Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got attacked! >_< [Extreme language ahead!]

Just got attacked! >_< [Extreme language ahead!]

OK, so I've spent the last three days working in London, and came back to Birmingham today. In London, I was in some of the less reputable parts of the city - Camden, Soho, Earl's Court, Enfield, for those who know them. No problems, whatsoever.

Two minutes after getting off the train in Birmingham, some mouthy asian <UK usage - middle eastern, not oriental> lad comes up, starts yelling "Fucking white boy, what you think you're doing!", then started swinging punches and pushed me over. I jumped back up, pushed him back hard and he just ran off, swearing abuse at me. I'm fine, besides literally shaking with anger, thought I've just noticed the fall's fucked my phone up too. What a fucking cunt! And, of course, onlookers did nothing but gawp at the whole affair....

So, thoughts: does this count as a racially motivated attack? It was totally unprovoked, and the prick just seemed to take offense to my melanin levels. Or perhaps it was the brazen way I was leaving the train station, or crossing the road....

Second, do I bother reporting it to the police? I could still give a pretty good description, but he ran off and chances of them actually finding him - or even bothering to look, given I'm not terribly injured - are slim.

Gah, I'm SO angry right now!

Re: Just got attacked! >_< [Extreme language ahead!]

Quote Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
    OK, so I've spent the last three days working in London, and came back to Birmingham today. In London, I was in some of the less reputable parts of the city - Camden, Soho, Earl's Court, Enfield, for those who know them. No problems, whatsoever.

Two minutes after getting off the train in Birmingham, some mouthy asian <UK usage - middle eastern, not oriental> lad comes up, starts yelling "Fucking white boy, what you think you're doing!", then started swinging punches and pushed me over. I jumped back up, pushed him back hard and he just ran off, swearing abuse at me. I'm fine, besides literally shaking with anger, thought I've just noticed the fall's fucked my phone up too. What a fucking cunt! And, of course, onlookers did nothing but gawp at the whole affair....

So, thoughts: does this count as a racially motivated attack? It was totally unprovoked, and the prick just seemed to take offense to my melanin levels. Or perhaps it was the brazen way I was leaving the train station, or crossing the road....

Second, do I bother reporting it to the police? I could still give a pretty good description, but he ran off and chances of them actually finding him - or even bothering to look, given I'm not terribly injured - are slim.
    Sad to say but there was just such an incident here in DC. I am glad you are ok but expecting the police to dedicate resources to a random attack are slim to none. hard to say what kind of attack it was...racially or not but yeah...kids today are off the hook!

Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

If he made sure to call you "Fucking white boy" and you did NOTHING to provoke him, then yeah, that seems raciall motivated.

That's fucked up man.
    *Hugs*

Damn. So sorry about that!

I'd report him, if only to point to the police that this person might be hanging around the station and could do it again. At least they'd have some info in case there's another incident and could connect yours with that.
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

Sorry to hear this.

I think it's worth reporting: while it's unlikely anything will come of it, in terms of an arrest, the police need to know about this sort of thing. Whether it's racist or not, supplying them with the facts about any violent incident is important. There are all sorts of issues it might link too that could be unrelated to race, even if that was the language he abused you with: it wasn't necessarily a random act.

Anyhow, it's a nasty experience: you've my sympathy. Try to talk it through with friends and family as well.
    Last edited by trypr; 01-12-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Yeah, it certainly SOUNDS racial.

And I'd report it, just in case. It may be that they already have an idea who did it, especially if it has happened before, OR they might be able to match to an eyewitness or security cam. A longshot, but still worth it.

And Jesus, I'm just glad you're okay!

I doubt I'd report it, but I'd be interested in hearing what happens if you decide to do so.

-BCM
    --------------------------------------------------
    The NEW BCM Blog (opinions and whimsy)
    Twitter!
    --------------------------------------------------

Glad you are okay. The phone thing sucks though.

Definitely report it. Next time, he might attack someone with a knife or gun or something.
    Unless it was truly a drunken night one-off; these things usually get worse.
    "Able to leap powerful bullets with a speeding bound!"

"Able to do powerful speed while on a single locomotive?"

"Just so you know...
    Y'all are weird."-Larry Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by Flamebird View Post
    Glad you are okay. The phone thing sucks though.

Definitely report it. Next time, he might attack someone with a knife or gun or something.
    Unless it was truly a drunken night one-off; these things usually get worse.
    Nope, this was about 2:30pm UK time, and he seemed sober. Just a cunt looking for trouble, it seems - attacked a polite/non-threatening looking guy, then ran off when he realised I was going to defend myself.