Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Didio can't think of any female creators he could possibly hire- let's fix that

Re: Dan Didio can't think of any female creators he could possibly hire- let's fix th

Quote Originally Posted by sapphoshands View Post
    Kate Beaton! Kaaaaate Beaton.
    http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=305 This, in ongoing form

Re: Dan Didio can't think of any female creators he could possibly hire- let's fix th

Dear DC,

I am available to fill your comics-drawing needs.

Love,

Karen
    Life's an elevator. It goes up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by ScandalSavage View Post
    You can't, of course, "send you stuff in."
    You could if you had a time machine, jumped in it, and traveled back to the early 70s, or whenever it was that they last accepted unsolicited submissions like that.

Wait. It's Morrison (the article says it was him not DiDio). Maybe he thinks everyone has a time machine, like he does.

Jen Van Meter isn't doing much, and I enjoyed her Liberty Belle back-up. She's doing stuff for Marvel, but it's mostly scattershot and I'm not sure if she's exclusive to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
    You could if you had a time machine, jumped in it, and traveled back to the early 70s, or whenever it was that they last accepted unsolicited submissions like that.

Wait. It's Morrison (the article says it was him not DiDio). Maybe he thinks everyone has a time machine, like he does.
    Morrision says, "send your stuff in" and Didio says, "there you go" as if that's the answer.

You can sorta send your stuff in at a con, but it's seriously unrealistic to think that hordes of women are gonna pay all that money to get tickets and all that, and even then I'm not sure how many artists are actually discovered at cons these days. At DC and Marvel, it seems that you have to have at least a few indie books under your belt before you get a shot on even minor characters.

Oh, and I totally think Becky Cloonan and Alitha Martinez should be gettingsome work at one of the Big 2.

Thumbs up No Joke: That Girl Can Draw

Quote Originally Posted by Karen El View Post
    Dear DC,

I am available to fill your comics-drawing needs.

Love,

Karen
    Karen,

Your work is great. Dig your art. Really enjoying it.

Cheers.
    http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_28668/subcat_78800/Thumbs/phantom_eagle-trimpe.bmp

Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerjock View Post
    You can sorta send your stuff in at a con, but it's seriously unrealistic to think that hordes of women are gonna pay all that money to get tickets and all that, and even then I'm not sure how many artists are actually discovered at cons these days. At DC and Marvel, it seems that you have to have at least a few indie books under your belt before you get a shot on even minor characters.

Oh, and I totally think Becky Cloonan and Alitha Martinez should be gettingsome work at one of the Big 2.
    I'd actually rather see Becky do less Big Two stuff, so long as she's getting paid.

I prefer to see her doing more indendent minded stuff, personally.

Crazy curious to see what she and Tony Lee have in mind for McGyver(!).

-BCM
    --------------------------------------------------
    The NEW BCM Blog (opinions and whimsy)
    Twitter!
    --------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerjock View Post
    Jen Van Meter isn't doing much, and I enjoyed her Liberty Belle back-up. She's doing stuff for Marvel, but it's mostly scattershot and I'm not sure if she's exclusive to them.
    Rucka doesn't seem to be on speaking terms with DC right now....maybe Van Meter went with him? (Just speculation.)

Lightbulb Dan Didio needs to think a little more deeply about his stated goals

Personally, I think that if Dan Didio has to ask if women want to write or draw superhero comics, he may be just a little out of touch with today's readership, and missing a massive opportunity to connect with a huge potential audience. If the number of women I see in my LCS, haunting the graphic fiction aisle at a large independent bookstore like Powell's, participating in a forum like this, or enjoying cosplay at a major con like SDCC is any indication, there's a huge untapped market of consumers, and a pretty big pool of potential creators that he's just ignoring.

Companies that ignore the female consumer and the female innovator in today's market do so at their own peril, and are really limiting themselves. As someone who has sat through hundreds, if not thousands of marketing and sales meetings for a world-renowned fitness apparel and footwear company, demand creation and market transformation are necessary strategies for any company expecting to survive, prosper, flourish and grow in the global economy.

Sorry to hear that they're so short-sighted not to realize this, that they don't have a marketing team to tell them this, and that they don't have a better media relations team to help coach them on exactly what NOT to say. It's not bad enough that they're alienating the female readership that they already have, now it sounds like they are actively engaged in insulting any that remain.

Also, if she had the time and the inclination, Carla Speed McNeil is exactly the kind of creator they should be courting. I would think they should have someone in charge of talent development, and I would also think that person should be going out of her way to find and employ female creators. Or doesn't the success and fan-love for Gail Simone, Marjorie Liu, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Amanda Conner and a slew of other women interest them in the least? Especially as a publisher who claims to be looking to increase their market share and bring in new readers.
    http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_28668/subcat_78800/Thumbs/phantom_eagle-trimpe.bmp