KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Club 100

Club 100

I've been noticing in some threads on here how hard people are finding it to write every day. Like, EVERY day. And I am totally with you on that. I have trouble, even now! Before I started writing for a living (and I've only been doing that since January of this year, so I really am a Baby Writer) I struggled SO BADLY to keep the daily words coming. Especially with day jobs, working shifts, family stuff, and all the other things that Life brings you.

So, I wondered if it would help any of you guys to try the thing I tried a few years ago. It's not my idea at all - I can't take the credit - but it's something that has been used by prose writers/novelists for a long time.

It's called 'Club 100'. Here are the rules:

-Write 100 words every single day for 100 consecutive days.
    -If for ANY reason you miss a day, you go back to Day One and start again.

That's it. Very simple.

The idea is not to break the 'thread' of daily words, and it becomes a challenge to see those days and words pile up. It's something that encourages the DAILY ACT OF WRITING. And, you know... 100 words is barely half-a-page of dialogue in a novel or short story manuscript. It's just one paragraph (one paragraph!) of description.

You can write one paragraph a day, right? Even if you scribble it down on a piece of paper before you go to sleep. Even if you do it handwritten in a notebook on your daily commute (I did that for a while). Or on your lunch break. It doesn't take more than about 10 minutes to write 100 words, as long as you don't allow yourself to agonise over every single one of those words. (Which is part of the trick, I know.)

Of course, you can write way more than 100 words - and you'll probably find that many times you will end up writing several pages, or whatever. But it's a great way of getting past the "I can't write every day" block that hits so many of us. On the days where you really DON'T have time, you can still squeeze in your 100 words. Write them in the bath! Or... anywhere else...

I'm not sure how transferable this idea is to comics writing, but why not give it a try?

The Effing President TheTravis!'s Avatar
    I have been trying to put out 5 pages of script per day. Nor sure what that translates to.
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    the travis is a sweety.

Re: Club 100

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravis! View Post
    I have been trying to put out 5 pages of script per day. Nor sure what that translates to.
    Oh, well that's a lot! Hundreds and hundreds of words. Good going!

This is more for people who don't write every day, but really want to build a regular habit.

The Effing President TheTravis!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mahoney View Post
    Oh, well that's a lot! Hundreds and hundreds of words. Good going!

This is more for people who don't write every day, but really want to build a regular habit.
    My bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    the travis is a sweety.

Grifter

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mahoney View Post
    I write for work every day, but it's very much bizness writing which includes some technical and manual writing. I want to get more betterer at the fiction, and I think this is an excellent exercise to work that particular writing muscle.

Thanks, Karen for the idea and inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry.Tyson View Post
    I write for work every day, but it's very much bizness writing which includes some technical and manual writing. I want to get more betterer at the fiction, and I think this is an excellent exercise to work that particular writing muscle.

Thanks, Karen for the idea and inspiration.
    You're welcome! It actually is kinda fun once you get into it. It almost becomes a game - making sure you don't drop the ball on your 100 daily words. I suffer migraines, and one time ("in band camp") I was flat out for 24 hours in the worst pain of my life but still wrote 100 words. I had one eye shut (for the pain, not just for fun), and for some reason was writing on a comic book backing board. That's dedication for ya!

I'm much more of a wuss these days. If I get a migraine, I just give up on writing for the day. But back then, I was determined to make the 100 consecutive days. Especially once you get to day 93 or something. You spend half the time terrified that something will happen to derail you and you'll have to go back to the beginning... My boyfriend supervised me and called me on my bullshit if I tried to pretend I'd written, especially as I was working loooong shifts in an understaffed London library and was always knackered.

Let me know if you give it a try! I might do it again myself - I'm losing my discipline, lately.

Like like like

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravis! View Post
    My bad.
    No! Don't say that. Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Sue View Post
    Like like like
    It could be used for side projects, too, like... novels that people (*cough*) might want to write. 100 days = a minimum of 10,000 words, which is more than enough for a partial/proposal.

Grifter

Day 2 and counting.

Maybe we should post some of these now and again.