Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: The New Amanda Waller: ARE YOU FRICKIN' KIDDING ME!

Re: The New Amanda Waller: ARE YOU FRICKIN' KIDDING ME!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    The DC animation folks are classicists. The entire POINT of a reboot was to rebel against that kind of orthodoxy.

The ideal is for the comics not to be iconic but to hit enough iconic notes to be edgy. It's punk rock. This isn't Frank Sinatra's "My Way", this is the Sex Pistols' cover of it, if all goes well. It's like saying you'd rather hear James Darren or even Rod Stewart cover the song respectfully. The whole point is to cover it knowingly and without that level of respect.
    Your argument is nice, but it falls apart when DC picks what they see as rasisins to stay relevant in the reboot. If you at one side go into so much detail as to take Ollie Queen's beard away (and no one will argue this isn't iconic) to do a reboot, but then on the other you say that Identity Crisis or the Killing joke happened, then you can't complain about people wondering about consistency and picking the bad raisins of your reboot out themselves. And to stay with the cover analogy, you can cover My Way on alp horns, and it will hit enough iconic notes to still be edgy. Doesn't mean it will be good. "The entire POINT of a reboot was to rebel against that kind of orthodoxy" is a non-argument when it comes to the quality of the end result. New stuff can be good, new stuff can be bad. Many people dislike the new, thin Waller, not necessarily because they are conservative with their tastes, but because making her thin is problematic.

And additionally, for everybody who says her personality isn't dependent on her weight or figure: The medium is the message. What you write your message on is as important, if not more, than the message itself. If your message is "this is a woman that has an unbendable will and that will reach the goals she has set for herself" then this message is altered considerably by the kind of woman you portray.

The DC animation folks are classicists. The entire POINT of a reboot was to rebel against that kind of orthodoxy.

The ideal is for the comics not to be iconic but to hit enough iconic notes to be edgy. It's punk rock. This isn't Frank Sinatra's "My Way", this is the Sex Pistols' cover of it, if all goes well. It's like saying you'd rather hear James Darren or even Rod Stewart cover the song respectfully. The whole point is to cover it knowingly and without that level of respect.
    That might be the ideal, but nuDC hardly qualifies...it's just as calculated and marketing-driven as what it's replacing, if not moreso.
    - JKC -
    Glorianna: Barbarian adventure every Friday!
    Lady Spectra & Sparky: Superhero action every Monday!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
    Now even more I want to take my middle finger, extend it, and then shove it up DC's... oh never mind. That would have ended gross anyway.
    Not to mention that there's no more room for middle fingers in there since a lot of longtime readers had the same idea as you did.

Honestly, can we put the DC animation folks in charge? They aren't morons.
    We did have Dwayne McDuffie in charge of the JLA for a while. Then Dan DiDio fired him for being honest in an interview about the number of editorial hoops he was forced to jump through.

Quote Originally Posted by JKCarrier View Post
    That might be the ideal, but nuDC hardly qualifies...it's just as calculated and marketing-driven as what it's replacing, if not moreso.
    I just wish it wasn't so utterly transparent.

You can't claim to be fighting the orthodoxy and then make all your females model-thin. That IS orthodoxy.

REAL Waller Alert. On the latest Young Justice episode. REAL WALLER ALERT!

And its not the super-fat version. Its the medium sized one who's a good compromise. But its fine that way. She's clearly not a pair of boobs and a lot of makeup like the DCnU version, instead she's the age we expect, dresses the way we expect, and is still a reasonably intimidating figure. Which WORKS, damnit.
    Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shel Silverstein
    Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    My Mind's Eye