY Avengers comics that Bendis has ever penned. Although I do think a lot of that was due to the art and the layouts and visual storytelling. But this issue was a VAST improvement over those two. The book might be back on track, this issue was pretty damn strong.
    NA has definitely been the stronger of the two series during this recent arc. I couldn't agree more there. But the whole Osborn returns arc has left me pretty cold. Not as cold as The Hood, Osborn/ Hood or The Hood Returns arcs but still pretty cold.

www.grayhavencomics.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    Once again, Howlett is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slewo.O View Post
    That's why they call me Simple Slewo.

He's also a corporate millionaire who manipulates peoples' ignorance and fears. You don't think that if we had people with powers and mutants in our world that things exactly like this would happen? Because I sure as fuck do. This country would probably elect the guy President come nine months...
    The guy is well-known to be a mass murderer!

The public tends to hero-worship. It would not be that easy to make people hate Captain America while cheering for Norman Osborn.

The Marvel Universe is the "Robble Robble Robble" people from South Park.
    Join the Prime-Punch revolution!
    http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ead.php?210786

Spoiler:

Buy The Gathering!

www.grayhavencomics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ray G. View Post
    The guy is well-known to be a mass murderer!

The public tends to hero-worship. It would not be that easy to make people hate Captain America while cheering for Norman Osborn.

The Marvel Universe is the "Robble Robble Robble" people from South Park.
    People in the real world are the "Robble Robble Robble." And "They took our jarbs."

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Brown View Post
    People in the real world are the "Robble Robble Robble." And "They took our jarbs."
    Exactly.

Yay! A week where I can could actually finish all of today's books... today.

7- THUNDER AGENTS

6- FF

5- ULTIMATES

4- ULTIMATE X-MEN

3- AVENGERS

2- NEW AVENGERS

1- MOON KNIGHT

DC Universe Reviews: The New 52 -

Justice League #6 - ****
    A solid conclusion to Geoff Johns' and Jim Lee's first arc on Justice League, only slightly delayed. For people who were expecting something on part with Johns' masterful, mythology-building run on GL, this might be a bit of a disappointment, because it's little more than a well-executed action-adventure epic with some really cool visuals. But it's about as well-done as one of those could be. The issue is partially told from the perspective of a man who found himself trapped with his family in the middle of Darkseid's attack on the city. The League takes on Darkseid, while Cyborg attempts to gain control of the Mother Boxes and reverse the portals to send the creatures back home. Meanwhile, on Apokalips, Batman infiltrates the city to free Superman, who's being tortured by the new Desaad and Steppenwolf. We only see Desaad in shadows, but he makes for one freaky visual. Wonder Woman and Aquaman manage to put out Darkseid's eyes, and Batman frees Superman just in time for the Kryptonian to turn the tide of the battle. Cyborg manages to reverse the portals, and Darkseid and the Parademons are swept back to Apokalips. The public, having seen the heroes save the day, embraces them, some funny lines from Flash ensue, and the man who witnessed the whole thing dubs them the Justice League. The art is good, but there are some pages that seem hurried. The backup, by Johns and Carlos D'Anda, features a confrontation between Pandora and Phantom Stranger, where we learn that Pandora is apparently a young member of the same council of ancient beings that the Stranger and Specter belong to, and that her reshuffling of the worlds has caused no small amount of anger. Definitely some interesting plot threads being set up here. It seems that the event that reshuffled the world is far from settled.

Miniseries:

The Shade #5 - ***** (Book of the Week)
    I'm not really sure what world this takes place on. There's hints it's on the new Earth, but it seems to be a much longer-running, hero-filled world than the current one. I suppose it takes place in the same world as all of James Robinson's long-running works, and that's a very good thing. He's in his element, introducing fascinating new heroes and villains against a global backdrop. This issue starts with Shade confronting his great-grandson, who reveals that he's been trying to get ahold of Shade's blood so that he can prolong his life enough to solve a few mysteries. Shade agrees to help him, and that takes him to Spain, where he meets up with La Sangre, a teenage vampire who serves as a violent protector of Spain. She also happens to be Shade's adopted daughter, ever since he saved her from Vampire pirates as a baby by sucking out most of the poison from the bite. Their relationship is really well-written and amusing, and Javier Pulido's art is fantastic. This issue also introduces her arch-nemesis, the Inquisitor, a sadistic religious fanatic obsessed with purging sin from the city and hunting her down in particular. This series is incredibly unique, in the way that every issue has a completely different feel to it, pulling the reader into a new world of unique heroes, villains, and adventures that don't resemble anywhere else in the DCU. Robinson's already created quite a few characters I'd love to see again.

