Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wow. . "Work It". . the unfunniest piece of crap I think I've ever seen on TV

Right Guy

Re: Wow. . "Work It". . the unfunniest piece of crap I think I've ever seen on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Cam63 View Post
    The show's publicists ?
    I'm sure there's a Gaffer or Sound Editor whose mom is watching just to see her son's name in the credits at the end. But this new trend of shrinking the credits so you can split-screen with a promo for next week's episode (or a completely different show promo) makes it hard for her to read little Johnny's name without a microscope.

Re: Wow. . "Work It". . the unfunniest piece of crap I think I've ever seen on TV

Cancelled after two episodes. One episode more than I predicted.

Wonder if there will be a DVD release?
    "Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power." --Benito Mussolini

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and to bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post

Thank God. I feel vindicated that this thing bombed so badly, since it shows that Americans aren't so stupid as to let pieces of crap like that last too long. Even we have standards.

Banned

Aaaaaaaaaaand ... done.

SHOCKED it took two, as well.
    "do what bert says" - Flamestar (c/o Ouzo Man)

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

Whitney next. Whitney next.

Y'Know... I could find her funny but she'd need a whole new writing staff. The actor who plays the boyfriend could really go places too. But the premise sucks. The writing sucks. The cast ensemble composition sucks. And if you're going to cast a Kathy Griffin clone, just get Kathy Griffin.

There was a show a few years back with Craig Bierko and Rashida Jones that nobody ever talked about and it lasted eight episodes. And as groan worthy as that and some other shows were and as glad as I am Rashida Jones moved on to help start Parks & Rec, I can't help but see a decline in the quality of the "What were the networks thinking...?" shows and this comes coupled with a marked increase in the quality of the cult shows that the network pulls the plug on. (Arrested Development was good but Community is a religious experience. Freaks & Geeks was okay but, geez, Dollhouse and Sarah Connor and Firefly and all the "unjustly cancelled" shows today are works of art.)

The good "unjustly canned" shows are getting better. The "what the hell kind of drugs or blackmail ever let this see the light of day" shows are getting worse.

I blame it on the networks and advertisers clinging to broadcast audiences... who are culturally irrelevant, increasingly, and will die off soon. The online audiences are the future and they don't watch broadcast TV. Ditch the Nielson. Go with website ratings and advertisers need to learn to pay fair rates and actually market products instead of recycling 1950s approaches and formulas.

Two? Awesome! got it right on the nose!

Banned

Whitney Cummings is much funnier than the intolerable (IMO) Kathy Griffin. The thing is, Cummings is only funny when she's able to just let loose. Having a show on at 8pm on NBC does not give her any room to breathe. I don't really understand the thinking behind giving Whitney this show in the first place, to be honest.

This thread's been dead for a while, since the show has been dead for a while, but earlier today I stumbled across this: Work It included on "Worst TV SHows of 2012" list.
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison_Lad View Post
    Whitney Cummings is much funnier than the intolerable (IMO) Kathy Griffin. The thing is, Cummings is only funny when she's able to just let loose. Having a show on at 8pm on NBC does not give her any room to breathe. I don't really understand the thinking behind giving Whitney this show in the first place, to be honest.
    I admit to only seeing like an episode and a half of "Whitney", but the disappointment of how vanilla it was prevented me from being able to stomach any more. I mean it wasn't just vanilla for Whitney herself, it was a boring setup, with stale jokes, a yuk-yuk laugh track, and a startling lack of self-awareness.

Did it get any better the rest of the season? Somehow I'm thinking not, or if it did there was still a pretty small area for it to do so, since Whitney Cummmings in a show where she's filling the same kind of role that Brooke Shields and Lea Thompson played in the mid-90s is inherently limited.