KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: High/Low

Re: High/Low

High: Went to the Mashpee Wampanoag Pow-Wow and found it both fun and educational. Got some beautiful jewelry and had some delicious sassafras tea at the food stalls. The regalia on some people was incredible (Why must I be Scots and German? Kilts and lederhosen are dorky and boring )

Lows: I'm behind on several blog posts I wanted to do days ago. I just remembered about Machine of Death 2 submissions (due July 15), and I still need to finish reading the first volume to make sure no one already had my idea, not to mention start writing it. And a few days ago I dropped my primary laptop and it stopped working almost entirely. I have my netbook, and most of the files backed up on my external HD, but there's enough that wasn't backed-up to make me very upset about the probability that it's broken for good.
    My Blog: Ladies Making Comics
    My History Nerdery: Women in Comics Wiki

High: Managed to get through a review of Our Love Is Real-- which is a difficult comic to actually review without going to the "hey, look, unspeakable and illegal sex acts!" place and just staying there the entire time. Made it to yoga on a regular basis. Got with my sysadmin and did a bunch of site updates without killing anything. Bought new BDUs, an Invisible Woman Future Foundation shirt, and some awesome antler barrettes for Comic-Con.

Low: Current psychological aspects of my wacky inconvenience are... getting handled better than they have been in the past, but this week has been a big heap of "you're not quite sorted yet." Completely bonked in yoga Saturday morning and ended up hobbling for two days on a reluctant left calf muscle. Have discovered that website analytics dick-waving discussions give me heebie-jeebies somewhat suggestive of my heebie-jeebies around open discussion of hard numbers in weight-loss contexts.

(Am always going to be wedged in that tiny, hard-to-see gap between "throwing out a review in desperation as soon as the book comes out of the bag, or else" and "writing 20-page research journal articles." It's appealing in its way, but then you turn around to face your friends' "I got 50,000+ pageviews in three weeks!" and cringe.)

Wow. Today was a good day with a very minor low to speak of.

High(s): Got to sleep in late (rare). Had coffee with a good friend and good conversation. Got a pretty new dress, bought Game of Thrones and got 3 months worth of free contacts from a nice girl at Lens Crafters. Had dinner, drinks and played a board game with some friends of my boyfriend. Normally, the last part wouldn't be as fun for me, but it turned out well.

Low: The place we got drinks from got a new bartender and my Old Fashioned was watered down as hell and barely recognizable.

High: I managed to drink a bottle of wine.

Low: there is no more alcohol in the house.

HIGH: I finally decided to go get counseling

LOW: I told my mother I was planning on getting counseling. She proceeded to launch into the exact same kind of overbearing-ness and infantilizing of me that is part of the reason I need counseling. She is not good with her own stress levels in times of crisis, and for her youngest daughter to admit to borderline depression (when she and my dad "do so much for me") is stretching her to her limits, which irks me because it's like she's making my problem all about her, even though I know it's just her way of expressing concern.

Grifter

Quote Originally Posted by LexiD523 View Post
    HIGH: I finally decided to go get counseling.
    Never a bad decision as far as I'm concerned. Have found that a learned ear is helpful now and again.

Also, it seems that even though mom bugs you, you understand where she is coming from. That insight will continue to be helpful, me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry.Tyson View Post
    Also, it seems that even though mom bugs you, you understand where she is coming from. That insight will continue to be helpful, me thinks.
    I do try to understand her, even when she drives me crazy. I know I could have done a lot worse in the mother department, but there is still some serious history between us that I have yet to truly contend with-- and like I said, that's only part of my troubles There are plenty that have nothing to with her...

Quote Originally Posted by LexiD523 View Post
    HIGH: I finally decided to go get counseling

LOW: I told my mother I was planning on getting counseling. She proceeded to launch into the exact same kind of overbearing-ness and infantilizing of me that is part of the reason I need counseling. She is not good with her own stress levels in times of crisis, and for her youngest daughter to admit to borderline depression (when she and my dad "do so much for me") is stretching her to her limits, which irks me because it's like she's making my problem all about her, even though I know it's just her way of expressing concern.
    Oh, god. I've been there. Expect her at some point to ask, "you don't talk about me, do you?"

My mom is not allowed to discuss my mental health with me; she is entitled to the info I provide, but that doesn't give her a license to try to debate that info.

I'm well past legal majority, though; it is much easier to enforce limits with financial independence.

(Also the youngest daughter. Family genetics are full of various types of neurological batshittery. It took science a long time to catch up with me and devise a working approach.)

High: I'm eating chocolate.

Low: I haven't done anything productive lately.