KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GTD for Creatives

Re: GTD for Creatives

Oh yeah, and I downloaded Day One, for both my MBP and the iPhone. I'd been using a Moleskine to journal, but I think this is going to be far more effective.

I think I might hang out on this thread in the hope of picking up some tips by osmosis. Or something.

I have read DA's GTD book and it scared me. I'm so bad at working in any kind of organised way, and yet my deadlines are increasing & the number of different projects at different stages of development do make me panic a little... I keep trying different systems and schedules, but so far I've not hit on something I can really stick with.

(Though that could just be because I'm a Gemini.)

Kaz

Just a quick note to Karen - GTD *is* terrifying, but that doesn't mean there aren't things from it that are worth trying out.

Not being able to do the whole thing doesn't mean you can't use some of it.

I've never made it to a full GTD implementation, but I use the filing system (physically - need to worm on an electronic counterpart) and 'ubiquitous capture' (I carry a notepad and pen with me at all times so if I have an idea I can jot it down).

More soon on this, as I've seen some cool stuff recently.

N

Nick, thanks for this. I have actually been trying to do something similar - only the last few days, but I found some cool stuff online about people who use GTD filing systems with Moleskine (and other) physical notebooks. I do love my Moleskines, so maybe this could be a step in the right direction.

I look forward to seeing if you post more!

Cheers,
    Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by nickellis View Post
    (physically - need to worm on an electronic counterpart)
    I can't recommend Evernote enough. I had it forever and didn't use it, and then a friend explained to me how he was using it and something clicked. It's the perfect receptacle for everything, it's exactly the tool that GTD seems to describe. I can get all of the crap out of my head, dump it in there, and find it again when I need it. I love it to the point where I probably sound like a company shill, but the fact is I just love it that much sand find it that useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McArdle View Post
    I can't recommend Evernote enough.
    Sorry to jump in on your reply to Nick but this sounds like something I should be trying, too... Thanks for the rec.

I've tried using Evernote a couple of times. I think I get it more in philosophy than I do in actual... mechanics. Like, I think I'm using the interface incorrectly? I find it to be incredibly cumbersome to actually input anything. I want to just highlight and click, the way I can with Omnifocus.

Kelly Sue, you use Macs don't you? Probably Omnifocus is something for Macs, but I should really just go Google that...

I am really stuggling to find a good working practice for myself. I have multiple deadlines with multiple publishers for my novels - along with a few other projects. I'm sure I don't have too much to do, it's just a matter of finding the right method for organising myself. Um... I hope!

The Effing President TheTravis!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mahoney View Post
    I think I might hang out on this thread in the hope of picking up some tips by osmosis. Or something.

I have read DA's GTD book and it scared me. I'm so bad at working in any kind of organised way, and yet my deadlines are increasing & the number of different projects at different stages of development do make me panic a little... I keep trying different systems and schedules, but so far I've not hit on something I can really stick with.

(Though that could just be because I'm a Gemini.)
    Kaz
    I read the bolded as "Though that could just be because I'm a Gremlin."

I need to get more sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    the travis is a sweety.

Travis M. Holyfield
    http://www.travismholyfield.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mahoney View Post
    Kelly Sue, you use Macs don't you? Probably Omnifocus is something for Macs, but I should really just go Google that...

I am really stuggling to find a good working practice for myself. I have multiple deadlines with multiple publishers for my novels - along with a few other projects. I'm sure I don't have too much to do, it's just a matter of finding the right method for organising myself. Um... I hope!
    I do use Macs. I used to use a program called THINKING ROCK, which I'm almost 100% certain is also available for PCs. It's been a long time, but it essentially did what OMNIFOCUS does, in a different format.