Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Hypothetical Birds of Prey Question

A Hypothetical Birds of Prey Question

I've loved Hawk and Dove in Birds of Prey, don't get me wrong. They started out, honestly, as sort of obtrusive and unwelcome, but by the end of Endrun, (Heh. End of Endrun.) they really grew on me, and I can't see the current team dynamic without them.

That said, I assume that, once the DC-wide White Lantern story wraps up, the pair will be jettisoned from the team, leaving the core four Birds of Oracle, Black Canary, Huntress, and Lady Blackhawk. So, if you had to round out the post-Brightest Day Birds with two new operatives, who would they be, and why?

As for my picks, I'll have to ruminate on them for a bit. I do know, personally, that I'd like to see some color in the Birds, and just now noticed that I'm sorely missing Misfit, much as I never thought I'd say that.

Thoughts?
    Tomato

Re: A Hypothetical Birds of Prey Question

Skyrocket and Iota are two characters I've thought might be good for BoP, and both happen to be women of color.

I used to think Booster and Beetle (Kord) could have worked with the style and tone Gail gives the book.

well... Brightest Day seems to be ending in April, and we've seen the May cover of BoP with Hawk and Dove, so Im going to assume they're sticking around.

I don't see them leaving.

But if they did add a new Bird, I'd prefer Gail create an original heroine of color. Failing that, I'd take the Question or Cassandra Cain, possibly Vixen.

Skyrocket (possible leadership struggle?)
    Rocket (does not really fit the team)
    Onyx (all ready working with Oracle so no problem)
    Failing that why not Aura..

I really want Renee, even as a guest star or recurring character. I think she would fit in nicely, and hell, I'd even take a short team-up with Huntress in the back.

But I'm with thequeerjock, I'd rather have Gail create a new character of color and his/her role in the book than try to make any one of these other characters fit to add some diversity.

As much as I adore Busiek, I've never gotten the appeal of Skyrocket. But hey, she has her fans.

I'd still love Bumblebee on the team as the Bond 'Q' role supplying gadgets and as an active player on the field.

Vixen, because she did well her first time around and I'd like her character more entrenched in the DCU. It was dumb to give her a mini and then drop her to limbo.

By the way... both of my choices just HAPPEN to be women of color. I like both characters a great deal. I do NOT want a character on the BoP JUST to fill out a quota. Personally, I think it is bullshit how much flak people on here and elsewhere have given Gail about it recently, and personally wish others would just (pardon my french) SHUT THE FUCK UP about it.

Quotas suck.
    I dress for the image. Not for myself, not for the public, not for fashion, not for men.
    -Marlene Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    Quotas suck.
    I agree, to an extent. I wouldn't want to force any sort of quota or diversity mandate on a writer. Gail, though, has said that she's actually been actively trying to get a woman of color on the team. Ultimately, I don't want the quest for diversity to eclipse the story or negatively impact the excellent team dynamic in Birds of Prey. If the storytelling stars align, so to speak, I'm all for it.

Tomato

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoSurprise View Post
    I agree, to an extent. I wouldn't want to force any sort of quota or diversity mandate on a writer. Gail, though, has said that she's actually been actively trying to get a woman of color on the team. Ultimately, I don't want the quest for diversity to eclipse the story or negatively impact the excellent team dynamic in Birds of Prey. If the storytelling stars align, so to speak, I'm all for it.

Tomato
    Posters here and elsewhere saying 'I don't care, create a person of color!' is ridiculous. It is merely a way to fill a quota. And thats bullshit.

There are tons of interesting characters available, if they would indeed be included in BoP. I don't want to have 'the black chick' on the team JUST because she is of color. That's stupid.

Diversity is wonderful. Quotas, not so much.
    I dress for the image. Not for myself, not for the public, not for fashion, not for men.
    -Marlene Dietrich