Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wow. . "Work It". . the unfunniest piece of crap I think I've ever seen on TV

Re: Wow. . "Work It". . the unfunniest piece of crap I think I've ever seen on TV

Gailbo-er Peter Post did a great job of eviscerating this for TLC. The article is going live 11am US time.
    New blog Hop Scotch Friday - books, films and opinions.

Re: Wow. . "Work It". . the unfunniest piece of crap I think I've ever seen on TV

Quote Originally Posted by AthenAltena View Post
    Yeah, this whole trend of BUT WHAT ABOUT THE POOR MEN needs to stop. It's nothing more than some men being threatened by the fact that women are growing more powerful while ignoring that men still hold most of the power and make most of the decisions.
    But even then, there is humour in that if done right. The problem isn't the concept, it's that it's seemingly (Not seen any of these, but none look great and there isn't much saying I'm wrong out there) the lower talent creators rather than the smart ones.

Quote Originally Posted by NickT View Post
    But even then, there is humour in that if done right. The problem isn't the concept, it's that it's seemingly (Not seen any of these, but none look great and there isn't much saying I'm wrong out there) the lower talent creators rather than the smart ones.
    Yeah, it can be funny if done right (i.e. showing just how ridiculous the idea really is), but here it's being played dead straight. The fact that the writing is extremely sexist doesn't help at all so it just comes out as lashing out.

If you want a good "needs to cross-dress for a job" movie then try Victor/Victoria, that has Julie Andrews and James Garner and is hilarious (and touching, although I do wish that the director hadn't, in his own words "chickened out" and put in that scene with the closet and bath). The difference is that there the joke isn't "OMG IT'S A CHICK DRESSED AS A DUDE LMFAO!" and they at least try to have a reason why "Victor" gets a job when Victoria can't (As opposed to here, where from what I can gather the idea is that the men are just better at being women, which is just....which is just wrong).
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK405 View Post
    If you want a good "needs to cross-dress for a job" movie then try Victor/Victoria, that has Julie Andrews and James Garner and is hilarious (and touching, although I do wish that the director hadn't, in his own words "chickened out" and put in that scene with the closet and bath). The difference is that there the joke isn't "OMG IT'S A CHICK DRESSED AS A DUDE LMFAO!" and they at least try to have a reason why "Victor" gets a job when Victoria can't (As opposed to here, where from what I can gather the idea is that the men are just better at being women, which is just....which is just wrong).
    Yeah, I don't have a problem with stories of this type that have something like a guy who's forced to pose as a woman coming to understand the difficulties women face, the sort of "walk a mile in my shoes" idea, since that at least has some meaningful social commentary. This has no such depth.

Quote Originally Posted by AthenAltena View Post
    What I've heard is that even once you get past the transphobia (which in my opinion is enough to doom it on its own) it's just flat out bad. Let's hope it gets canned, and soon.
    Once you get past the transphobia, you notice it's horribly misogynistic, too.

And the post is up!

Worst TV Show Ever: Work It.
    New blog Hop Scotch Friday - books, films and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias M View Post
    And the post is up!

Worst TV Show Ever: Work It.
    Not bad. You need to strikeout "Bosom Buddies" and fix the comma-splice in the sentence that it appears in, though. Right now, the first sentence of the third paragraph is confusing as hell.

Right Guy

I posted a thread about this show just after I saw the first promo, and stated from the start how hugely terrible it looked. The whole formula doesn't even work in a modern business frame of mind, let alone how bad the acting and writing looked.

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    good lord, and tonight, during "the Middle" and "Modern Family" ABC was running ads touting their new "Hit Comedy "Work It""

really??

every review I saw said it was dismal.

and it did poor in the ratings.

but it's a "hit". . with who, exactly?
    The show's publicists ?