BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 148 of 168 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1676

Thread: DC COMICS relaunching their line with #1s, going Day & Date Digital in September

Re: DC COMICS relaunching their line with #1s, going Day & Date Digital in September

I was surprised by the percentage of high quaity books among the ones I've read. My favorite so far is Animal Man. I have and will read them all, but I've read five so far and only didn't like 1.

Re: DC COMICS relaunching their line with #1s, going Day & Date Digital in September

Here is what I got this week from DC:

Action Comics #1
    Animal Man #1
    Batgirl #1
    Detective Comics #1
    Green Arrow #1
    Hawk and Dove #1
    Justice League International #1
    Men of War #1
    Static Shock #1
    Stormwatch #1
    Swamp Thing #1

Of that list, Hawk and Dove and Men of War are probably going to get dropped quickly. #2 will probably tell the tale on those and I'm not looking forward to reading their next issues.

Now then, for the rest:

Action Comics actually surprised me. I went into it with lowered expectations and I was charmed. If Morrison and Morales can keep up the high quality, it's going to be a humongous hit.

Animal Man is another that surprised me. It's going to be tough to beat the Morrison version, but dammit it's possible. Jeff Lemire's stock is rising FAST.

Batgirl was good, not great. I'll give Gail quite a few issues though.

Detective Comics was delightfully surreal and shocking. Tony Daniel has finally upped his game.

Green Arrow was fun. I like the new take. Even if it's probably "movie Iron Man-lite".

Justice League International was also fun. Plus I'm a huge Booster Gold fan. This is not the "bwa-ha-ha" JLI thankfully!

Static Shock is on the cusp. Not as bad as Hawk and Dove, but it was close. I'm giving it the first story arc and then I'll re-evaluate. Having Scott McDaniel on the book is not enough for me though.

Stormwatch was meh, but I am still intrigued. Also sticking around for one story and then we'll see.

Swamp Thing was one I expected to not like. "My" Swampy is the original creation. And, dammit, Scott Snyder is pulling that in as well as some of the Alan Moore stuff. Not entirely hooked, but darn close!

Overall, some really good stuff, some "eh" stuff, and some fucking horrible stuff. But the really good stuff is in the majority!
    The floggings will continue until morale improves. ~ anonymous

10 DC Titles break the 100k mark

The first 3 weeks of launches SOLD OUT

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-t....com+comics%29
    http://www.grayhavencomics.com/
    "A wonderful anthology full of exciting new talents. BUY THIS BOOK!"- GAIL SIMONE

http://www.grayhavencomics.com

http://twitter.com/#!/GatheringComic

Quote Originally Posted by artimoff View Post
    It's Stormwatch, people.
    Heh, I honestly had no idea.

GODFATHER

Quote Originally Posted by artimoff View Post
    It's Stormwatch, people.
    DC can call it whatever they want, but it sure does look a whole lot like THE AUTHORITY.

Quote Originally Posted by Greygor View Post
    Interesting thoughts, I haven't read all the ones you have but here's my 2 cents

Spoiler:

Animal Man - My favourite books so far, genuinely creepy. As to mullets, oh yes they exist, certainly over here. As to living in the suburbs w/o protection, I didn't think of that while reading, but I am now. Maybe it will be addressed at some point. After Vertigo i seem to remember the JLA installing security equipment, but I don't remember the same thing during Morrison's run. After saying that prior to re-boot I think his identity was secret. maybe he doesn't get attacked at home for the same reason that cops generally don't in the present day, the retribution would be too great to risk.

Detective Comics - I really liked this, they've re-established the Year one relationship with the cops. Not sure of the time setting though, is this in the past or current. I need to re-read again. The cops seemed to be treating him as a villain hence the fight.

Action Comics - I also need to read this again, I'm interested enough to see where Grant takes it. it would have been a much better book to launch the re-boot IMO.

Batgirl - Liked it, I want to see what Gail does with it. yes the ending does seem odd, if I was the cop I'd be blasting the villain first unless of course the cop as an issue with vigilantes.

JLI - not as good as the Retro JLI one shot they released. Seemed very same-all same-all

The Authority - Should have either been released on 28th September or not referenced another comic. A first issue should stand on it's own. Like you I like Authority and Cornell, but this didn't work. however i will give him a chance.

Swamp Thing - I actually liked the talkiness and the issue had Moore like elements to it. I want to see where this goes as well. plus the art was great.

Animal Man- Oh we have mullets too. Its still just shameful. Yeah I think you're right about the old Animal Man having built in security. I think this reboot is confusing on what is and isn't true anymore. I feel like Joker would go skin Animal Man's kids just for funsies, retribution or no.

Detective Comics- Yeah they were treating him like a villain. My issue was that instead of him just leaving and letting the cops save the girl, he gets into a fist fight that he seemingly could have avoided. Not a big deal, just not how I'm used to seeing Batman.

Action Comics- I've liked this more upon re-reading. I still wanna punch Lois and Jimmy in their faces.

Batgirl- I think it concentrated too much on her walking again and not enough on who she was as a person, her reason for being Batgirl, and why I should care. I think this was an example of this being a very very soft reboot. Plus I'm very super biased against characters that share their gimmick with someone else- Oracle being a wheelchair bound ex-heroine who helps superheroes is interesting to me. Batman, with a C-Cup, isn't.

JLI- Yeah it was just eh.

Stormwatch- I was already prejudiced against adding the Wildstorm U into the DCU. This was just a mess to me. Lots of characters that we don't learn anything about standing around talking.

Swamp Thing- I liked it okay, it just felt so short and didn't give me a sense of what this book is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Simone View Post
    I really, really dug Demon Knights. I hope you guys try it. And I, Vampire was SO much gooder than I expected.

Some of the new books didn't really speak to me (I haven't read them all, yet), but I've got a bunch I'm already really fond of.
    I, Vampire is a great first issue. Fialkov knocked it out of the park. Really looking forward to reading Demon Knights.

Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    DC can call it whatever they want, but it sure does look a whole lot like THE AUTHORITY.
    It's really a mix of both Stormwatch and Authority, really. But Stormthority probably wouldn't make much sense as a title.

The Authority was all about widescreen the next threat will be bigger than the last action. Stormwatch was more of a police authority over the planet, which is what we are seeing here, with things like the Bleed and SkyWatch coming together.

It's just missing a Weatherman.

Yeah I'm pumped for I,Vampire Demon Knights and JLDark.

Now I will say this for DC and the new 52.

I saw a commercial for comicbooks on television.

Its always baffled me why two companies now backed by Warner Brothers and Disney never ever advertise comicbooks, even during movies they themselves made.

Stormwatch also needs a Fuji to have an orgasm every five minutes.