KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: High/Low

High/Low

This is a game we play around the dinner table to trick our children into talking to us. We go around the circle round-robin style and say what the high point of our day was and what the low point was.

I'll go first:

HIGH: Tie: A) 3 Chicks Review Comics had very nice things to say about Supergirl 65 and my work in general; and B) I finished a short story that I really enjoyed writing.
    LOW: Tie: A) Some charmer on Facebook said, like, "Congratulations! You deserve it!" and then proceeded to insult the women who do the podcast. So, you know, that sucked; and B) When I woke HL up at 1am to give him his pain meds he FLIPPED OUT. Poor baby boy. I *think* he was still asleep, but it was horrible. And loud. And heartbreaking.

Your turn.

Re: High/Low

HIGH: heading back to the Dwell on Design show last night to pick up the awesome stamped steel/powder coated deer head w/ antlers hat rack we'd bought the day before, followed by FINALLY getting out to see Super 8. I was a little worried at how derivative of E.T. it might be, or worse, just 'Cloverfield with E.T.', but Abrams managed to pull something of his very own out of his own homage and sentimentality. Good times.

LOW: Stuck working the late shift until Wednesday while a coworker is on vacation. Messing with my sleep schedule and making me have to send Janice off to see Neil Gaiman without me tomorrow night. Alas, alack. I'm leaving them high and dry for SDCC next month, so all's fair. Still sucks.

KS: My occasional sleep paralysis has much sympathy for the poor boy. Hope he's recovering ok.

HIGH: One hour of yoga, second week back after surgery, not dead yet. (Dear left leg: behave.) Terribly bemused that my yoga role models are Amanda Palmer and, uh, The Rock (TEAM BRING IT!!!!!!! YEEEEEAAAAH).

LOW: Chad has to miss Neil Gaiman tomorrow night because of his crappy work schedule. Still working out some medical issues around daytime sleepiness; they should let up this week, though.

High: Working out that by using certain colours and a certain filter in Instagram, I can produce a pretty decent 'inked' look. Just have to work out how to replicate it.

Low: Ladyfriend has the flu and is homesick for her hometown/family/friends because of it. But I made her soup, so that's good.

Grifter

(Gonna catch upwith the high/low. Already posted some of this on twitter)

Recent Highs
    Selected to speak to the general assembly at a work-related conference in a few months.
    Restarted working on a booklet/long essay on mentalism that has lanquished for a long time.
    Restarted working on a handbound book project for the son of a friend.

Lows
    Realised the mentalism piece is really terrible. May require a major rewrite.
    Working way too long during the day. Taking its toll on the mind, body and spirit.

Okay, got that off my chest, I can now start anew!

HIGH: The kid mentioned below was totally into "The Wrong Planet" exercise from Drawing Words, Writing Pictures after a rough morning.

LOW: I made some suggestions to a kid and almost made him cry.
    "Some guy on the net thinks I suck and he should know; he's got his own blog." -- Nick Hornby

HIGH: Yoga. Again tomorrow.

LOW: My neighbor's dog dug up part of the flower garden that I planted only two days ago AND destroyed an ornament in it that cannot be replaced and held a lot of sentimental value to me... all because the bastards refuse to monitor their dog.
    (they just recently moved in. apparently i gave them too much credit.)

HIGH: Improbable Very Special Episode hijinks at the Neil Gaiman reading. (The guys sitting next to me apparently pregamed and then continued to get trashed until one of them passed out. His buddy then helpfully ditched him. Who *does this* at a Gaiman reading? I know there's been some concern over False Geeks lately, but really?)

On the upside, I ran into some Friends of House DeFraction and we squealed about Emma Rios and how great her work is. Because Emma Rios is great.

LOW: I've been socially on all night-- including dealing with paramedics and ushers to get unconscious guy sorted-- and I have Introvert Headache.

(Yes, you can annoy the hell out of me, disrupt my appreciation of an event, and I still won't leave you passed out in an uncertain state in an unfamiliar environment. I'll even check up on you with the EMTs. I might be getting soft in my old age.)

HIGH: One of my best friends came over to eat Chinese and watch Daria, and in the process of the evening's conversation, I showed her the new Captain America trailer, which took her from "not interested in the slightest" to "OMG WHEN DOES THIS COME OUT?!" Also, we talked a little bit about the new X-Men movie, and she got really interested in my Magneto: Testament hardcover (though I was an idiot and forgot to give it to her when she left)

LOW: Not really just yesterday, but a few days ago another friend took me out for drinks and a "you've been a bit of a bitch lately" intervention (she of course put it much more nicely than that but that was the jist), and I've been mulling it over ever since--which means thinking about the stressors that have led to me being a bit of a bitch, including the fact that I miss my ex (though breaking up was really the best decision) and being pissed off that he cut off all contact afterwards, so closure is hard to come by. And I'm such an avoidant person that it's like pulling my own teeth to force myself to do the even slightly difficult things I could do to relieve some of the stress. LOL one big ball of neuroses
    My Blog: Ladies Making Comics
    My History Nerdery: Women in Comics Wiki

High: Despite staying up until 3am and waking up at noon with my headache still intact, I did make it to yoga, called my folks, went for comics, and got things done.

(Do we need an exercise thread? I know KS does yoga and runs, sans serif has mentioned yoga, Wedge bikes, Terry hikes...)

Low: Stupid goddamn headache. My migraines are well-controlled; this is probably TMJ. Need to chat up my neurologist next month. (The state of the art in migraine science these days? Pretty awesome. TMJ, still evolving.)