KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eating Healthy

Eating Healthy

Never fear, I'll start the eating healthy thread!

This is something I've been directing my nerd brain at recently. There's no shortage of science or information out there on the topic. But it is often contradictory and confusing, and people tend to get really invested in their perspectives.

Anyway, I'd be nice to break these things down into practical steps with rational people.

I follow Eat This, Not That on Twitter. Some articles are a little odd but mostly I find it useful.

This article in particular I found to be very straightforward and reasonable: 8 Foods You Should Eat Every Day.

Walnuts have been a revelation for me. Great for a mid-day hunger killer/energy boost.

Re: Eating Healthy

Moderation remains my biggest challenge. In all things, really. Nuts are great for me, but not in the quantities I tend to consume them.

Did you watch that 'sugar is a toxin' lecture on YouTube? The one that was covered in the NYTimes recently?

Okay, I'm making the kale recipe from the first page of that 8 Foods link right now.

Yeah I'm a snacker too. I got plain walnuts. They're fine, but I'm not a huge walnut fan and without the salt and such I don't find it very tempting to go overboard.

That sugar doc scares me. Part of me is scared that they're right (I have a massive sweet tooth). Another part of me is wary that it's just another attention grabbing health headline and/or example of silver bullet science, trying to present a solution to the obesity problem in one frightening concept.

(The only silver bullet summation that makes a lot of sense to me is "Eat food, mostly plants, not too much." But I'm a long way from that utopia.)

Please do let us know how the kale is, it looks easy enough for me to give it a go.

Is "Eat This, Not That" worth the buy? I think it could help me a lot when I'm going out to eat, since I tend to gravitate toward the unhealthy stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Shel Silverstein
    Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    My Mind's Eye

I've been enjoying the heck out of Greek Yogurt. Lots of protein, no fat.

They recommend buying the plain and adding your own fruit, but that's not always convenient, plus Chobain uses some really good fruit: pomegranate, pineapple, mango...I actually love the vanilla too.

I think when I get some good blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, or rasberries I'll go the plain route and see what I think. Supposed to be less sugar/carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by samhumphries
    (The only silver bullet summation that makes a lot of sense to me is "Eat food, mostly plants, not too much." But I'm a long way from that utopia.)

Please do let us know how the kale is, it looks easy enough for me to give it a go.
    I love Michael Pollan. Did you read that book? The only one of his I've read is The Omnivore's Dilemma.

The kale was tasty. (Full disclosure: we eat a lot of greens--kale, frequently--so it wasn't a stretch. If greens are not your thing, this isn't going to change your life. )

Quote Originally Posted by dEnny!
    I've been enjoying the heck out of Greek Yogurt. Lots of protein, no fat.

They recommend buying the plain and adding your own fruit, but that's not always convenient, plus Chobain uses some really good fruit: pomegranate, pineapple, mango...I actually love the vanilla too.

I think when I get some good blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, or rasberries I'll go the plain route and see what I think. Supposed to be less sugar/carbs.
    I like the plain with a stevia packet, nuts and Uncle Sam cereal mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by michealdark View Post
    Is "Eat This, Not That" worth the buy? I think it could help me a lot when I'm going out to eat, since I tend to gravitate toward the unhealthy stuff
    Haven't read the book, so not sure I can recommend it. The Twitter feed and the site seem to have plenty of information however.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Sue View Post
    I love Michael Pollan. Did you read that book? The only one of his I've read is The Omnivore's Dilemma.

The kale was tasty. (Full disclosure: we eat a lot of greens--kale, frequently--so it wasn't a stretch. If greens are not your thing, this isn't going to change your life. )
    Never read Pollan but I hear great things about the Omnivore's Dilemma.

I'm not big on greens but I'm trying!