Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow. . "Work It". . the unfunniest piece of crap I think I've ever seen on TV

Wow. . "Work It". . the unfunniest piece of crap I think I've ever seen on TV

and the critics are rightfully savaging it.

http://gawker.com/5870140/the-hatred...how-in-history

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...g-in-every-way

I ended up fast forwarding after an excruciating 20 minutes. . trying to find SOMETHING remotely funny or redeeming.

and yeah. . I failed.

someone got PAID to put shit like this on the air!

amazing.
    "do what bert says" - Flamestar (c/o Ouzo Man)

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

Re: Wow. . "Work It". . the unfunniest piece of crap I think I've ever seen on TV

What I've heard is that even once you get past the transphobia (which in my opinion is enough to doom it on its own) it's just flat out bad. Let's hope it gets canned, and soon.

Re: Wow. . "Work It". . the unfunniest piece of crap I think I've ever seen on TV

Yeah, this looks up there with "The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeifer".
    Join the Prime-Punch revolution!
    http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ead.php?210786

Spoiler:

Buy The Gathering!

www.grayhavencomics.com

Wow, somebody actually watched this?

My fear is that the Rubbernecking Effect will make this show a hit. So many people will tune in to see if it's as bad as everyone says that it will get big ratings, and then the assholes of the world will embrace it as a defiant flipping of the bird to political correctness. The right wing will adopt it as one of its tribal fetishes, like Bill O'Reilly and global warming denial and Jesus.
    "Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power." --Benito Mussolini

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and to bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

So it's like...Bosom Buddies but much worse?

(we're on Tumblr too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
    So it's like...Bosom Buddies but much worse?
    Bosom Buddies had a stellar cast of talented comedians (none moreso than Wendie Jo Sperber).

yeah. .the writing was wildly uneven, but the talented cast made it work:

Tom Hanks
    Peter Scolari
    Holland Taylor
    Telma Hopkins
    Wendie Jo Sperber

and Donna Dixon (for eye candy. . every show needs a "Chrissy").

if you can believe it, this piece of crap is so bad, it makes Bosom Buddies look like "the Cosby Show"
    "do what bert says" - Flamestar (c/o Ouzo Man)

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

I also can't help but both laugh and wince at how hilariously bad the drag is. Honey, I know real drag queens and have dabbled in it myself, it is an art. That and trans people not being able to pass has real world consequences that are not at all funny (i.e. you can still be fired for being trans in 34 states), which is the main reason so many people didn't want this to air at all.

Chiseler

I don't know, cross-dressing shows don't last very long on network tv these days, so I'm not too worked up about it. I remember about 10 years back there was a show about a guy that dressed up like a woman so he could get a job writing the Dear Abbey column. It didn't make it past its first season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray G. View Post
    Yeah, this looks up there with "The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeifer".
    Hey if you believe the writers of Clerks that was an amazing series!

I also can't help but both laugh and wince at how hilariously bad the drag is. Honey, I know real drag queens and have dabbled in it myself, it is an art. That and trans people not being able to pass has real world consequences that are not at all funny (i.e. you can still be fired for being trans in 34 states), which is the main reason so many people didn't want this to air at all.
    Yeah. And from at least what I could gather in at least one promo, there's active jabs at the trans community in it? Like one promo has the two totally cis, hetero protags apparently talking to a drag queen for tips and while it's only like a 30 second promo, it definitely frames it in such a way so that the heroes (and audience) are supposed to be weirded out and horrified by this cross-dresser who "takes it seriously" and it just looks really gross.

There's a potentially fun concept in that, shame it apparently isn't done by someone with more talent.