KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Writers & Artists: What are you working on?

Re: Writers: What are you working on?

I'm currently adapting a friends novella into a graphic novel. Fun stuff. Then I'll start the search for an artist.

In between working on that project I'm gearing up for this year NaNoWriMo this will be my seventh attempt.

I added Iron Witch to my Amazon wish list. It sounds like a fun read.
    -Twitter - Facebook - My Blog - GrayHavenComics.com - tumblr

gamertag badPOP - PSN luckybubblegum

<--- wait for it

Quote Originally Posted by paul brian deberry View Post
    I'm currently adapting a friends novella into a graphic novel. Fun stuff. Then I'll start the search for an artist.

In between working on that project I'm gearing up for this year NaNoWriMo this will be my seventh attempt.

I added Iron Witch to my Amazon wish list. It sounds like a fun read.
    Adapting something to a GN must be awesome fun! I have a manuscript for an old novel written - it IS finished, but I don't think there's anything I can really do that will make it work as a novel. I've been thinking of adapting it (with a huge rewrite) into a graphic novel... Let me know how yours goes!

Good luck with NaNo! I've never officially participated - well, one year I signed up but then didn't even start. Heh. But The Iron Witch was actually an unofficial NaNo novel from way back in 2007. That's how it started life, anyway. Obviously went through a ton of revisions, etc. later on, but me and a couple of friends just decided to do out own version of NaNoWriMo that year. We were aiming for 30K, but I ended up hitting 50K and really surprised myself.

Thanks for adding the book - I am proud of it because it's the first one I ever get published and I worked SO hard on it. But at the same time I see things now that I know I could do better. That's what keeps us writing and creating, though, I think: pushing forward in the hope that, perhaps one day, we'll match our vision of a project with the actual execution.

Kaz

I realised that I didn't really talk about what I'm working on right now, having started the thread and got all excited over what all YOU guys are working on. So, currently I am in various stages of production on three novels. My brain hurts just thinking about it:

- copy edits of Book 2 in the trilogy
    - first draft of Book 3
    - revisions/rewrite of the New Book that starts a new series

Of course, me being the crazy kid that I am, I decided to say "YES" to a short project that offers me an opportunity to do something comics related. It is very tiny and we'll see what - if anything - comes of it. But I just couldn't say no despite the deadlines... I've been up til 3 or 4am working the last few nights, but I'm not complaining. I love it!

Kaz

The Effing President TheTravis!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mahoney View Post
    I realised that I didn't really talk about what I'm working on right now, having started the thread and got all excited over what all YOU guys are working on. So, currently I am in various stages of production on three novels. My brain hurts just thinking about it:

- copy edits of Book 2 in the trilogy
    - first draft of Book 3
    - revisions/rewrite of the New Book that starts a new series

Of course, me being the crazy kid that I am, I decided to say "YES" to a short project that offers me an opportunity to do something comics related. It is very tiny and we'll see what - if anything - comes of it. But I just couldn't say no despite the deadlines... I've been up til 3 or 4am working the last few nights, but I'm not complaining. I love it!

Kaz
    Karen, you make me feel like a total slacker. Please tell me you don't have a day job in addition to your writing, or I am going to cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    the travis is a sweety.

Travis M. Holyfield
    http://www.travismholyfield.blogspot.com/

Man, I did a lot of work today, but it's all the kind of work where I end up feeling like I did nothing.

* Final edits on the GN script and then off to the artist. It is now officially out of my hands.
    * Review of a four page anthology script before sending it to the editor for lettering.
    * Edited a five page script down to three pages for the Gathering anthology Sci-Fi issue. I had written it for a different artist initially, and had been giving a ton of panel space for him to work in, so I feel pretty good about the edits. Managed to keep the same story, just compressed the panel count per page.

All of it needed to be done, but none of it really made me feel like a WRITER.
    the travis is a sweety.

Travis M. Holyfield

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravis! View Post
    Karen, you make me feel like a total slacker. Please tell me you don't have a day job in addition to your writing, or I am going to cry.
    Dude, no need to cry! Writing IS my day job - but only as of January. This is my 'one year to see if I can make it work' and... um... I certainly have a lot to keep me busy. I am totally broke half the time though, so watch this space. Unless things pick up I will be at least part time day-jobbing again next year.

Man, I did a lot of work today, but it's all the kind of work where I end up feeling like I did nothing.

---

I know exactly what you mean with this. But still, it IS work that needs doing and it's all PART of being a writer. Sounds like you got a hell of a lot done, to me!

* Final edits on the GN script and then off to the artist. It is now officially out of my hands.
    * Review of a four page anthology script before sending it to the editor for lettering.
    * Edited a five page script down to three pages for the Gathering anthology Sci-Fi issue. I had written it for a different artist initially, and had been giving a ton of panel space for him to work in, so I feel pretty good about the edits. Managed to keep the same story, just compressed the panel count per page.

You're not alone. I have this feeling constantly. I spent a couple hours trying to come up with a cool sounding synopsis and once I finished it felt like two hours wasted.

Matadors Curse: Matador is cursed with being the greatest fighter ever to live. He has no equal in or out of the ring. That is until the mysterious Lola arrives and captures his heart. She hates what he does and begs he quit. Without a thought Matador gives up the ring for her. The problem with being the greatest, there is ALWAYS someone who thinks that they are better.

Is it weird that every time I read it.... sounds more cliche? Hmm?

<--- wait for it

Quote Originally Posted by paul brian deberry View Post
    You're not alone. I have this feeling constantly. I spent a couple hours trying to come up with a cool sounding synopsis and once I finished it felt like two hours wasted.

Matadors Curse: Matador is cursed with being the greatest fighter ever to live. He has no equal in or out of the ring. That is until the mysterious Lola arrives and captures his heart. She hates what he does and begs he quit. Without a thought Matador gives up the ring for her. The problem with being the greatest, there is ALWAYS someone who thinks that they are better.

Is it weird that every time I read it.... sounds more cliche? Hmm?
    I was totally on board until the last sentence, which seems disconnected from the rest.
    the travis is a sweety.

Travis M. Holyfield

Hmm... maybe that's it.

<--- wait for it