Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice people always gave you which you always ignored... but now you don't

Wink Advice people always gave you which you always ignored... but now you don't

Can be a complex story about how you learned your lesson, folk wisdom often spouted at you which you've finally taken to heart, or just recommendations people always gave you which you never took seriously.

But now you've changed. Explain what, and why.

Re: Advice people always gave you which you always ignored... but now you don't

I'll start. For years people told me to get a crock pot and I scorned the idea. But now I love the damn thing. Toss the cheapest possible pork or beef shoulders or rump into it over a bed of vegetables and spices? Turn the dial. Come back 8 hours later. Eat for a week.

My husband is always pestering me to use the crock pot. I resist. Your story, however, just may have changed my mind.

das

Quote Originally Posted by dasNdanger View Post
    My husband is always pestering me to use the crock pot. I resist. Your story, however, just may have changed my mind.

das
    There's actually a little backstory. I have a friend who for the past few years has been getting seriously into doing his own slow smoking (in other words "real barbecue" vs. grilling and slapping sauce on). So I've been getting used to consuming really tender slow cooked meat.

I however, don't have a backyard. So we got to bullshitting about the alternatives and crock pots came up. Something various people had tried to sell me on for years, for "convenience" reasons. Which I didn't care about. But I did care about trying to get some approximation of what my friend had been producing.

The convenience reasons do exist, and are valid. The flip side of the convenience is how damn long it takes--but the convenience is the complete lack of effort needed to cook in it (aside from ingredients prep). And if you've ever felt worried about putting something in the oven and going out? Not an issue with a crock pot--there's pretty much zero risk. And of course there's the fact that its pretty much a rule that the cheaper the cut of meat, the better the result is in a crock pot. Its true as far as I've seen.

But its the end product which really justifies using one, not the convenience. Its certainly not even remotely the same taste as smoked meat, but its an interesting alternative. Pulled pork and brisket are a snap.

Exfoliate.

Because it is really important.
    I dress for the image. Not for myself, not for the public, not for fashion, not for men.
    -Marlene Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
    There's actually a little backstory. I have a friend who for the past few years has been getting seriously into doing his own slow smoking (in other words "real barbecue" vs. grilling and slapping sauce on). So I've been getting used to consuming really tender slow cooked meat.

I however, don't have a backyard. So we got to bullshitting about the alternatives and crock pots came up. Something various people had tried to sell me on for years, for "convenience" reasons. Which I didn't care about. But I did care about trying to get some approximation of what my friend had been producing.

The convenience reasons do exist, and are valid. The flip side of the convenience is how damn long it takes--but the convenience is the complete lack of effort needed to cook in it (aside from ingredients prep). And if you've ever felt worried about putting something in the oven and going out? Not an issue with a crock pot--there's pretty much zero risk. And of course there's the fact that its pretty much a rule that the cheaper the cut of meat, the better the result is in a crock pot. Its true as far as I've seen.

But its the end product which really justifies using one, not the convenience. Its certainly not even remotely the same taste as smoked meat, but its an interesting alternative. Pulled pork and brisket are a snap.
    Any decent recipes you'd like to share? I just have that little cookbook that comes with the machine, and usually end up just making the beef stew. I have no imagination when it comes to food.

das

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post

There are electric smokers available that can fit on your balcony and are very good. Not as good as real slow smoked meat, but a nice compromise between that and grilling, and very easy.
    Current Favorite DC Book: Calendar of Small Events
    Current Favorite Marvel Book: Hawkeye

Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    Exfoliate.

Because it is really important.
    Did you have a particular triggering event which drove home the importance of exfoliation to you?

(I sound like I'm being sarcastic here, but I'm not)

If you like pot roast, try whatever chunk of beef, a few carrots (or a bag of baby ones), some onion, couple cloves of garlic, fennel and/or celery if you have it, a can of v-8, possibly a spoonful of sugar (I use a packet of stevia), enough broth to cover the meat. Add potatoes in the last hour or two if you like those. Salt and pepper to taste. And some butter.

Edit: I also like sage in mine.

The reason cheap cuts are so good is that the slow cooking breaks down the connective tissue into gelatin, which hangs on to moisture from the cooking liquid.

I don't offer precise measurements because I never use them and you can't really fuck this up. Remember that the water level will initially rise, so keep an inch of space between the top of the liquid and the lid.

--

You could also make a fricot in there, just toss in whatever pieces of chicken, thyme, savory, butter, onions, celery, garlic, chicken broth, carrots if you like, then potatoes in the last hour or two. Could toss in a handful or two of rice or noodles or something in the last hour as well.

--

BBQ whatever works as well, or hoisin on chicken, etc.
    Last edited by Reverend Smooth; 08-20-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Treating my body as a temple. I always assumed the fact that I look much younger than I am and am always healty would carry me through in life. I was wrong.