KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Thread: "Orange County Race For The Cure" (Old man, running)

Grifter

"Orange County Race For The Cure" (Old man, running)

Thanks, Kelly Sue, for letting me use this venue to post this message and supporting me in this.

It seems that by the time a person reaches a certain age, confronting life-robbing breast cancer is inevitable. Whether it will touch a friend, wife, mother or other loved one or even yourself, it will likely affect you. Some of you reading this already have suffered losses of loved ones due to this disease while others have faced it personally and survived.

There's no need to remind you of the many strides in treatment and early detection that has taken place in recent times. These have not been made in a vacuum; they are due in no small part to an entire community of scientists, health care professionals and everyday people working together to find a cure.

I am not a scientist or doctor but I do want to contribute even a few minutes of my time to help. So, I'm gonna participate in a 5K run. Many of you don’t know me, some do, but let me just say that I'm not an athlete, on the far side of 50 and need to lose about 20 pounds. But I'm willing to suck some wind to participate in the Orange County Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

This is not such a big deal for a lot of folks, but I'm putting in some time to get in a good run to show that a sore knee and coughing up years of smog is but a small gesture to help in raising a few bucks to support this important work.

My wife, Susan, is also participating by walking in the 5K so that together we make up "Team Tyson" in an effort to raise our minimum combined goal of $1,000. We certainly know that each of you are bombarded on all sides to contribute time and money to a wide range of worthy causes, so anything you can do to help is appreciated beyond words.

Follow the link below to visit our web page and help us in our efforts to support an important cause.
    Team Tyson Race For The Cure

Once there, you'll notice that I'm going to do something very special for one of you who contributes. Check it out.

Also and perhaps more importantly, even if you can’t contribute, if you could provide me with a name of someone close to you that I can honor during my run, please forward that name to me or post on this thread. I’m putting all of the names on my running shirt to honor them with each step.

Thanks for reading this long winded post. Cheers.

~ Terry Tyson

P.S. I know a lot of you are social network heavyweights so even if you can't participate, spreading the word via twitter or facebook is appreciated. My twitter handle is @terrytyson. Thanks again, folks.

P.P.S. Thanks to my friends on this board who have already contributed. Love you, guys.

P.P.P.S. I will also share with one more person the secret to a card trick that blew Ed Brubaker's mind. I've given it to one person already but I'm willing to do it again from the names of all the contributors at the end of the fund raising drive. Bru actually howled when he saw this.

Grifter

Re: "Orange County Race For The Cure" (Old man, running)

Hey good peoples,

Really, no need to contribute to the race thing...BUT...

I'd appreciate some names of folks who I can honor during the race. Women who've faced the disease, currently battling it or maybe just someone of the female persuasion you'd like not to get breast cancer.

Post the names on this thread (even just first names and cities if that makes you comfortable) in the next few weeks. Kelly Sue said it would be ok! Hell, she and Matt already donated which made me very happy.

Thanks, kids.

Terry, I'm lucky enough to have not known anyone personally who's suffered from this horrible cancer. When I worked at the surgery clinic, we had many, many cases come through. I remember many of them, but not their names.

Grifter

The race was run. We exceeded the goal of raising over $1,000 so as promised, I ran said race in the pink tutu. My time was actually better than I thought it would be considering there were over 27,000 participants in the race. Kindava crazy for sure, but fun nonetheless. THANK YOU, everyone who donated to this most worthy cause. To prove to everyone that the tutu was worn, please find below photographic evidence of the old fat man, running. This was my post-race primal scream endorphin release.

I feel better now.

Again, thanks everyone.

Real Men Wear Pink by Terry.Tyson, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Terry.Tyson View Post
    The race was run. We exceeded the goal of raising over $1,000 so as promised, I ran said race in the pink tutu. My time was actually better than I thought it would be considering there were over 27,000 participants in the race. Kindava crazy for sure, but fun nonetheless. THANK YOU, everyone who donated to this most worthy cause. To prove to everyone that the tutu was worn, please find below photographic evidence of the old fat man, running. This was my post-race primal scream endorphin release.

I feel better now.

Again, thanks everyone.

Real Men Wear Pink by Terry.Tyson, on Flickr
    Terry Tyson, I could not possibly love you more. And then I do.

The Effing President TheTravis!'s Avatar

I want to be Terry when I grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    the travis is a sweety.

That is just... awesome. Love the photo. Love that you did this.

My mum has survived breast cancer (twice!), though it was a close thing the last time. My mum's best friend is currently battling. My partner's mother died of it many years ago (long before I met him).

Grifter

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravis! View Post
    I want to be Terry when I grow up.
    It's ok to get old, but just don't grow up.

Grifter

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mahoney View Post
    My mum has survived breast cancer (twice!), though it was a close thing the last time. My mum's best friend is currently battling. My partner's mother died of it many years ago (long before I met him).
    Thank you for sharing that. Sending comforting thoughts your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry.Tyson View Post
    Thank you for sharing that. Sending comforting thoughts your way.
    Thanks. And thank you for doing such a great thing and raising lots of money!