Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: I like "Born this Way" but I can't help but feel like Gaga is trying too hard

Re: I like "Born this Way" but I can't help but feel like Gaga is trying too hard

here's the very strange tale of Preform This Way:

Part the First:
    http://alyankovic.wordpress.com/the-gaga-saga/

Part Teh Duece:
    http://alyankovic.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/gaga-update/

Re: I like "Born this Way" but I can't help but feel like Gaga is trying too hard

Huh... apparently she's claiming the song is not an homage to "Express Yourself" and was never intended to be an homage to "Express Yourself."

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index....e_those_lyrics

In a feature for Britain's NME magazine, she says, "I am not stupid enough to put out a record and be that moronic... I'm a songwriter. I've written loads of music. Why would I try to put out a (copied) song and think I'm getting one over on everybody? That's retarded. What a completely ridiculous thing to even question me about. I will look you in your eyes and tell you that I am not dumb enough or moronic enough to think that you are dumb enough or moronic enough not to see that I would have stolen a melody."

"If you put the songs next to each other, side by side, the only similarities are the chord progression. It's the same one that's been in disco music for the last 50 years. Just because I'm the first f**king artist in 25 years to think of putting it on Top 40 radio, it doesn't mean I'm a plagiarist, it means that I'm f**king smart. Sorry...

"Nobody in this room at any point looked around and said, oh my God, it's Express Yourself. Not once... I was just f**king shell-shocked by it. It's so funny to hear you say, 'It must have been a homage', I'm like, no. When I homage, I f**king homage with a big sign saying I've done it. Why would I not do that now?"

The Poker Face hit-maker then wept as she added, "I feel like honestly that God sent me those lyrics and that melody. When you feel a message to give to the world and people are shooting arrows at it... there's no way for something that pure to be wrong."
    I'm figuring this mishegoss is part of the persona she's created, right? Is she just trolling?
    Movie news, features, reviews, and miscellany: My work at Flixist
    Movie reviews and criticism: My stuff on CriticWire

Join us. Resistance is futile.
    Change your default settings.

Grifter

OMG, she's turned into Vanilla Ice...NOW shes trying to hard.....

that's weird.

could have sworn I've heard her say it was an homage!

must be part of the persona. . . .
    "do what bert says" - Flamestar (c/o Ouzo Man)

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

Haha, I was about to say, she's basically said:

No, no, no.

See, their version goes like this: din-din-din din-din din-din, din-din-din din-din din-din

My version goes like this: din-din-din din-din din-din CHK DIN-din-din-din din-din din-din
    EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    that's weird.

could have sworn I've heard her say it was an homage!

must be part of the persona. . . .
    The weird thing is she's saying it's not an homage, but she's also admitting to lifting a chord progression from "Express Yourself" and many other songs over the last 50 years.

Either eat cake or have cake--can't do both. (And try not to eat the cake or have the cake while you're shitting on the pot or getting off the pot.)
    Last edited by Infra-Man; 04-20-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Infra-Man View Post
    Haha, I was about to say, she's basically said:
    assuming that's really the interview.

not too sure I believe Gaga would refer to somthing (even an idea) as "retarded"

makes me question the interview as being real, or paraphrased.

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    assuming that's really the interview.

not too sure I believe Gaga would refer to somthing (even an idea) as "retarded"

makes me question the interview as being real, or paraphrased.
    It's direct quotes that's citing the newest NME, which I don't subscribe to. Haven't even looked at the NME in a while. (As Art Brut once said in a song, I haven't read the NME in so long I'm not sure in which genre we belong.)

Bunch of other sites are quoting direct from NME as well, including HuffPo, New York Daily News, Us Magazine, Glamour.

But yeah, surprised she'd be so indelicate with her words that way.

well.. apparently the interview was legit, as she's now apologizing for the use of "Retarded"

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04...tarded/?hpt=T2

shoot.. there goes a little respect

still like most of her music tho.

God, I can't tell when she's trying to play me anymore.

This is kind of old news, but I just now got to see the Maria Aragon stuff. For those who don't know about it Maria is a ten year old girl that made a video of herself singing Born This Way, and posted it on Youtube. Apparently Lady Gaga saw it and loved it.

This video is Maria being interviewed on a radio show and Gaga calls in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DmxlfIn8U

And this video makes me a little sniffly. I just don't think the raw emotion showing on Gaga's face at the end can be faked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEB3nnIsAmQ