KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Thread: How Not To Start Your Monday Morning

How Not To Start Your Monday Morning

I just read a thread on a message board (not Jinxworld) that made me want to put my fist through a wall. Right this minute I despise comics "culture."

Somebody say something smart.

Re: How Not To Start Your Monday Morning

If it was on WC I know the one you're thinking. If not, that sucks. As to something smart, Freddie Mercury is brilliant and deeply missed.

Listened to a podcast today where they talked about a study that showed that humans can memorise 5-9 numbers (7 +/- 2) and that the closer to 9, our reasoning was impaired and emotion figured stronger in our choices.

The study had people memorise numbers, half the people had a 2 digit number, half had a 7 digit number. They had to walk up a hall and recite the number in another room. Halfway up the hall, they were offered a snack, ostensibly to say thanks for their participation in the study.

They were offered a choice between fruit salad and chocolate cake. The people who had a 2 digit number to remember mostly chose the fruit salad. The people who had a 7 digit number chose the chocolate cake.

The suggestion being that the people who had less to remember were more able to make a choice that was healthy/better for them, while the people who had more to remember erred towards the emotionally satisfying choice.

It was marketing psychology research, I believe.

So, it's a bit of a jump, but I was thinking maybe there's something here for storytelling: if you need to explain something complex (your heist plot) keep it simple. If you want an emotional reaction (like the reveal of Gull's hallucination of the Great Architect in From Hell) overload the senses.

I wonder how well the principle holds (I can think of examples that seem to do the opposite), but it made me think.

Hope that helps.

N

I'm not feeling all that smart today, I'm afraid. Um... Oh, look! Here's someone ELSE being smart:

http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2011/08...s-and-pellets/ (read this first)

And then:

http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2011/09/05/aspirations/

Toby is a smart guy, a great writer, and a pretty cool person. I think these two recent posts apply to writers whatever their chosen genre/medium - maybe they'll give you something to take your mind off the crap.

Kaz

The Effing President TheTravis!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Sue View Post
    I just read a thread on a message board (not Jinxworld) that made me want to put my fist through a wall. Right this minute I despise comics "culture."
    My curiosity about drama is interfering with my desire to not inflame drama. Stupid moral high road. You ruin EVERYTHING!
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    the travis is a sweety.

"Somebody say something smart."

Spurgeon's recent essay on Comicsreporter + MF's interview on Comicsalliance = pretty inspiring stuff.

Tom Gastall

Grifter

I've always believed it (or perhaps just wished it) but jerks, dumbasses and assholes die sooner.

Perhaps there is hope for the universe afterall.

I nth Tobias Buckell being all-around awesome.

I also fear for my sanity, because when the nice psychiatrist asked me to memorize a bunch of numbers some years ago, I got far enough past nine that she looked worried and then halted the recitation entire and asked me how I was doing that.

maybe you got that thing like marilou henner has. and now she has a show!

One adult female flea lays thousands of eggs (thank you, Guster).

das