Legion: Secret Origin #5 - ***1/2
    This series picks up the action a good deal, with some new mysteries being introduced and one hell of a set piece as the young Legion takes on their first major battle. The issue opens with the team going back in time to meet Superman, but a mysterious shadowy arm intercepts the time bubble and hurls them back to the 30th century. That same being then proceeds to possess the evil Senator Mycroft, and it turns out they have the same endgame of killing Brande. As he plots, the Legion find themselves saving the day against the invading alien fleet, showing up the UP in the process. It's a great action segment, drawn really well by Chris Batista and Marc Deering (who complement each other extremely well). The ending has Brande at the mercy of whoever our shadow-being is, with one issue to go. Good issue, and hopefully the conclusion will be strong.

Bonus Reviews:

Batman Beyond Unlimited #1 - ****
    First up, this is an amazing package. It's essentially two full comics in one - two twenty-page stories in one comic, all for $3.99! Most $3.99 comics are 28 pages at most and sometimes only 19 pages! Now, is the 40 pages of content worth reading? That's also a yes. The first story, by Adam Beechen and Norm Beyfogle, is a prequel to the first big storyline of the Batman Beyond comic, 10,000 Clowns. An army of Jokerz goons from all around the country are descending on Gotham, and it's all Terry can do to keep up with the crime spree. Meanwhile, Bruce meets with Commissioner Barbara Gordon to discuss the crisis, and Max continues to get deeper into the world of the criminal hacker Undercloud. Meanwhile, Terry's ex-girlfriend Dana is still having issues with her brother, newly returned from prison - who turns out to be in league with the Jokerz. It's a fun read, as is the second feature, Justice League Beyond by Derek Fridolfs and Dustin Nyguen. This is more action-driven than the first story, dealing with a Gotham gang war between Jokerz and Splicers. There's also a reveal of a potential traitor within the League - Micron, who was undercover with Kobra and seems to have gone native. 40 pages of story, with a lot of action, great dialogue, and a fun old-school vibe. Well worth giving this a try.

Tiny Titans #49 - ***1/2
    With only one issue until the end of this series, they seem to be throwing everything against the wall and seeing what sticks. Literally, in this case - it's the squishy issue. Plasmus, Clayface, and Proty take center stage to have all sorts of wacky shapeshifting antics. Clayface even drops an epic poem on the team about all the things you can do with mud. Things don't really get going, though, until Larfleeze and Glomulus show up. With cheese logs. It all turns into the oddest valentine's day issue ever, and that kind of random wackiness is exactly what I love about Tiny Titans.

Batman: Odyssey #5 - *
    The insanity continues. We find out that Robin survived - somehow - using an odd device that Batman rambles about that I don't quite understand. So, with Batman not a murderer, the team heads off to confront the Gnome King about the Sensei's plot. This involves brutally beating and breaking the arms of gnomes until they tell Batman where to find the king. The king reunites them with Talia and Cave-Bat's wife, and then some rogue goblins attack and a huge, prolonged, bloody battle ensues until the king spears the rebel leader through the chest. And I'm still not sure at all exactly what the hell is going on here. Unlike the last few issues, there isn't quite the same level of anarchic insanity. It's just kinda bad.

DC Universe Online Legends #24 - ***1/2
    This series is coming to a surprisingly strong conclusion, as Luthor and Brainiac's long-running chess game reaches a fever pitch. The issue opens with some tense scenes in the hero's infirmary, as Booster and Starfire fight for their lives. Things go from bad to worse very quickly, as Brainiac seizes control of Luthor's bio-suit and forces him to turn on the team, apparently killing Superman and Wonder Woman. With the battle apparently won, Brainiac moves to eliminate the loose ends - including his own allies - and finish the job on Earth. But it was all a feint by Luthor, who reveals that he, Superman, and Wonder Woman are all actually ready to take him on, setting up one hell of a final showdown over the next two issues.

THUNDER Agents #4 - ***1/2
    The battle for Subterranea continues, with guest art by Sam Keith. We learn the origin of Dr. Emil Jennings' association with Subterranea at the start of the issue, and then No-Man learns that his old mentor and friend is actually working with the underdwellers, who have aligned with the evil Demos. The issue is very talky, but the strength of the issue lies in the one big action scene, where Lightning runs his last race and sacrifices his life to save the team. It's a very effective, touching scene - and the mood is quickly ruined by another last-second betrayal at the end of the issue. Good issue, even if I really haven't connected to any of the characters yet.
    Join the Prime-Punch revolution!
    http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ead.php?210786

Spoiler:

Buy The Gathering!

www.grayhavencomics.com

Suspended
    Ray, it takes place on Earth-0, albeit with some Robinson-isms. I'm not sure what the confusion is.
    Slewo's right.

Oh god, I just typed the words "Slewo's right."

TWICE!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Brown View Post
    Jarbs!

Anyone here need the first 5 seasons of Entourage?