KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eating Healthy

Grifter

Re: Eating Healthy

Since I've got a meat grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid, I often make my own ground meats and sausage. Tonight made grilled chicken burgers from skinned, boneless breasts. I made this burger recipe up as I went and it turned out very nice. Making some informed guesses as to the amounts of the ingredients, but this seems close.

Two skinned boneless chicken half-breasts = 1 - 1 1/2 pound of ground chicken
    1/3 cup finely diced onion
    1/3 cup finely diced red pepper
    1/4 cup Worcester sauce
    1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    dash or two of onion powder
    salt and pepper to your own taste

Divide into four patties. Grill or saute as desired until done. I generally take grilling meat off of the fire about a minute or two before they're done and place it in a covered dish to finish cooking. In this instance the patties were grilled about 4 minutes a side. Also, when grilling I start with a super hot grill and then back off the flame after placing the meat on the grates.

I calculate these to be about 4 points on the old WW system, about 4 ounces of cooked chicken per patty.

Grifter

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Sue View Post
    Also picked up these. Not the same thing as garlic scapes. Produce guy said to prepare them as if they were asparagus. Will report back if anyone's interested.
    KS, what are they and how did they turn out?

Grifter

Quote Originally Posted by ardaniel View Post
    Kalamata olive National Loaf: partial success? It's tasty but I think it needs something besides just olives in.
    Since it's a savory taste you're going for, maybe some onion and/or sun dried tomato?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry.Tyson View Post
    Since it's a savory taste you're going for, maybe some onion and/or sun dried tomato?
    I just had some with a quick dip of olive oil, salt, and fresh ground pepper, and it was quite nice. The tomato might be a good idea, but the olives made for a *very* wet dough. Need to adjust a bit for that, plus possibly a light egg wash with a touch of salt on top before baking.

Grifter

Quote Originally Posted by wedge View Post
    a light egg wash with a touch of salt on top before baking.
    YES, that would totally work. Hey...maybe mix the olives, green and ripe both in the same loaf? The sun dried tomatoes would add a nice aesthetic to it as well. Gotta try this soon.

I'm not a healthy eater. A favorite meal for me would be a huge burger, chicken wings, BBQ spare ribs, potatoes and beer. Are there any transitional foods out there?
    "Some guy on the net thinks I suck and he should know; he's got his own blog." -- Nick Hornby

Grifter

Quote Originally Posted by costello View Post
    I'm not a healthy eater. A favorite meal for me would be a huge burger, chicken wings, BBQ spare ribs, potatoes and beer. Are there any transitional foods out there?
    A smaller burger with some vegetables on the side.

Totally serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry.Tyson

A smaller burger with some vegetables on the side.

Totally serious.
    And I thank you for it. Basically I have 30 years of bad eating habits. It's silly but I overlook the painfully obvious, plus I grew up on canned vegetables. Ugh.
    "Some guy on the net thinks I suck and he should know; he's got his own blog." -- Nick Hornby

Grifter

Quote Originally Posted by costello View Post
    And I thank you for it. Basically I have 30 years of bad eating habits. It's silly but I overlook the painfully obvious, plus I grew up on canned vegetables. Ugh.
    I battle with my weight constantly and have learned that smaller portions of proteins and starch coupled with larger portions of vegetables is key to healthier eating and weight control. It's one of those basic, foundational things you learn in Weight Watchers. Increasing veggies is key to it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry.Tyson View Post
    KS, what are they and how did they turn out?
    Garlic spears and they were wonderful. Roasted them with olive oil and salt. Such a hit I bought a second batch the next day.