KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GTD for Creatives

Re: GTD for Creatives

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Sue View Post
    I do use Macs. I used to use a program called THINKING ROCK, which I'm almost 100% certain is also available for PCs. It's been a long time, but it essentially did what OMNIFOCUS does, in a different format.
    So, I'm looking through some of the tutorials on Thinking Rock and it could be just what I need. I almost jumped out of my seat when I saw you can also download emails from Gmail via the interface...

Seriously, thanks for this.

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravis! View Post
    I read the bolded as "Though that could just be because I'm a Gremlin."

I need to get more sleep.
    Haha!! Well... I could be one of those, too. I am often eating after midnight, so it would explain a lot!

Kaz (someone else who clearly needs more sleep)

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mahoney View Post
    So, I'm looking through some of the tutorials on Thinking Rock and it could be just what I need. I almost jumped out of my seat when I saw you can also download emails from Gmail via the interface...

Seriously, thanks for this.

Kaz
    Oh good! Fingers: crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Sue View Post
    I've tried using Evernote a couple of times. I think I get it more in philosophy than I do in actual... mechanics. Like, I think I'm using the interface incorrectly? I find it to be incredibly cumbersome to actually input anything. I want to just highlight and click, the way I can with Omnifocus.
    It may have been long enough since you've used it that they've implemented a lot of new features. They have a plug in for every major browser so you can clip an entire page or just a selection, by clicking a button in the nav bar or by right clicking (or two finger clicking, mac-style). There's a plugin icon in the top navigation bar, and there's the stand alone program. I find the app really easy to use, and it almost makes me want an iPad just for Evernote. In other words, my ability to highlight and click is exactly why I ended up adopting it.

Personal Brain is another one that I've played with, that oddly enough has just joined up with David Allen. They have a resource page where he demonstrates how he uses PB to implement GTD.

http://www.thebrain.com/products/per...more-done/gtd/
    Last edited by Sean McArdle; 08-18-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Man, I wish I could LIKE or promote a post, McArdle. This is fantastic.

Have you checked out Merlin Mann's 43 Folders site? I don't know who Seth Godin is, but I'm going to find out...

Quote Originally Posted by sean mcardle View Post
    it may have been long enough since you've used it that they've implemented a lot of new features. They have a plug in for every major browser so you can clip an entire page or just a selection, by clicking a button in the nav bar or by right clicking (or two finger clicking, mac-style). There's a plugin icon in the top navigation bar, and there's the stand alone program. I find the app really easy to use, and it almost makes me want an ipad just for evernote. In other words, my ability to highlight and click is exactly why i ended up adopting it.

Personal brain is another one that i've played with, that oddly enough has just joined up with david allen. They have a resource page where he demonstrates how he uses pb to implement gtd.

http://www.thebrain.com/products/per...more-done/gtd/
    what happened to the rest of your post?!

Did I lose part of it? I went back and edited the Quote tag, I didn't think I deleted anything....

While I'm singing the praises of Evernote, I just now saw that they bought Skitch, which till now was $20 in the App store and now is free:

http://blog.evernote.com/2011/08/18/...-evernote_etc/

Also, I find the Evernote blog really helpful. They have case studies where they profile how different people implement the program, from business owners to writers to whatever. I find a lot more insight in these studies than anything else they have to say about it. It was a friend's blog post where he explained how he used it that convinced me to give it a try.

I LOVE me some Seth Godin: http://www.sethgodin.com/sg/

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McArdle View Post
    Did I lose part of it? I went back and edited the Quote tag, I didn't think I deleted anything....

While I'm singing the praises of Evernote, I just now saw that they bought Skitch, which till now was $20 in the App store and now is free:

http://blog.evernote.com/2011/08/18/...-evernote_etc/

Also, I find the Evernote blog really helpful. They have case studies where they profile how different people implement the program, from business owners to writers to whatever. I find a lot more insight in these studies than anything else they have to say about it. It was a friend's blog post where he explained how he used it that convinced me to give it a try.

I LOVE me some Seth Godin: http://www.sethgodin.com/sg/
    Yeah, I no longer see the list of tools you use at all. Just your reply about Evernote.

Watching Godin's Ted Talk about sliced bread as I clean my office right now.

And found the Evernote button for my browser--hoping this will make all the difference for me.

Thanks, man.

You mean this? It was an earlier post in the thread. Godin is doing this thing with Amazon called the Domino Project, where authors are releasing books exclusively digitally as Kindle editions. I picked up one of his and it was a great kick in the pants motivator.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McArdle View Post
    Missed you too, KS.

I've been on a productivity quest lately myself, so it's timely that I saw and latched on to your blog post. This whole being my own boss thing is great, but time management is a bear. Lately I've been trying out a variety of tools, with some success. Here's what I use:

Whiteboard: By far my favorite. I don't know what the hell I did without it. I found a huge one on craigslist for cheap and it's the best investment I've made in years. I've got it on the wall in my office and I have it divided up into three vertical spaces: To Do lists, work space, calendar. It generally keeps me focused on the tasks at hand, gives me an instant space to record random ideas quickly, and shows me my general schedule at a glance. I use the iPhone camera to archive the workspace before erasing once I'm done with something. And to archive those images I use....

Evernote: I LOVE EVERNOTE. I've been using it for a couple of months now and I use it for practically everything, and I find new uses for it all the time. I've been able to consolidate all of the random methods I've used over the years to record ideas into a single format. Old sticky notes, journal pages, sketches, iPhone notes, emails, bookmarks, it all goes into Evernote. I also use it exclusively for note taking if I'm using the iPhone, because you can use text, multiple images, or audio. I paid the $45 for the premium membership right away because I blew past the free bandwidth allotment the first day. I need to get on the stick and remember to organize the data I have in there more regularly, but as a general rule it's been a godsend.

Legal pads: I always have a couple hanging around to capture ideas.

Leatherbound Moleskine-style journals: I usually bring these to meetings to jot notes because I can write faster than I can type, and usually end up sketching as part of my note taking.

Hanging files: I've got years of old files moldering in boxes. I've started the process of organizing them into files with some success. But oftentimes I end up using the phone to scan stuff into Evernote. Chances are It'll end up being more useful there, but it's nice to have the physical archive as well.

The next thing I need to focus on is managing my time more effectively, something which as a rule I'm dreadful at. Put a project with a timeline in front of me and I'm fine, that's a skill that theater drums into you early and often. That audience is a'coming whether you're ready or not. I've also realized how dependent I was on the structure inherent in working for an institution. Having a ton of people around you working towards the same goal means that a certain amount of planning is done for you. Also, I find it's easier for me to manage a team of people working for me than it is to manage my own time. So now that i'm mostly working solo, tim management is the monkey on my back, and that's where I'm looking for tools to help. I've been on a GTD/David Allen binge today thanks to you, and found a bunch of great stuff. For inspiration I've been reading a lot of Seth Godin over the past couple of months. But I need some practical tools for the day to day processing of information, and I think GTD is going to help. I too thought about Omni-focus, but good lord that thing has a large price tag.

Thanks for this kick in the butt, KS, I needed it. Just writing this was a helpful exercise.

Wow... I... I cannot explain what just happened in my brain w/r/t this thread. I think I must've missed your post the first time, then saw it and replied to it thinking it was at the bottom of the last page, when it was at the bottom of the first.

I dunno.

Anyway.

I got Steven Pressfield's latest as part of that same project, I think. Do you know his stuff? The War of Art is a favorite of mine.