BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Expensive Piece of American Comic Art Ever Sold

Most Expensive Piece of American Comic Art Ever Sold

$448,125

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/...nsive-piece-of

This is the single most valuable piece of American comic art ever to sell. The original art from Page 10, issue #3 of Frank Miller and Klaus Janson’s Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (DC, 1986) was recently brought for $448,125 as part of Heritage Auctions’ May 5 Vintage Comics and Comic Art Auction.

“Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns defined the best of 1980s comics, and has since been universally acknowledged as one of the most important and influential stories ever published ,” said Ed Jaster, Senior Vice President of Heritage Auctions, “and no image from that important comic series is more iconic than this Splash Page. It’s a little surprising, yes, but fitting that this piece is now the most expensive piece of American comic art ever sold at auction.”

"I've always loved that drawing,” commented Miller, when asked before the auction what his thoughts on its imminent sale were. “Danced around my studio like a fool when I drew it. I hope it finds a good home."

Re: Most Expensive Piece of American Comic Art Ever Sold

Makes sense.

Nice to see the black & white version.

That's some crazy cheddah, but images don't come much better.

A now the retailer in me wants to put a little sign in front of the Dark Knight TP at the store mentioning the sales figure for a piece of art contained within it. Not because I care much about such stuff, but just because it's an interesting fact to draw attention to an amazing comic.

I've noticed Dark Knight Returns is no longer the known classic it was in the 80s and 90s. Lots of folks never heard of it.

That is Batman to me. That image imprinted on me as a kid.

Wow, that's some serious cash...this will probably change the outlook of the original art market and we'll see more people buying up original art because they'll think it will be worth $500,000 later in life.

It's a nice page though... I know an original cover from Detective comics from the 40's sold at auction during SDCC last year, anyone know what that went for?

"Don't take Life too seriously, you'll never get out alive anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by The Hodag View Post

A now the retailer in me wants to put a little sign in front of the Dark Knight TP at the store mentioning the sales figure for a piece of art contained within it. Not because I care much about such stuff, but just because it's an interesting fact to draw attention to an amazing comic.

I've noticed Dark Knight Returns is no longer the known classic it was in the 80s and 90s. Lots of folks never heard of it.
    That's kind of sad. Hopefully with Year One getting the animated treatment it will help shine a light on Miller's Batman work.

DKR is THE Batman story for me.
    Facebook ID: Doug Hahner

Maybe it's gone the same route as classic literature? It's hard to get people to read the classic novels because they assume the books are outdated and not as enjoyable as modern work.

Quote Originally Posted by Thudpucker View Post
    Maybe it's gone the same route as classic literature? It's hard to get people to read the classic novels because they assume the books are outdated and not as enjoyable as modern work.
    That's part of it, but to some degree people just don't know what it is. The title of the project was once utterly unique, but now it's been the title of an unrelated Hollywood movie and shown up in lots of mainstream Batman projects - the animated series, lots of video games, etc. So when someone hears "The Dark Knight" it doesn't instantly register as Miller's project the way it did in the 80s and 90s. Factor in the slightly arthouse cover design along with Miller art that, even today, is still at odds with slicker, preferred styles, and it's not a book the casual Batman reader is likely to choose with the likes of Hush (Jim Lee art) next to it. It's got all those funky little panels and it looks creepy and weird.

I should say, it still sells solidly - it's just not instantly known as a classic. Neither is Year One. So I try to hand sell them as often as possible when I get Batman enthusiasts in the store.

And I did end up making up a quick sign this morning to promote it based on the crazy-high amount that original art just sold for. Monetary value still fascinates people, and if it might point them to a good story, I'm willing to exploit it.

That's part of it, but to some degree people just don't know what it is. The title of the project was once utterly unique, but now it's been the title of an unrelated Hollywood movie and shown up in lots of mainstream Batman projects - the animated series, lots of video games, etc. So when someone hears "The Dark Knight" it doesn't instantly register as Miller's project the way it did in the 80s and 90s. Factor in the slightly arthouse cover design along with Miller art that, even today, is still at odds with slicker, preferred styles, and it's not a book the casual Batman reader is likely to choose with the likes of Hush (Jim Lee art) next to it. It's got all those funky little panels and it looks creepy and weird.

I should say, it still sells solidly - it's just not instantly known as a classic. Neither is Year One. So I try to hand sell them as often as possible when I get Batman enthusiasts in the store.

And I did end up making up a quick sign this morning to promote it based on the crazy-high amount that original art just sold for. Monetary value still fascinates people, and if it might point them to a good story, I'm willing to exploit it.
    That's cool, hopefully it helps.

Who was the seller of this piece? I'm assuming Frank Miller, but couldn't tell from the article.